Inside your 2021 5.0 at 3500 miles...

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
10 grand!! Check Granger. My ESP was under 3k for 10/100000.
10 years and 100k is a ridiculous plan to get. You will hit 100k well before 10 years unless you only drive your kids to the soccer field and back.

My quote was for ExtraCare, 10 years, 175k miles with $100 deductible.

Regardless, i'm calling bullshit on your "under 3 grand" claim... my 2015 was more than that, and for 8 years and 125k miles which was the most they offered at the time.

So be specific about your plan and details, cause yeah, what you say is impossible.

There are online quotes you can get from dealers like Zeigler Ford who sell at cost, Granger isn't beating them.

Also, I live in Florida and by law can't buy from an out of state dealer, so that's a moot point. I can't buy from them...

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Mine was $1950 for premium care, 8 years/100k miles, first day rental, enhanced rental, key coverage, and interior/exterior lighting. Now, you are correct that being a Florida resident makes it a moot point (unless you have an out of state address to use), but to blatantly dismiss someone as BS is uncalled for. Oh and they did beat Ziegler and Flood

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
I guess to each their own, but what is the appeal of an 8 year 100k warranty? Do you really plan on keeping your truck that long and driving so little? In looking at Zeigler's pricing, it does really ramp up the price above 100k, but I have to imagine you are hitting 100k much quicker than 8 years.

I think honestly if I was only keeping my truck 100k miles, I wouldn't even bother with the ESP.

Also my previous post about the rental car issue is valid. At least on ExtraCare, maybe the premiumcare gives you more days of rental car, but you sure as shit aren't getting a month

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
10 years and 100k is a ridiculous plan to get. You will hit 100k well before 10 years unless you only drive your kids to the soccer field and back.

My quote was for ExtraCare, 10 years, 175k miles with $100 deductible.

Regardless, i'm calling bullshit on your "under 3 grand" claim... my 2015 was more than that, and for 8 years and 125k miles which was the most they offered at the time.

So be specific about your plan and details, cause yeah, what you say is impossible.

There are online quotes you can get from dealers like Zeigler Ford who sell at cost, Granger isn't beating them.

Also, I live in Florida and by law can't buy from an out of state dealer, so that's a moot point. I can't buy from them...
Biggest issue is even using the online websites that can sell in Florida you can only get the retail rates for ESP that are ridiculously high. So I can believe you were quoted $10k.

Actual cost for those of us not screwed over by the sunshine state laws would be maybe $3-4k.

Granger is $50 over dealer cost.
Ziegler is I think $200 over dealer cost I used them back in 2011.

Sponsored

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
I didn't buy it yet, but 10years 70k (thereabout) was only 1300 for me quoting Grainger at under 1000 miles.

I don't get the reg cab standard bed. Seems like a truck for people that want a mustang. I guess it's definitely more practical than my Stang, but it just leaves some to be desired if the goal is performance. I could definitely get onboard the longbed bandwagon with the reg cab. Having had the scab before, that's the winner unless you can swing a cclb. The Scab was just the right size for CO trails that I think might've been a little challenging for something larger. Nothing's impossible. I always poked fun at the tiny CCSBs, but here I am with one and actually lovin it. Someone get some McDs.

Regarding the 5.0 being a "swansong", I agree its solved tons of issues and the cylinder deactivation seems to have proven to be legit. The new wet oil pump belt scares me on the 2.7 and 5.0 after hearing so much bad about similar applications in the 1.0 ecoboost and 3.0 Duramax. Time will tell. Surprising the 5.0 has never had cam phaser issues.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
The new wet oil pump belt scares me on the 2.7 and 5.0 after hearing so much bad about similar applications in the 1.0 ecoboost and 3.0 Duramax. Time will tell. Surprising the 5.0 has never had cam phaser issues.
It comes up all over the Internet that poor abused motor with the wet oil pump belt. It was clearly abused with low oil for an excessive amount of time.
There are other postings claiming the 5.0 belt was designed for 1000+ HP at 150k miles so it should last much longer in standard truck.

I can't find any results on forums, where we know everyone goes to complain, about 2.7 oil belt failures and they have been wet belts since 2018 I think when they did the refresh. Yet I find posts of people buying trucks after 2018 that have 200k or more on them and still going strong.

A belt driving an oil pump is under much less stress than the timing chain and wet belts have been around in some form for decades.

I bought extended warranty out to 100k and if my internal belt pops after that I guess I'll deal with it. Seeing high miles on motors with these belts I have no concerns about failure.

I don't think the 5.0 or 2.7 owners have anything to worry about with the belt. Run it to 150k then you can look at the cost to replace and make a decision.

WhiteLightningnshitshadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F150 4.6 SCAB 6.5 and 2022 2.7 SCREW 5.5
Occupation
Lead Engineer
It comes up all over the Internet that poor abused motor with the wet oil pump belt. It was clearly abused with low oil for an excessive amount of time.
There are other postings claiming the 5.0 belt was designed for 1000+ HP at 150k miles so it should last much longer in standard truck.

I can't find any results on forums, where we know everyone goes to complain, about 2.7 oil belt failures and they have been wet belts since 2018 I think when they did the refresh. Yet I find posts of people buying trucks after 2018 that have 200k or more on them and still going strong.

A belt driving an oil pump is under much less stress than the timing chain and wet belts have been around in some form for decades.

I bought extended warranty out to 100k and if my internal belt pops after that I guess I'll deal with it. Seeing high miles on motors with these belts I have no concerns about failure.

I don't think the 5.0 or 2.7 owners have anything to worry about with the belt. Run it to 150k then you can look at the cost to replace and make a decision.
I don't doubt it'll last for a time, but what happens after that time? A synthetic material with kevlar going through bends, stresses, heat cycles, solvents/oils/detergents, and time can't possibly truly be a "lifetime" item. Mazda said their transfercases had lifetime fluid initially only to go back and say change at 50k a year later. How much is it going to cost to swap this out? If it's under 7-800$ I can chill a bit. Sounds pretty involved to me though.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
I don't doubt it'll last for a time, but what happens after that time? A synthetic material with kevlar going through bends, stresses, heat cycles, solvents/oils/detergents, and time can't possibly truly be a "lifetime" item. Mazda said their transfercases had lifetime fluid initially only to go back and say change at 50k a year later. How much is it going to cost to swap this out? If it's under 7-800$ I can chill a bit. Sounds pretty involved to me though.
Like I said I'm waiting for the YouTube videos to educate me on the belt swap. Won't see that until we start seeing multiple posts on forums. Maybe a forum member will dive into it. Average Joe doesn't change a serpentine belt until it breaks so I find it unlikely anyone will go out of the way to change an internal belt.

Do you do oil analysis?
Might be good time to start. If there is rubber wearing it will start showing in the oil.

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Geez Troy, lighten up. I just retired so my truck doesn’t get used that much. I bought my 10 year, 100k ESP, $100 deductible, with the lighting and key replacement options. I did not get the enhanced rental option since I have a “spare” car available. I purchased the plan from Granger in Feb of 2023. Total price was $2370. Maybe that seems ridiculous to you, and if I had to pay 10 grand it would to me too. $2300 could easily be one trip to the dealer. If I don’t use it in ten years I will be ecstatic.

Last edited:

Sponsored

troy12n

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 SCRW 5.0
Biggest issue is even using the online websites that can sell in Florida you can only get the retail rates for ESP that are ridiculously high. So I can believe you were quoted $10k.

Actual cost for those of us not screwed over by the sunshine state laws would be maybe $3-4k.
Yeah, our legislature and governor are literally gagging in cum forced down their gullets daily by the insurance industry... homeowners insurance, car insurance, just about any insurance product we get absolutely bent over and rawdawged without lube... constantly

Politicians in our state are more interested in staying in office than doing anything valuable for the people they are supposed to serve.

fordtruckman2003

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 Lariat
Yeah, our legislature and governor are literally gagging in cum forced down their gullets daily by the insurance industry... homeowners insurance, car insurance, just about any insurance product we get absolutely bent over and rawdawged without lube... constantly

Politicians in our state are more interested in staying in office than doing anything valuable for the people they are supposed to serve.
It encourages the snowbird lifestyle. Keep another address to get cheaper rates. 🤷‍♂️

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...

And despite this self-awareness, you called out another forum member’s experience as BS when it is in actuality your inability to secure a similar deal because of politicians. Your ire is warranted but misdirected. As @air2mag stated “lighten up.” The expected response would be something along the lines of “I’m glad that you were able to get such a great deal, but since I live in Florida…”

As for myself and your earlier questions, yes, I do keep my vehicles for 8+ years. Will I hit 100k miles? Maybe, maybe not. But it is insurance and with how computerized these vehicles are and the cost of a headlight assembly alone approaching $2,000, I felt the cost was worth it.

OP
OP
UNIKRN150

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
So... I know this post is over a year old, and I have not finished reading it yet, but you really sound like someone trying to sell the ESP plan, not a truck owner.

I've had now, 5 F150's, starting with my 1987, '97, 2005, '15 and 2023.

I had ExtraCare Plans on my '97, '05 and '15 trucks. The ESP "ExtraCare" plan or equivalent (think the one for the '97 was called something else).

On my '97, it paid for itself I had chronic A/C issues and an engine that decided it wanted to spit spark plus because of a poorly designed head.

On my '05, it paid for itself, I had a couple A/C issues and driveshaft and rear end needed to be rebuilt twice and had two alternators fail.

On my 2015, it paid for itself, barely, but there were also some things that I felt SHOULD have been covered and weren't. Just like the 2005, I had the rear end rebuilt once and had the entire front steering rack replaced because the steering was "sticking" while making hard left full turns.

One of the things i've seen you post is how you had a rental car for months...

I can assure you that ESP is not paying for that. You are on your original warranty, and that's what is paying for it. If you had an ESP plan, you would have either 10 or 15 days of rental car, per claim. That's it... so if your truck is in the shop for months, you are NOT going to get a rental for that whole time... I ran into this exact thing when my 2015 had to have the steering rack replaced. The part was on national backorder and down for 6 weeks. I got 10 days of rental car. That's it.

Just trying to correct some misinformation.

Also, the ExtraCare ESP plans have skyrocketed in cost from about $1200 for my '97, $1400 for my '05 and almost $4000 for my 2015.

I had my dealer quote me almost 10 grand for one for my 2023 when I bought it... no thanks.
I agree 100%

And no, I'm NOT "trying to sell ESP".
Why would I?

It's NOT for everyone. And you're right... I may NEVER see a dime from my ESP but given the issues I've already had, it's worth the 25 bucks a month to know that if this shit continues, it's covered.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Surprised nobody has noticed the crown on those pistons. These newer 5.0s are running some pretty intense looking pistons. If I didn’t know better I’d think I’m looking at a race car engine with those valve reliefs and that crown lol.
Sponsored