Increasing Usable Powerboost Battery storage capacity

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Just out of curiosity, could this OBD reader also be used to make changes via Forscan?
Absolutely.
It's perhaps one of the most recommended wireless OBD adapters for Forscan.
However, I now use the Mongoose for everything except PID monitoring just so I can get my $500's worth out of it. 🤣
Sponsored

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If they offered me a 5kW or 10kW battery option, I would WRITE THE CHECK and buy another new truck.

I spend a good deal of time driving in the mountains.
LOTS of Ups and DOWNS.
I could be recovering MUCH MORE ENERGY on those LONG DOWNHILL descents than the tiny 1.5kW battery currently allows me.

But then again, I would be completely in favor of a Plug-In Hybrid option if I had a BIGGER BATTERY as well.
Agreed. The 1.5KW battery is amazingly small. Ford really could have put a larger battery in the PB. For example EcoFlo has the Delta Pro with a 3.6KW battery and that's only the size of a small cooler. I figure they traded battery capacity for it to be water cooled and didn't want to alter the cab floor design to make room for it a larger cell.

Ford F-150 Increasing Usable Powerboost Battery storage capacity portable-power-station-29805706117193_1024x1024@2x

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Also the packaging on PB battery is fairly efficient considering that there's far more than just the battery stuffed into that enclosure.

Makes me wonder if the le$$ than shocking retail price for the battery is just the battery? Or is it the enclosure and everything in it?

Ford F-150 Increasing Usable Powerboost Battery storage capacity Screenshot_20220818-123615_Edge

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Last edited:
OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin

Sponsored

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
Agreed. The 1.5KW battery is amazingly small. Ford really could have put a larger battery in the PB. For example EcoFlo has the Delta Pro with a 3.6KW battery and that's only the size of a small cooler. I figure they traded battery capacity for it to be water cooled and didn't want to alter the cab floor design to make room for it a larger cell.
I would be perfectly willing to give up an inch or two of payload capacity for a drop in Aux Battery that fit right into the truck bed.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
I would be perfectly willing to give up an inch or two of payload capacity for a drop in Aux Battery that fit right into the truck bed.
Given the density of some of these battery inverter generators, you could probably double the capacity of the onboard battery with a drop in battery pack accessory. I'm thinking something similar in size of the swing out storage boxes that you could connect to the panel in the bed or something provided the harness was setup for it so it would link to the onboard battery when connected. Wouldn't lose a lot of bed space and could be easily built as a portable inverter as well.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
I'm thinking something similar in size of the swing out storage boxes that you could connect to the panel in the bed or something provided the harness was setup for it so it would link to the onboard battery when connected.
That would do the trick nicely

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
That would do the trick nicely
It would, but I'm sure Ford won't ever do it. Too much potential liability with having direct access to a 280v 150a connection like that.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
It would, but I'm sure Ford won't ever do it. Too much potential liability with having direct access to a 280v 150a connection like that.
Agreed
But I could see an AFTER MARKET company coming along in the future and offering that sort of thing once the first PB trucks roll OUT of warranty coverage.

Sponsored

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
I honestly think ford neutered the hybrid by putting a fairly weak electric motor and tiny battery so they wouldn’t cannibalize sales from the lightning. Then again bigger electric motor and bigger battery means less payload, and some of these f150’s have less payload than a minivan. Of course that could be fixed with offering the HDPP on higher trim levels, but that’s a different rant.

OP
OP
ldsavow

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Internet Admin
I honestly think ford neutered the hybrid by putting a fairly weak electric motor and tiny battery so they wouldn’t cannibalize sales from the lightning. Then again bigger electric motor and bigger battery means less payload, and some of these f150’s have less payload than a minivan. Of course that could be fixed with offering the HDPP on higher trim levels, but that’s a different rant.
there is no doubt that there were some serious discussions at some point with the bean counters over just where they wanted the PB to land and how long they planned on keeping it around.

Given the Lightning's TERRIBLE TOWNING performance, a stronger PB would "seem" to have been a good idea...

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting discussion.
I think the competition is what is going to have the biggest impact on the development of the Powerboost.

If Toyota would eat a little crow and admit that the reason it doesn't have ProPower is because they didn't THINK of it in time for production, they could go ahead and press even harder at building the "better Ecoboost and Powerboost".

They obviously weren't shy about redesigning the Tundra with the F150 ECOBOOST as the direct target!

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
My case must be different, but what else is new.
I see my engine shut off on the Interstate REGULARLY and run in FULL ELECTRIC mode on a regular basis. But this only lasts for a couple minutes MAX and then the engine comes right back on.

As for me, a bigger batter or at least a larger use window of the existing battery would be MOST welcome.
A bigger battery isn't going to keep you in electric longer on a highway unless there's traffic. Given you say it stays in electric only for minutes on an interstate, you must be going downhill as that's the only time I've ever had my truck in full electric for any appreciable time over 45. As soon as there's any demand for power, the engine comes back on regardless of battery charge level. The system won't go into electric only in 10th gear unless you are braking or cruise is trying to slow you down.
Sponsored