First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum, 2020 Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
I’m a tire man
I had a transfer switch installed on the house today. Most of my appliances, HVAC, and hot water heater are gas. I haven’t tested it yet. Has anyone else done this yet? I’m thinking the 7.2 kw can power most of the house.
Sponsored

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

LIVRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Explorer, escape
Occupation
Engineer
I had a transfer switch installed on the house today. Most of my appliances, HVAC, and hot water heater are gas. I haven’t tested it yet. Has anyone else done this yet? I’m thinking the 7.2 kw can power most of the house.
Awesome! How much was it (unifying labor) and can you post a link of which you got?

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
Awesome! How much was it (unifying labor) and can you post a link of which you got?
Im not sure which one I got. I just called an electrician and he supplied and installed. All in I think it was in the 600 dollar range. I should have in invoice in the next week or so

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
Im not sure which one I got. I just called an electrician and he supplied and installed. All in I think it was in the 600 dollar range. I should have in invoice in the next week or so
How do you hook it up? Do you use the dog bone? It is weird having two legs to pull from IMO. I would have the electrician check all of that out and test it for you.

OP
OP
Tireman

Tireman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I’m a tire man
How do you hook it up? Do you use the dog bone? It is weird having two legs to pull from IMO. I would have the electrician check all of that out and test it for you.
The electrician made a 30 ft cable. Plugs from the truck to the transfer switch. But I hear the dog bone is a good option. My IT guy ordered one but I haven’t checked it out yet

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
The electrician made a 30 ft cable. Plugs from the truck to the transfer switch. But I hear the dog bone is a good option. My IT guy ordered one but I haven’t checked it out yet
I guess I don’t totally understand if it has to pull from both legs to get to 7.2kw or if the 30amp connection can deliver it all?

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Don’t use the dog bone when powering your transfer switch! Using the dog bone will only power half of the circuits supplied by the transfer switch.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I want photos and invoice details, I need to do the same for mine. That price sounds excellent too.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I guess I don’t totally understand if it has to pull from both legs to get to 7.2kw or if the 30amp connection can deliver it all?
Your house knows how to handle 2 hots coming in from the power grid already, there is probably already at least one 240V socket for an electric dryer, and some have a 2nd one for an electric range or oven. The transfer switch SHOULD take in that standard L14-30 locking plug just like in the back of the truck, the 30ft cord should be just an extension with L14-30P on one end and L14-30R on the other. The transfer switch will allow you to safely switch to take both hots from the city grid or the generator plug.

Remember each hot pin (of the 4 pins on the generator) is 120V 30A. Neither is 240V, it is 240V differential BETWEEN them. Both will properly route within the house. The transfer switch SHOULD take 4 pins not 3.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
The dogbone would be to adapt to your RV/rig. The house transfer switch should be the standard generator twist lock plug.

Can you take a pic of the transfer switch receptacle, and both ends of your 30ft extension cord? I think that will clear up confusion and educate us.

SJLCJL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX4, 2017 Mustang GT Premium
The easiest way to do all of this is with a Generlink meter mounted transfer switch..
Your local power company may even offer it as an option through them..

It is automatic so when the power comes back on it will auto transfer back to normal utility power..

It will power your whole panel.. You still have to load manage but being able to power up anything it can handle is a plus..