Installing Onboard Scale?

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Not quite relevant to the thread, but I have a question about this.

I am adding the LHS ride height sensors to my 501A with projector headlamp swap to get the auto-level. Does this mean that my ride height sensors will not work unless I calibrate them with FDRS? I am not adding a VDM, I am wiring the ride height sensors directly to the HCM as is done with all 502A trucks without CCD/scales
I think no, only because there are no "calibration values" in the HCM as-built like you see in the VDM. I do not know for sure though.
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
In the F150 non-ccd or scales, there are only two height sensors. One front and one rear both on the drivers side. They send a analog signal to the HCM for leveling. No VDM.

1675208615092.png

CCD or Scales get 4 sensors (the sensors are different for CCD vs non-CCD) they feed into the VDM, they are calibrated in the VDM, and for leveling the HCM gets the "height" info over the CAN bus from the VDM.
Looks like my educated assumptions were correct lol. I’m glad when it happens like that

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I think no, only because there are no "calibration values" in the HCM as-built like you see in the VDM. I do not know for sure though.
I certainly hope that’s the case. In the little bit of Jessie’s brain I’ve been able to pick, he’s never mentioned having to calibrate the sensors, and he’s usually pretty thorough, so (here comes another educated assumption) I don’t believe there’s calibration needed SPECIFICALLY for the auto level from the ride height sensors. After all, it *should* be able to auto level based off of positional difference between the two height sensors.

antho

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 801A Raptor
Not quite relevant to the thread, but I have a question about this.

I am adding the LHS ride height sensors to my 501A with projector headlamp swap to get the auto-level. Does this mean that my ride height sensors will not work unless I calibrate them with FDRS? I am not adding a VDM, I am wiring the ride height sensors directly to the HCM as is done with all 502A trucks without CCD/scales
Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 1675210347102

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I certainly hope that’s the case. In the little bit of Jessie’s brain I’ve been able to pick, he’s never mentioned having to calibrate the sensors, and he’s usually pretty thorough, so (here comes another educated assumption) I don’t believe there’s calibration needed SPECIFICALLY for the auto level from the ride height sensors. After all, it *should* be able to auto level based off of positional difference between the two height sensors.
From my perspective its a sound assumption. The headlamp assemblies can be manually leveled, so if done in a relatively level truck condition, the HCM then simply looks at the difference in analog output front to rear and adjusts accordingly. Auto leveling seems like a relatively unsophisticated calculation compared to scales or the next level up CCD. In those cases fronts to rear and side to side become a factor.

Sponsored

Taco1588

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Tacoma, 21 Titan P4X, 23 F350 Lariat (on order)
Occupation
Retired
In the F150 non-ccd or scales, there are only two height sensors. One front and one rear both on the drivers side. They send a analog signal to the HCM for leveling. No VDM.

1675208615092.png

CCD or Scales get 4 sensors (the sensors are different for CCD vs non-CCD) they feed into the VDM, they are calibrated in the VDM, and for leveling the HCM gets the "height" info over the CAN bus from the VDM.
So if im understanding correctly, the non CCD and scales just have these 2 sensors. CCD and scales have 4 sensors and there's one at each corner right? Do we have a diagram showing the 4 sensors and where they go?

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales
I am not sure why you would want the scales most useless option in my truck … the next one will not have it , they take away 25 lbs of payload and don’t do jack shiet. Save your money

Last edited:

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
So if im understanding correctly, the non CCD and scales just have these 2 sensors. CCD and scales have 4 sensors and there's one at each corner right? Do we have a diagram showing the 4 sensors and where they go?
Correct.

They go directly to the VDM. When I have moment I will dig up the diagram.

LD50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Raptor, 2022 Lariat on order
If you're asking where the 4 sensors are physically mounted, they're not. The sensors on the CCD trucks are the CCD shocks.

Taco1588

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Tacoma, 21 Titan P4X, 23 F350 Lariat (on order)
Occupation
Retired
If you're asking where the 4 sensors are physically mounted, they're not. The sensors on the CCD trucks are the CCD shocks.
Right what about the trucks that dont have the CCD, theres still 4. Im asking because I have a 2023 Superduty coming and Scales is an option, but CCD is not an option on superdutys. So ford has another way of doing scales without CCD. We have figured out that the 4 sensors still go to the VDM, so its probably a different VDM, or different programing.

Sponsored

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Right what about the trucks that dont have the CCD, theres still 4. Im asking because I have a 2023 Superduty coming and Scales is an option, but CCD is not an option on superdutys. So ford has another way of doing scales without CCD. We have figured out that the 4 sensors still go to the VDM, so its probably a different VDM, or different programing.
There are sensors just above the leaf springs. There is a good pic of the front sensors earlier in the thread, the rear sensors look very similar to those (on non CCD trucks).

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Maybe it’s been mentioned earlier in the thread, but it’s not like the scales give an “exact” number. I suppose you could put measured amounts in there and kinda see where the scale shows, but other than that, it just shows an approximate or shall I say estimated? amount.

Tailight leds are kinda cool, and telling you that your over payload is cool, but that’s about it. I’d venture a guess that most of us worried about going over payload pretty much can already guesstimate where we are at.

Those that fall into the other category, won’t really use it anyway.

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
Maybe it’s been mentioned earlier in the thread, but it’s not like the scales give an “exact” number. I suppose you could put measured amounts in there and kinda see where the scale shows, but other than that, it just shows an approximate or shall I say estimated? amount.

Tailight leds are kinda cool, and telling you that your over payload is cool, but that’s about it. I’d venture a guess that most of us worried about going over payload pretty much can already guesstimate where we are at.

Those that fall into the other category, won’t really use it anyway.
Agreed. I do use mine quite a bit but it’s mostly just for reference and curiosity.

I actually use mine more to dial in my airbags. I pump them up until my scales show where my truck was before it was loaded.
Sponsored