Sponsored

Input on Trim Decision, please? (Lariat v Platinum)

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
Hello everyone. Test drove the F-150 Powerboost the other day and have been busy building them online ever since. I'm not a fan of chrome and really like the Sport Package on the Lariat trim. I'm planning to go Carbonized Grey exterior, but I've also been thinking I like the look of the Platinum interior and especially the grille shape and higher level leather in the Platinum. But I really, really dislike the rims on the Platinum. I really dislike not getting a wireless charger in the Lariat.

Options - 1) Build the Lariat (sport) and deal with the wireless charger delete, etc. 2) Build the Platinum and vinyl wrap the chrome black or matte and buy new dark gray/black rims. I also like the Carmelo (tan/orange/light brown) interior color on the Platinum but not so sure that would look good with the Carbonized Grey exterior. I could see being ok with having the black exterior (and leaving the chrome) in the Platinum but ideally I like that Carbonized Grey. Those rims though are so ugly.

Any input appreciated!
Lariat Sport 502A fully loaded and you have a Platinum (minus massaging seats, max recline, crappy wireless charger, and all the damn chrome). This is the way I went. I was stuck on a Platinum for so long, but hated all the chrome. I like the Platinum interior, but I dislike chrome more. I would have wanted to get rid of all the chrome day one which would have cost me even more money. And those FUGLY rims. I couldn't do it. So I went with my Carbonized Gray Lariat Sport 502A fully loaded and I'm damn happy about. Any funds that would have went on de-chroming went to other mods or is still in my bank account. The only thing on the 3 higher trims that I would really like to have is the massaging seats, but that wasn't enough alone to jump to the Platinum.
Sponsored

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
I test drove a Platinum with the wireless charger and wasn't super impressed. I do have a slim protective cover on my iPhone 12 Pro, but it's never given me any trouble on any other wireless charger. On the Platinum, during my extended drive, it would stay charging for 3-4 minutes and then tell me it was having trouble with the positioning. Maybe it was a technique placement thing or it would have done better with no cover on the phone. At any rate, I ended up with a Lariat (for other reasons) and picked up a $50 wireless charger designed to fit the F-150 console off of Amazon. I like it a lot better as my phone is tucked away in a good location for me and its had no issues with my protective case. Lots of good choices in the different trims for sure, but I wouldn't let the wireless charger be a deciding factor - if it were me.
As a side note before I talk trucks, the iPhone 12 has issues (according to my conversation with Verizon and Gear4) with wireless charging through a case and sometimes without. If yours works well everywhere else, your ahead of the game.

Back to trucks,: I'm biased, I suppose, because I bought the Platinum. The two best looking trucks in the lineup are the KR and the Platty, in my opinion. What put me off on the KR was all the insignia's for King Ranch all over the interior. Yes, the Platinum says Platinum in a few places, but it doesn't come close to what they did inside the KR. The Lariat Sport is cool, but overall the Lariat level truck just didn't do it for me (inside and out).

The wheels on the Platinum are much better than previous generation Platinum's and look really good, again in my opinion as I have them, with a nice set of oversized tires. Overall I think the Platinum is worth the extra money for the nicer interior and more features. I get a lot of compliments on my truck. Could be that there are still very few on the road yet, at least in my area. But I think some of it is just how handsome the Platinum is. It really catches the eye.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Wrangler JLU; 20 Navigator L; 19 Volvo XC60 T8
To me the Platinum is quite nice on the inside everywhere except the overt PLATINUM lettering everywhere. The Lariat doesn't have any lettering anywhere inside and I much prefer that. I actually wasn't sure I'd like the reddish sport leather but I totally gave in when I saw it in person.

Also, the wireless charger sucks. When I test drove the Platinum it must have stopped charging my iPhone 12 Pro Max 4-5 times in the 40 mins I was driving. Hell the actual USB ports kind of suck too. I find that for short trips I plug in a fast charger to the 20A outlet anyway just to get enough juice. My phone is a thirsty one.

It's almost a question of what style do you like more because from my calculations all trim levels seem to asymptote around the same price when you spec them similarly. I personally don't think the seats are that much more comfortable in the Platinum, and I don't understand the upper back pad things, but everyone's different.

It's really all subjective and they don't make it easy. I'd say just make sure you get ALL the options you really want because they're really difficult to add on after the fact (Damn you, tailgate step!)
I was surprised by how much I didn't mind the pieces of reddish sport leather in the Lariat Sport as well.

Thank you for all of the input!

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat Sport 502A fully loaded and you have a Platinum (minus massaging seats, max recline, crappy wireless charger, and all the damn chrome). This is the way I went. I was stuck on a Platinum for so long, but hated all the chrome. I like the Platinum interior, but I dislike chrome more. I would have wanted to get rid of all the chrome day one which would have cost me even more money. And those FUGLY rims. I couldn't do it. So I went with my Carbonized Gray Lariat Sport 502A fully loaded and I'm damn happy about. Any funds that would have went on de-chroming went to other mods or is still in my bank account. The only thing on the 3 higher trims that I would really like to have is the massaging seats, but that wasn't enough alone to jump to the Platinum.
Thank you ... I think I'm feeling much the same way. I'm struggling to decide whether the nicer leather, nicer shaped grille, wireless charger and massaging seats are worth. I honestly think if the rims were more appealing to me on the Platinum trim I wouldn't hesitate, but I guess that's fixed with new rims (although so a cheap solution).

I think in a perfect world I'd have the Platinum in a sport look in carbonized gray. Just not sure I wanna vinyl wrap all the goods and spend $2k on rims to make that happen.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wanna thank everyone for your input ... it really helps! I think I'm leaning Platinum in Carbonized Gray. Would love to go with the Carmelo interior but just not sure it jives with the exterior. Then I start to think I'm leaning black or white exterior in a Platinum to match the interior moreso. Might come down to whether I can find one one the lot, assuming I don't order.

Sponsored

oddlou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Star White Platinum 4x4 Powerboost
I was in the same boat as you, @Husker4theSpurs. My dealer had the white platinum that I ended up with and a carbonized gray 502A Lariat, which I also really liked. I'm honestly ambivalent about the chrome vs. no chrome on this truck--it's not like the Rams out there that have an overwhelming amount of chrome. The only thing I preferred on the Lariat, though, were the wheels, as what I like the least of the stock Platinum was the wheel and tire combination. I thought I would just change out the wheels, but once I changed out the tires to an actual truck tire the stock wheels look pretty good. I still may change them at some point, but I'm good with them for now.

I ended up choosing the Platinum for a few reasons, one of which was the wireless charger with, honestly, is . . . meh. It's fine, but I wouldn't regret not having it--it's easy enough to put something like that in aftermarket. The massaging chairs are also an option that I could live without, but I'm glad I got because it's not something that I could upgrade to later. Finally, and most importantly, the interior of the Platinum (I have the black, but the carmelo looks pretty good, too) just looks way way better (to me and my wife, at least ;)). The badging is relatively minimal and improves the aesthetics, IMO. The leather just looks and feels better. Of course, different strokes for different folks, but the Lariat interior, especially with the red wasn't for me--and that is not something I could reasonably upgrade after the fact.

The carbonized gray, by the way, looks fantastic in either trim. Good choice.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I was in the same boat as you, @Husker4theSpurs. My dealer had the white platinum that I ended up with and a carbonized gray 502A Lariat, which I also really liked. I'm honestly ambivalent about the chrome vs. no chrome on this truck--it's not like the Rams out there that have an overwhelming amount of chrome. The only thing I preferred on the Lariat, though, were the wheels, as what I like the least of the stock Platinum was the wheel and tire combination. I thought I would just change out the wheels, but once I changed out the tires to an actual truck tire the stock wheels look pretty good. I still may change them at some point, but I'm good with them for now.

I ended up choosing the Platinum for a few reasons, one of which was the wireless charger with, honestly, is . . . meh. It's fine, but I wouldn't regret not having it--it's easy enough to put something like that in aftermarket. The massaging chairs are also an option that I could live without, but I'm glad I got because it's not something that I could upgrade to later. Finally, and most importantly, the interior of the Platinum (I have the black, but the carmelo looks pretty good, too) just looks way way better (to me and my wife, at least ;)). The badging is relatively minimal and improves the aesthetics, IMO. The leather just looks and feels better. Of course, different strokes for different folks, but the Lariat interior, especially with the red wasn't for me--and that is not something I could reasonably upgrade after the fact.

The carbonized gray, by the way, looks fantastic in either trim. Good choice.
Thank you much! I think I will find out I'm in the same boat as you. I probably will stick with the black interior on the Platinum because of the clash with the carmelo, but then I see there are even the little tan trim pieces and I sometimes think, aw heck there's already some tan in there just pick the color you want regardless of whether it matches the exterior or not. I suppose the same could be said for the Lariat Sport interior as that reddish brown doesn't match anything in regards to the Carbonized Grey. I suppose the adaptive steering and massaging seats count for something as well. I'm like you, I tend to think the air bladder massaging seats aren't really that great (especially compared to something like a Volvo's massaging seats) but I'm not against having them :)

As far as the wireless charger ... I think I'm over that anyhow, plus the sound tends to be better plugged into a USB anyhow.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Hello everyone. Test drove the F-150 Powerboost the other day and have been busy building them online ever since. I'm not a fan of chrome and really like the Sport Package on the Lariat trim. I'm planning to go Carbonized Grey exterior, but I've also been thinking I like the look of the Platinum interior and especially the grille shape and higher level leather in the Platinum. But I really, really dislike the rims on the Platinum. I really dislike not getting a wireless charger in the Lariat.

Options - 1) Build the Lariat (sport) and deal with the wireless charger delete, etc. 2) Build the Platinum and vinyl wrap the chrome black or matte and buy new dark gray/black rims. I also like the Carmelo (tan/orange/light brown) interior color on the Platinum but not so sure that would look good with the Carbonized Grey exterior. I could see being ok with having the black exterior (and leaving the chrome) in the Platinum but ideally I like that Carbonized Grey. Those rims though are so ugly.

Any input appreciated!
@Husker4theSpurs -

It’s a great questionfor this Forum because so many of us wrestled with these highly subjective questions in making our own build decisions. The good news is that there is no wrong answer!

In my case, I went into the decision expecting to buy a Limited. I looked at the Limited, Platinum, and the Lariat, made spreadsheets, took photos, and drove 2.

For me, the chrome LIMITED on the hood was a huge turn-off. I was surprisingly disappointed by the color and styling of the quilted blue leather. Not only that, but the FX4 pkg (skid plates) was unavailable. I do love the look of those 22” wheels but realize they will result in a stiffer ride (less sidewall).

I definitely like the exterior look of the Lariat Sport Pkg - especially the black wheels. But the interior black seemed to me ... boring, like you’d find in a low priced sedan. Then I learned that some features (seats!) were unavailable with the Lariat. If I’m paying a premium price, and all of these trucks are, then I want to feel like I’m getting a premium experience.

Which brings me to the Platinum. I agree with you that the wheels are unattractive, the worst of the 3 by far. But the Platinum offers every feature Ford makes and it’s interior is, to me, by far the best. ‘Not sure if you’ve seen the ‘Special Black’ interior but it tones down the interior brushed aluminum and it feels rich. Just perfect with the colored piping to break things up and keep it interesting. By far my favorite interior by Ford!

IMHO, get the Platty and replace those hideous wheels. Just my opinion. ?

Best of luck to you!

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I wanna thank everyone for your input ... it really helps! I think I'm leaning Platinum in Carbonized Gray. Would love to go with the Carmelo interior but just not sure it jives with the exterior. Then I start to think I'm leaning black or white exterior in a Platinum to match the interior moreso. Might come down to whether I can find one one the lot, assuming I don't order.
Makes sense.

Do yourself a favor and check out a Platinum with the ‘Special Black’ interior. It will go with any exterior color, including the Carbonized Grey that you liked

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Makes sense.

Do yourself a favor and check out a Platinum with the ‘Special Black’ interior. It will go with any exterior color, including the Carbonized Grey that you liked
Thanks, yeah I like the 'special black' just fine, but almost wish there was zero tan trim at all. I will probably stick with the black interior in the Platinum. THANKS!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Husker4theSpurs -

It’s a great questionfor this Forum because so many of us wrestled with these highly subjective questions in making our own build decisions. The good news is that there is no wrong answer!

In my case, I went into the decision expecting to buy a Limited. I looked at the Limited, Platinum, and the Lariat, made spreadsheets, took photos, and drove 2.

For me, the chrome LIMITED on the hood was a huge turn-off. I was surprisingly disappointed by the color and styling of the quilted blue leather. Not only that, but the FX4 pkg (skid plates) was unavailable. I do love the look of those 22” wheels but realize they will result in a stiffer ride (less sidewall).

I definitely like the exterior look of the Lariat Sport Pkg - especially the black wheels. But the interior black seemed to me ... boring, like you’d find in a low priced sedan. Then I learned that some features (seats!) were unavailable with the Lariat. If I’m paying a premium price, and all of these trucks are, then I want to feel like I’m getting a premium experience.

Which brings me to the Platinum. I agree with you that the wheels are unattractive, the worst of the 3 by far. But the Platinum offers every feature Ford makes and it’s interior is, to me, by far the best. ‘Not sure if you’ve seen the ‘Special Black’ interior but it tones down the interior brushed aluminum and it feels rich. Just perfect with the colored piping to break things up and keep it interesting. By far my favorite interior by Ford!

IMHO, get the Platty and replace those hideous wheels. Just my opinion. ?

Best of luck to you!
Agree on the Limited being too over the top. I generally like loaded up cars and trim levels, but sometimes they're a bit too "in your face." The Platinum badges are about all I can handle :)

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
Another thing to consider is resale.. or insurance reimbursement if stolen or whatever. Goto KBB.com and look at used Lariats vs Platinums. As you price them the Platinum is always worth a lot more.. Yes you can add Lariat "options" to come close but in the real world dealers won't credit your for them if you trade or sell.

Looking at what I wanted I found the Lariat to be a 2 K cheaper than the Platinum MSRP. And I didn't get adaptive steering, charging, massage or recline. I like the adaptive steering and charging a lot. And 5 years from now the Platinum is worth 3 K more than the Lariat. Which recoups more than my purchase while giving me more features while I drive.

Your mileage may vary of course.

F150Trucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
I’ve got a carbonized grey Platinum on the way and I’m swapping to Lariat Sport wheels. Not a big fan of all the chrome on the platinum, but the interior and grill are fantastic.

Itsjustmd

First Name
Jayce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
I was wrestling with something similar but went with an order of the Platinum. I'm gonna replace the wheels and cover up the chrome. I want those extra features.

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Another thing to consider is resale.. or insurance reimbursement if stolen or whatever. Goto KBB.com and look at used Lariats vs Platinums. As you price them the Platinum is always worth a lot more.. Yes you can add Lariat "options" to come close but in the real world dealers won't credit your for them if you trade or sell.

Looking at what I wanted I found the Lariat to be a 2 K cheaper than the Platinum MSRP. And I didn't get adaptive steering, charging, massage or recline. I like the adaptive steering and charging a lot. And 5 years from now the Platinum is worth 3 K more than the Lariat. Which recoups more than my purchase while giving me more features while I drive.

Your mileage may vary of course.
According to my math the Platinum is $2-3k more, and what you get is more leather, better seats, and the wireless charger. The $2-3k isn’t that huge, but it’s roughly equal to the resale premium you mentioned.
Sponsored