Installed Transfer Switch in House

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
As to CSA vs NEC... I refer to the NEC in my posts as I'm in the USA and that is what I know. Any differences with the CSA must be handled by those in Canada with knowledge of the CSA.
Sponsored

Kalidor

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB King Ranch
Occupation
Network Engineer
Thanks to the positive information posted on this thread, I worked with an electrician who installed a Generac 9854. He recommended this model based on my homes unique set up. I've tested it, and it's all working great. I can run my well pump, freezers, fridge, sump pump, and some lights. I know I may not be able to do that all at the same time, but I'm comfortable with managing the loads.
Ford F-150 Installed Transfer Switch in House 20220620_120457
Ford F-150 Installed Transfer Switch in House 20220620_115432

Well pump surge test

jeshoffstall

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
sales
I have two replies from Generlink that the Powerboost will not work with the GFCI - it will trip the breaker the generator as soon as it detects the Generlink.

Handle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mustang
Well
I have two replies from Generlink that the Powerboost will not work with the GFCI - it will trip the breaker the generator as soon as it detects the Generlink.
At least they’re consistent. No getting around bonded neutral issue and needing special TS
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/installed-transfer-switch-in-house.1267/page-12

Here is a pic from their website listing compatible generators showing the F150 listing. Shame there are so many genset that work with Genlink

Ford F-150 Installed Transfer Switch in House 6EFA13A3-B243-4348-975B-C4F162F7F712

Last edited:

scott011422

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 502a PB 7.2k 4x4 157"
Occupation
Engineer
So, odd thing. I was at my parents this weekend and my father noticed he used the same plug as the PowerBoost. I told him it wouldn't work as he doesn't' have the correct box. He has a cheep Menards manual box we installed 20-25 years ago. Defiantly only switches the two hots. Shockingly he plugged it in and it worked great! 2200 watts on "A" and 3100 watts on "B"

So the question is, what gives? Did ford make an OTA update so this isn't a problem? Or, does his box have a problem (Most Likely) I know there are 4 connected wires in the plug and a junction box on the other side of the garage where it enters the house. I'm prolly going to have to move the bed thats infront of the panel and open it up to see whats going on. I'm assuming there is something off on how he connected his neutrals and grounds. I can pretty much guarantee he hooked that panel up the same way as the main panel. (Bonded) It may be very interesting opening that panel.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
If you open the ground wire, then it'll work. I infer the neutral was not opened as you saw power flowing on both A & B sides.

Yves

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021 Powerboost XLT 302A 360 Camera 7.2KW
Occupation
Retired
So, odd thing. I was at my parents this weekend and my father noticed he used the same plug as the PowerBoost. I told him it wouldn't work as he doesn't' have the correct box. He has a cheep Menards manual box we installed 20-25 years ago. Defiantly only switches the two hots. Shockingly he plugged it in and it worked great! 2200 watts on "A" and 3100 watts on "B"

So the question is, what gives? Did ford make an OTA update so this isn't a problem? Or, does his box have a problem (Most Likely) I know there are 4 connected wires in the plug and a junction box on the other side of the garage where it enters the house. I'm prolly going to have to move the bed thats infront of the panel and open it up to see whats going on. I'm assuming there is something off on how he connected his neutrals and grounds. I can pretty much guarantee he hooked that panel up the same way as the main panel. (Bonded) It may be very interesting opening that panel.
It will be interesting to see how it's connected. I believe if you add a secondary panel you are supposed to remove the bonding screw on the secondary panel. Probably a lot of people don't remove it... I wonder if this could be the difference between working and not working in some situation. Anyway I spoke to an electrician this week-end and he always switch the 2x hots and the neutral on the generator panel as this is the safest way. I know several members don't share that thought :)

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
I have a simple interlock that works just fine with my portable generator. That’s not gonna work with the PB right?

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
I have a simple interlock that works just fine with my portable generator. That’s not gonna work with the PB right?
That’s unfortunately right. The Powerboost adds a second ground to your service, causing the Powerboost to shut off by detecting a ground fault. You have to have a neutral switching transfer switch to make this work correc.

Sponsored

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Not sure what you mean by simple interlock... There are interlocks available from the panel manufacturers. To comply with the NEC you need one. They are simple in that they mechanically block the main line input breaker and generator input breaker from being shut at the same time. They are permanently mounted on the breaker panel. This is important in that they are a safety item to prevent a worker out on the local grid from electrocution and second if your generator were on and the main line grid came up there would be a fire in your panel.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
While using a dryer plugin to power the house works, it is dangerous. This is because it will likely not have an interlock and you could then have both the dryer breaker shut and the main input breaker shut. As to loads, for a typical house you will likely have no more than 1 to 3 kW without an oven, dryer, or water heater (each about 4 kW). A well pump is likely 1 to 1.5 HP thus 750w to 1100W. Also keep in mind that the 7.2kW generator is a true 7.2 kW because the engine is so much larger than the electrical rating that you don't derate for altitude. I'm at 7500 feet and lose 30% of engine capacity on a regular generator.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
Not sure what you mean by simple interlock... There are interlocks available from the panel manufacturers. To comply with the NEC you need one. They are simple in that they mechanically block the main line input breaker and generator input breaker from being shut at the same time. They are permanently mounted on the breaker panel. This is important in that they are a safety item to prevent a worker out on the local grid from electrocution and second if your generator were on and the main line grid came up there would be a fire in your panel.
That’s what I have installed. In order to power up the breaker box from the generator you have to physically switch off the 150A main breaker. Both the box and the interlock are made by EATON.

hussar1683

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB (on order)
That’s unfortunately right. The Powerboost adds a second ground to your service, causing the Powerboost to shut off by detecting a ground fault. You have to have a neutral switching transfer switch to make this work correc.
Too bad. I still like my generator and that’s what I’ve been using for years for occasional power outages. It sure would be nice to be able to use a truck as a backup.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
That’s what I have installed. In order to power up the breaker box from the generator you have to physically switch off the 150A main breaker. Both the box and the interlock are made by EATON.
K, no sweat, this is so important that I wanted to insure all would understand it.
Sponsored