Installing Onboard Scale?

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
You need new front and rear struts and shocks. The suspension has valves at the top and in the rear it uses the shocks for scales not the height sensors. The front still retains the height sensor on the driver and adds the passenger side. No height sensors in the rear. The info is sent into the VDM and then through can to the HCM for the headlamps

The scales require the suspension. Not height sensors.
Interesting. It seems like using the height sensors that are there for leveling the headlights would have been an easier way to track payload at least, but I guess then that would't allow any trim level to get the onboard scales. You would have needed the upgraded headlights. The lesson here is that I should have just ordered what I wanted and been patient instead of jumping to buy one off the lot.
Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I dont think scales were even available until Job 2 trucks anyways. SO if you were early buyer it wasnt even an option

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
You need new front and rear struts and shocks. The suspension has valves at the top and in the rear it uses the shocks for scales not the height sensors. The front still retains the height sensor on the driver and adds the passenger side. No height sensors in the rear. The info is sent into the VDM and then through can to the HCM for the headlamps

The scales require the suspension. Not height sensors.
I have onboard scales on my truck, but do not have continuously controlled dampening or shocks with valves.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have onboard scales on my truck, but do not have continuously controlled dampening or shocks with valves.
What’s your vin?

DK4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
What’s your vin?
Sent.

I was just browsing this thread trying to get an idea of what is gonna happen to my scales after I level my truck.

Probably need a recalibration or something.

Sponsored

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yeah I was incorrect. Looks like you just need the VDM and I guess height sensors. He does have the VDM. That does make it easier if you have the projector headlights

Still wiring has to be done in terms of routing the height sensors to the VDM rather than the HCM

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Jesse, I suspect that the device nested into the square cover over the rear shocks is the device that "measures" as a scale?
You can see from the close-up that the CCD is the wire going into the shock body itself, but the scale harness is plugged into whatever is nested in the square plastic shell. (the shell is flexible around the round shock portion, but very stiff from whatever is inside it in the portion that is not touching the shock body)

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 20220508_184837

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 20220508_184652

At the front you similarly have wiring going into the bottom of the strut for CCD, but I assume the auto-leverler device on each side serves dual purpose for headlights and scales?

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 20220430_105919

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 20220430_175923

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
APIM
7D0-01-04 xxxx xxxx 78 - Enables the onboard scales and smart hitch menus
7D0-02-02 xxxx xxxx 01 - Enables the taillight indicator control

BCM
726-85-01 xxxx xxx1 xx
726-87-01 xxxx xxxx x1 - These two enable the tail light load indicators

BCMC
6F0-01-01 xxxx x3xx xx - Unknown but I suspect this allows power to the taillight load indicators with the ignition off and supports ford pass. Every scale truck has the "3" ones without have a "1". Also could be power for the VDM module.

HCM
734-01-01 xxxx x2xx xx - Tells the HCM to use the can bus signal from the VDM for head light leveling vs analog signal.

734-01-04 xxx0 A1 - CRC change that makes the first HCM change a valid configuration to avoid "Check Headlights" warning. This based on my truck and similar Lariats with scales. If you King Ranch has a 6 ft bed your code will be different.
Stumbled across this thread and thought I would give it a try on my 2022 502a Lariat that has CCD but no scales. Made the APIM and BCM changes, no changes to the BCMC or HCM as those values were already there. No luck, I see the “scales not operational, see dealer” message.
Wondering if anyone has been successful adding scales to this particular configuration?

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That's crazy that you can get CCD without scales. Makes no sense.

I can understand scales without CCD, of course, but not the other way around.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Stumbled across this thread and thought I would give it a try on my 2022 502a Lariat that has CCD but no scales. Made the APIM and BCM changes, no changes to the BCMC or HCM as those values were already there. No luck, I see the “scales not operational, see dealer” message.
Wondering if anyone has been successful adding scales to this particular configuration?
You should be in a potentially good position to get this working.

I think, although I have no way to confirm, that running the onboard scale calibration in FDRS would get you live. Your truck is probably only missing the calibration values in the VDM specific to onboard scales.

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
I think, although I have no way to confirm, that running the onboard scale calibration in FDRS would get you live. Your truck is probably only missing the calibration values in the VDM specific to onboard scales.
Thanks Justin. I will file this one away for later. Neat feature but not a must have by any means. New to Forscan, not sure if a mongoose cable and FDRS are in my future or not.

McGuyver

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tundra, Grand National
That's crazy that you can get CCD without scales. Makes no sense.
Yep, but glad that you can. I wanted the CCD but the option cost for adding the onboard scales was just not worth it for me.

Taco1588

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Tacoma, 21 Titan P4X, 23 F350 Lariat (on order)
Occupation
Retired
Unfortunately the news is not great. I reviewed the wiring diagrams in preparation for ordering a VDM and trying to add this to my truck. The auto leveling sensors we all have on the LH side of the truck are indeed used for onboard scales as well. There is a slightly different wiring harness that routes their signal to the VDM instead of the HCM for the head lights as it currently is. Now the the really unfortunate part is that the scales system uses two more of those same sensors installed on the RH side of the truck. We lack those completely, but it appears at least portions of the wiring exist.

So I would say it is technically possible to add scales, the scope of work makes it more than it’s worth for me. At a minimum we need: VDM, 2 additional height sensors, some wiring harnesses or custom wiring, and a boat load of programming.

The height sensors get calibrated using FDRS so it might be possible to address suspension changes by recalibrating after changing a suspension part.
Hey man. So I know this isn't F150 related but I just put in an order for a 23 F350 Lariat with Lariat ultimate package. The on board scale wasn't an option for me to choose, however ford will be introducing it as an option on lariat in the spring. I did not realize this was going to become an option for superduty till today when I saw it on fords website. However, it states it will be available for Lariat, King Ranch, Platinum, and Limited. Im assuming since ill be getting the ultimate package, I will be up there with the other 3 wiring wise. So far the main difference was massaging seats (which ford has now put a stop too, due to part availably), power up tailgate, and ascetics that I that I can tell. Plus I can order Lariat now, not the other 3. I am curious to see how they equip the 23 Lariat against the other 3, and how possible it would be to add. I am assuming I will run into the same issues yall F150 guys are running into. I too would like to see if I can do this and possibly get it up and running especially since we dont have the CCD and its not an option.
Sponsored