Sponsored

installed a real 2k power inverter

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
After getting a 21 loaded platinum w/ the 2k oem inverter, i found it wouldnt properly work with a couple select power tools, the main one being a variable temp heat gun i use often tinting vehicles...while being a 'lemon' truck, i got a new 22 without the $2000 inverter option, just the basic 400watt and installed my own inverter and it only cost about $400 and a couple hours to install. Got everything from Amazon and it takes up 1/2 the space and was easy to do. Just drilled 2 access holes 1.25" for the new 10ft.cord,1 in the bed and 1 into the cab which plugged directly into the inverter, screw down the inverter, and run a power cable to the battery with a circuit breaker. Oh and no annoying fan noise like the 21' every single time ya started the truck and had to go into the menu and turn the inverter system off ! Plus I can now plug something either in the bed or in the cab when the 400watt isnt enough. But now all my tools work and is a much better solution for a 1/4 the price.

Here is a link in case you want to try it yourself:

power cord
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLR8DX8P?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

inverter
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B088PFCHMQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Ford F-150 installed a real 2k power inverter 20230514_190722

Ford F-150 installed a real 2k power inverter 20230514_190617

Ford F-150 installed a real 2k power inverter 20230514_190824
Sponsored

Sneezy

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Nice install, I’ve been procrastinating doing a similar setup myself, you motivated me to get it into gear!

dcfergus

First Name
Denton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 xlt
Occupation
CSFA
Love the factory look! Dumb question but you left the OEM 400w inverter underneath the rear passenger seat correct? so you basically just added a whole new "system" from the battery back? Definitely wanna tackle a project like this

Sponsored

OP
OP
aaexpert

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
Love the factory look! Dumb question but you left the OEM 400w inverter underneath the rear passenger seat correct? so you basically just added a whole new "system" from the battery back? Definitely wanna tackle a project like this
yes I purposely left the oem 400watt factory and simply added this one to be totally independent of each other. Also, having the power cables run from the battery to here, I will later add the aftermarket stereo amps close by and use a splitter which will make that job easier once I get to it.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
yes I purposely left the oem 400watt factory and simply added this one to be totally independent of each other. Also, having the power cables run from the battery to here, I will later add the aftermarket stereo amps close by and use a splitter which will make that job easier once I get to it.
Nice -- You can grab a PB plug for the rear of your console and route another wire to it so if you want to easily access in truck, you've got the rear console plug. That rear plug is my go-to for things in and around the truck like shop vac and what not. Consider a remote turn-on if it didn't come with one. I didn't see it mentioned. You could Y the switch for in-seat activation or in-bed activation.

OP
OP
aaexpert

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
The inverter does come with a remote panel to only turn it on/off from another location but I leave my seats up and just flip the switch manually when I unload my tool bags and work from the tailgate. However if I have my Dewalt bags travelling I can plug them into the inverter directly.

bcb97

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2020 Expedition
Building on this, is it possible to have a dual battery system on these trucks? Might have to have a dual alternator also, not sure.

OP
OP
aaexpert

aaexpert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 platinum
dual batteries/alternator is a whole 'nother topic and a much bigger discussion.
Sponsored