Sponsored

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I'm trying to figure out how to remove the roll oversteer.

I love the ability to soak up bumps but it really could do with some roll attention without stiffening the ride...

I'm looking for a real suspension solution.....
Just a tip for you to explore. Search for Helwig anti sway bar for the rear. From the limited vids that I could find it showed a nice reduction in the "roll" but no overkill. It does have settings for firmness so you may have to fiddle with it to get something you like. It is not a cheap date but it does look outstanding. Good luck.
Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
Just a tip for you to explore. Search for Helwig anti sway bar for the rear. From the limited vids that I could find it showed a nice reduction in the "roll" but no overkill. It does have settings for firmness so you may have to fiddle with it to get something you like. It is not a cheap date but it does look outstanding. Good luck.
Hi
Thanks for that. I appreciate it but I have looked at the Helwig and it appears to hang very low on the rear.
That said, my truck is in the shop and I have an older XLT (2020?) loaner that simply KILLS my lariat in handling.... I'm shocked at how much better this truck is than my high dollar ride on the road....

I'm going to find an experienced suspension shop locally as either there is something wrong or this thing needs help :unsure:

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150

We have a (65mph) Tollway here that has a couple of sweeping curves and I have to brace my left knee against the door trim and be VERY alert that some numpty isn't changing lanes without warning as my truck is very sensitive to steering input at speed. It lurches from understeer to massive oversteer with any change of steering angle.....

I love the ability to soak up bumps but it really could do with some roll attention without stiffening the ride...

Sounds like you alignment is out.

OP
OP

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations

We have a (65mph) Tollway here that has a couple of sweeping curves and I have to brace my left knee against the door trim and be VERY alert that some numpty isn't changing lanes without warning as my truck is very sensitive to steering input at speed. It lurches from understeer to massive oversteer with any change of steering angle.....

new shocks could help improve this but part of the issue is just a symptom of a solid rear axle. Best you can do is to maintain contact with the road with better shocks but when a solid axle is upset in a corner, oversteer can happen.

or slow down.

Hi
Thanks for that. I appreciate it but I have looked at the Helwig and it appears to hang very low on the rear.
That said, my truck is in the shop and I have an older XLT (2020?) loaner that simply KILLS my lariat in handling.... I'm shocked at how much better this truck is than my high dollar ride on the road....

I'm going to find an experienced suspension shop locally as either there is something wrong or this thing needs help :unsure:
Does your lariat have 20” wheels? Lower trim like my 2021 XLT has 18” which improved the ride significantly vs my 2020 STX that had 20” wheels. The extra weight of that wheel makes the weak stock shocks perform even worse. A 21+ should ride better, everything else being equal between the trucks like towing and off-road packages.

Adding the rear sway bar will increase the roll stiffness on the rear which could induce snap oversteer even easier. The sway bar would keep the truck flatter in the corners which could help maintain grip from all 4 tires but going too stiff in the rear could make rear traction worse.

Shocks on all 4 corners first. Then you could go with a sway bar if you want to try it but start on the softest setting to not upset the roll stiffness balance between front and rear and induce more oversteer when you’re not expecting it

Last edited:

Sponsored

HDT05

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 5.0
new shocks could help improve this but part of the issue is just a symptom of a solid rear axle. Best you can do is to maintain contact with the road with better shocks but when a solid axle is upset in a corner, oversteer can happen.

or slow down.
Ha ha.... I'm the slowest on the Tollway.... other drivers are flying past me at 75/80.....

It's not being upset in a corner. The issue is there are multi apex sweeping bends that either tighten mid bend or straighten and that second apex that requires correction means the truck lurches into a roll oversteer and I have to brace my leg sideways / be very careful on the line I pick.

Does your lariat have 20” wheels? Lower trim like my 2021 XLT has 18” which improved the ride significantly vs my 2020 STX that had 20” wheels. The extra weight of that wheel makes the weak stock shocks perform even worse. A 21+ should ride better, everything else being equal between the trucks like towing and off-road packages.
Yes it does have the bigger wheels. I have the 20's with the Max Tow FX4. I know that means I have more rake and an extra leaf in the rear suspension but I haven't paid attention to what shocks I have. This is why I'm searching for someone knowledgeable and not just someone who wants to sell me a lift kit.....

Thanks for your help!!

jordandev

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A (on order...)
Put 5100 rears on my max tow truck and felt the same improvement. Very nice upgrade for the $ and effort. Still considering doing the fronts sometime soon for more.

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I installed the Helwig 7743 bar which is for the 2020 model. This is what Helwig suggested for my 2021 until they came out with the new # which is almost twice the price. Yes it hangs lower than I would like. I have about 7000 miles on it and I don't go off road , so its not a problem. Shocks on the rear will probably be the next addition. It has been almost 20 years since my last truck, so I had to get used to the handling.

OP
OP

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
from a suspension standpoint, a bump or a change of direction mid corner is an “upset”

It's not being upset in a corner. The issue is there are multi apex sweeping bends that either tighten mid bend or straighten and that second apex that requires correction means the truck lurches into a roll oversteer and I have to brace my leg sideways / be very careful on the line I pick.

Yes it does have the bigger wheels. I have the 20's with the Max Tow FX4. I know that means I have more rake and an extra leaf in the rear suspension but I haven't paid attention to what shocks I have. This is why I'm searching for someone knowledgeable and not just someone who wants to sell me a lift kit.....

Thanks for your help!!
from a suspension standpoint, a bump or a change of direction mid corner is an “upset”

Definitely need better shocks to control the stiff rear end of max tow and those heavy 20” wheels. With the max tow stiff springs and adding a rear Sway bar will make the rear end very stiff and without shocks to control that, could make handling unpredictable.

your FX4 package may have better shocks or even branded shocks but those are still valved to Fords specs and are not the same as that shock in the aftermarket.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SportySpace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 3.5
I have a set of 4600's ready to install - part #33253183. The rear end has stepped out on me a few times off pavement so looking to settle that down, reduce body roll, & add some towing stability.

Before I break out the wrenches, do they go on boots up or boots down? I didn't see anything to specify orientation in the paperwork that Bilstein provided with the shocks. I'm assuming down as there are small drain holes in the boot by the bushing and you can read "BILSTEIN" on the shock right side up.

OP
OP

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
I have a set of 4600's ready to install - part #33253183. The rear end has stepped out on me a few times off pavement so looking to settle that down, reduce body roll, & add some towing stability.

Before I break out the wrenches, do they go on boots up or boots down? I didn't see anything to specify orientation in the paperwork that Bilstein provided with the shocks. I'm assuming down as there are small drain holes in the boot by the bushing and you can read "BILSTEIN" on the shock right side up.
I installed mine exactly as the original shocks are installed, Which would be boot up. I took several pics of each original shock and installed the bilstein exactly the same, even down to which side the nut and bolt were on. Internet says torque spec is 66 ft lbs

ARegularJoe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2 Order: 22 Lariat 500A/3.5 EB/FX4/Max Tow/+
Last edited:

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles