First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Is adding scales a practical thing to consider on a Job1 MY21 HDPP? If it has any bearing on the existence of certain wire harnesses, it has Co-Pilot 360 Assist 2.0 and 360 cameras. I really don't want to replace every wire harness in the truck but am willing to add a few parts and connect things where most of the connections are already there.
Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Is adding scales a practical thing to consider on a Job1 MY21 HDPP? If it has any bearing on the existence of certain wire harnesses, it has Co-Pilot 360 Assist 2.0 and 360 cameras. I really don't want to replace every wire harness in the truck but am willing to add a few parts and connect things where most of the connections are already there.
Depends what you want to use it for. I have the Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch. I ordered the feature so I could watch my tongue weight for towing my travel trailer.

It's pretty much useless since I have to guess the weight of my trailer anyway for the system to determine how much weight should be on my tongue.

When I ordered it, I was under the impression it was supposed to know the weights once the trailer was hooked up. I guess I was naive.

If that's what you want it for, you'd probably be better off with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2000-Trailer-Hydraulic-Tongue/dp/B0825BT11W

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? Screenshot 2023-11-09 083919

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
Depends what you want to use it for. I have the Onboard Scales and Smart Hitch. I ordered the feature so I could watch my tongue weight for towing my travel trailer.
It may be useful to me for measuring tongue weight on the fly because I have a Propride weight distributing hitch on which I can adjust the spring tension on the fly. I'm not certain of how valuable that would be, though, since it includes what's in the bed and cab.

Reactions: 780

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It may be useful to me for measuring tongue weight on the fly because I have a Propride weight distributing hitch on which I can adjust the spring tension on the fly. I'm not certain of how valuable that would be, though, since it includes what's in the bed and cab.
You have to guess the weight of what is in the bed and cab to enter it into OnBoard scales as well.

But, yes, using the taillights or dash display you can adjust the tongue weight and see where you're at provided you don't have my issue...

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? 1

Sponsored

Boen

First Name
andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F-150 Platinum
I was wondering this too. can you retro fit(install) onboard scales?

redline

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150, BMW X5, BMW M3,
Occupation
Sales

It's pretty much useless since I have to guess the weight of my trailer anyway for the system to determine how much weight should be on my tongue.

When I ordered it, I was under the impression it was supposed to know the weights once the trailer was hooked up. I guess I was naive.

If that's what you want it for, you'd probably be better off with this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-2000-Trailer-Hydraulic-Tongue/dp/B0825BT11W

Screenshot 2023-11-09 083919.png
best post in this thread. i have it in my truck as well and i find it quite useless... i use my tongue weight scale!!

and i wish that i had the 25lbs of payload that this option takes

Last edited:
Reactions: 780

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I was wondering this too. can you retro fit(install) onboard scales?
Most likely, but it’s a lot of work for so little in return. If you don’t have CCD, you’ll need all 4 ride height sensors (1 at each wheel) plus the VDM. Then you’ll have to wire it all up, and running that wiring will be time consuming. You’ll also need new tail lights if you want the tail lamp scales indicators. I’m not sure if these are required, but feel pretty certain they’re not

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
best post in this thread. i have it in my truck as well and i find it quite useless... i use my tongue weight scale!!

and i wish that i had the 25lbs of payload that this option takes

Kyle
I takes up 25 lbs of payload? Damn. That's a lot of tacos I could've packed instead.
Sponsored