Sponsored

Inconsistent Air Conditioning Performance

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
Happend twice to me this week on 3 hour trip. Both times it happened after two hours of driving.

Dropped it off at the dealer yesterday. I was told it could be two things; the evaporator (TSB), or the HVAC module. Hoping it's just the module.

Uud74

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Driver
Let us know what happens. My dealer won’t do squat. They tell me it’s how is works.

Uud74

First Name
Westin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150
Occupation
Driver
Does this only happen if you're on auto? Has anyone tried to turn it to manual mode?
Let us know what happens. My dealer won’t do squat. They tell me it’s how is works.
There is no logic to how mine works. I have to adjust the temp maybe form 63-74 throughout the coarse of a trip. After about 4hrs the other day it just started blow full cold. Had to adjust up to 75 to get it toned down. Most of the time I shut it off and or go to manual. When you get out of the truck and get back in it, it down go to full cold and ramp up the fan like every other auto ford I’ve owned. It really gets interesting when it’s zero out. It’s total junk and my dealer won’t acknowledge any thing I describe. Oh…… I did have a loner and it worked freaking perfect.

Jay Gee

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Powerboost
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!
having the same problem. Dealer could not make it happen and sent me home, no work done. 2021 Powerboost Platinum. Are dealers aware of evaporator problems? They said service bulletin did not apply to hybrids.

Sponsored

esilver22

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Business Owner
They kept your truck for 26 days while waiting on parts? Why didn't they just have you come back when the parts came in? That seems ridiculous to me.
I live in Texas where it is quite hot. I really didn’t want to drive around with inconsistent AC.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
How do you even change between auto and manual? I didn’t even know there was an auto mode
Press the auto button and it has three speeds. And for that I don't get it. By definition, that's a contradiction. I have tried a few times and have never figured out what Ford's intention is with that auto button.

Ford F-150 Inconsistent Air Conditioning Performance 1656953361889

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I've never touched "auto" on any of my 3 F150's in the past 6 years. :)

My natural inclination is to set a temperature that I like and then increase/decrease the fan speed based on interior comfort. And since I live in the tropics with high humidity, I almost always recirculate.

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
Driving from Asheville to Waynesville, the Air Conditioner quit working. All air quit coming through any and all vents. The AC was set to auto, high fan speed, and AC was on with a light indicating “on”. I manually set the fan to the highest speed and no air came out of any vent. I tried various vent setting – feet, head – and still no air came out of any vent. I stopped the truck and opened the hood. I found all of the AC lines covered with heavy ice.

This truck was out for a month with the Exhaust Heat Exchanger leak. The transmission hammers the vehicle shifting up and down -- sometimes it stays in 8th gear when stopped or when going around a very slow curve, like a roundabout. Periodically it will shift the headlights to "on" and leave them on so I get a warning when I open the driver door. Sometimes driving down a slow two lane road I get a very loud, warbling warning sound with no other information.

I don't think the Powerboost Lariat was quite ready for Prime Time.
Ford F-150 Inconsistent Air Conditioning Performance 20220705_165150

Sponsored

Thunderchief

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lariat Powerboost, 2021 Ford Edge
Occupation
Retired AF Fighter Pilot
I took the truck to the Dealer with the Air Conditioner Freeze Up problem and he tells me it is a known problem and there is a Technical Service Bulletin describing the repair. However, they cannot work me in for repairs until sometime in August -- a month in the future! The truck is drivable but not very far since the system ices up after 30-minutes and all air to the cabin stops. This just does not make sense that a major American industry, Ford Motor Company, cranks out vehicles costing close to $100, 000 that routinely fail and their Dealers cannot work them in for repairs for a MONTH. What is the world is happening to our nation?

22Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5
Occupation
Project Manager
Hi guys. I wanted to post an update on our 22 Lariat 3.5 (non pb).

After my first post here, I took it straight to the dealer. They kept it for a day and of course, couldn't recreate the problem. So they gave it back and offered me to basically keep bringing it back to let it sit running until it freezes up again. Don't have time for that. Told them I would just keep driving it and will bring it back in when it happens again.

We took our chances with it and drove it 580+- miles to the beach last week, then another 580ish miles back home. The AC never did freeze up on us again like it did a few weeks back. But it did act weird like sometimes blowing cooler/or slightly warmer with nothing changed in the manual settings. We did try to prevent the freezing-up problem by keeping both sides set to 74ish (but never below 70) and recirculate on, fan speed 2-4 depending, and windows/sunroof closed 99% of the time driving. With temps in the 90s the whole trip I am so thankful it never froze up on us again, but was nervous about it the whole time.

Will be keeping an eye on it and the second it freezes up again, I will drive it straight to the service department, as luckily my dealer is directly across the street from my employer.

Also not sure if it matters or not but my truck is a Kansas City plant truck.

Other issues I've had with this truck include a raised rivet in the sun roof track preventing the sun roof from sliding back more than about 4 inches... And the auto cruise control did mistakenly swerve me into another lane at one time which was pretty nerve racking. Disabled the lane centering feature and drove without it from there on.

I do love this truck but these issues have been irritating to say the least.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I was basically told the same thing, drive it till it does it more often. They also told me that next time it does it, get a picture of the frozen A/C line under the hood.

tigertas32

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 PB 502A AMB, 2022 Lightning 511A SW
Took my F150 PB in today regarding the air conditioning issues. Told them about TSB 22-2089. They told me it was expired. Does anyone know of a new TSB?
Sponsored