First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 3.0 Diesel
Occupation
Self
Is it possible to add the onboard Scale to your truck if it didn't come with it? I took delivery of my truck on 4/2021 and I was told it wasn't till 7/2021 when it was available.
Sponsored

Blueshound

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I hope so. I'll never spend a dime on cosmetic upgrades, but am a total nerd for any useful tech.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
I did a lot of digging on this with the help of other members on this forum using forscan. The short answer is yes you can if you have one of the higher trim trucks. All of the equipment and software is there, BUT we are missing one module. We need a VDM. I still have plans to acquire VDM at some point and finish the install / validation

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I did a lot of digging on this with the help of other members on this forum using forscan. The short answer is yes you can if you have one of the higher trim trucks. All of the equipment and software is there, BUT we are missing one module. We need a VDM. I still have plans to acquire VDM at some point and finish the install / validation
My truck has the Lariat trim. I got it in early April. What all would I have to do?

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Interesting! I seem to remember Ford’s official stance was that it could not added to a truck.

I have a Platinum Powerboost with tow technology, max tow, etc. I would assume I have the equipment packages I would need.

Also, what is a VDM?

Sponsored

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Just to be clear I have not yet fully tested since I need to install the missing VDM module to 100% confirm function. My assumption, which I plan to verify at some point, is the wiring exists to install the VDM on the earlier trucks. I doubt they changed the harnesses for JOB2 trucks. Also my truck is a JOB2 truck (July) but tremor does not offer the scales as an option period, so my truck might have wiring yours does not. I doubt it though.

If your Larait is a 502A you should have everything else you need already minus the VDM. The scales system uses the same sensors as the auto leveling headlights.

The LED tail lights in my truck even have the load indicators.

Once a VDM is installed and programmed you would need to change a handfull of settings in various modules with FORScan to enable the scales.

I am happy to share the forscan changes with anyone who wants to be a guinea pig via PM. I did not want to send them wide on the forum until I could workout instructions for adding a VDM to a truck without one. It’s pointless without that missing module and that makes this a slightly more advanced mod than most forescan changes.

Last edited:

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
Interesting! I seem to remember Ford’s official stance was that it could not added to a truck.

I have a Platinum Powerboost with tow technology, max tow, etc. I would assume I have the equipment packages I would need.

Also, what is a VDM?
Yes my current opinion is you should have the necessary hardware minus the VDM. I reserve the right to be completely wrong until I fully vet it out though ;) The main component is the load sensors on the front and rear suspension which are also used for the auto leveling head lights on non scale trucks.

VDM = Vehicle Dynamics Module

Still some work to do but so far it seems possible.

tn.lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Screw Powerboost 501a
Occupation
retail
There was a youtube video review by Fast Lane Guys which showed how scale worked and different shocks with a sensor built in for load sensoring.

DaHealey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Tacoma
Hmm, that would be interesting. There are already sensors in the back of the truck to ensure the headlights are level regardless of load, so you’d think that’s all you need. Smart shocks just seems unnecessarly complex.

ROBB1

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Tremor
There was a youtube video review by Fast Lane Guys which showed how scale worked and different shocks with a sensor built in for load sensoring.
Hmm, that would be interesting. There are already sensors in the back of the truck to ensure the headlights are level regardless of load, so you’d think that’s all you need. Smart shocks just seems unnecessarly complex.
If I watched the correct video, that truck also had CCD adaptive suspension. The “special” shocks are part of that system. You can order scales without CCD.

There are load / level sensors on the driver rear leaf and driver front upper control arm of trucks with auto leveling headlights. That appears to be what Ford uses to feed the Scales, but also CCD if you have that option. The was a writeup awhile back that stated Ford had figured out how to use existing sensors to implement the scales option.

Sponsored

tonesto7

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat 502A | 3.5L PowerBoost
Occupation
IT Admin | Software Developer
I'm pretty sure we just need the VDM module for the scale functionality. The VDM module is also responsible for CCD suspension I believe
The issue is getting a VDM module as it was one of the modules that were part of the chip shortage.
I would also like to add Adaptive steering but that requires a SASM module in the steering column (I'm not sure if the whole column needs replaced).
Maybe soon I can obtain those once supplies increase.
If anyone finds a VDM module cheap please share it here

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I'm pretty sure we just need the VDM module for the scale functionality. The VDM module is also responsible for CCD suspension I believe
The issue is getting a VDM module as it was one of the modules that were part of the chip shortage.
I would also like to add Adaptive steering but that requires a SASM module in the steering column (I'm not sure if the whole column needs replaced).
Maybe soon I can obtain those once supplies increase.
If anyone finds a VDM module cheap please share it here

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
I have a question about this picture of this on the driver side of my truck. Is this part of the scale system on the 2021 F150's? My salesman told me it maybe part of the scale system. I would like to remove this, because it would like to install some airbags on my truck. Do you think that
if I removed this it would interfere with anything else on the truck. Thanks

Ford F-150 Installing Onboard Scale? Thing on Truck

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I have a question about this picture of this on the driver side of my truck. Is this part of the scale system on the 2021 F150's? My salesman told me it maybe part of the scale system. I would like to remove this, because it would like to install some airbags on my truck. Do you think that
if I removed this it would interfere with anything else on the truck. Thanks

Thing on Truck.jpg
If you don’t have scales, it’s only for the auto leveling headlights. There is an airbag that keeps the height sensor in place though.

OP
OP

Ford 3.0 Diesel

First Name
Les
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self
If you don’t have scales, it’s only for the auto leveling headlights. There is an airbag that keeps the height sensor in place though.
Sponsored