Inconsistent Air Conditioning Performance

Cleb1021

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 King Ranch
I think the vent “door” inside is getting stuck closed. I’ve experienced this a few times, currently at 5K miles on ‘22 PB. Just had it happen on my way home. When I crank it up to highest fan speed and max aC I can hear it behind the dash but it’s not coming out of the vents
Mine did the same thing on Sunday after I hardwired my radar detector. I thought I knocked something loose.

My workaround is pull over, shut the vehicle off for about a minute then restart and working as it should. I explained to my service advisor and they want me leave the vehicle over night. Problem is it won't happen after an hour of long drive with ac running.
Mine did it randomly on a start up and I had to let the truck sit for an hour or so before it started working properly again.
Sponsored

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Mine did the same thing on Sunday after I hardwired my radar detector. I thought I knocked something loose.

Mine did it randomly on a start up and I had to let the truck sit for an hour or so before it started working properly again.

Looks like my AC issue fixed after trailer module update. Couple of radio buttons (both steering wheel and panel) quit working after an hour of driving but touch screen still works. You can't win, lol

K5SCM

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost Lariat
I just completed my first 1000 miles on my Lariat power boost mostly local, and the only real concern I have is several situations where the air conditioning had little flow from the open vents and did not cool off the cabin. Other times the cool air flow has high with what I believe to be the same settings. Does anyone have this same experience ? Any thoughts on why or what I may be doing wrong ?
Exact same issue here on new 2022 F-150 Powerboost Lariat with less than 1000 miles. A/C start off strong and then fades fast. Very hot cabin. Did Ford identify a fix? Happy with truck other than poor and inconsistent A/C performance.

K5SCM

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost Lariat
Hi there! Can you send us a private message with your VIN and Ford dealership name? I’ll look into this on my end. Thank you!
De
Exact same issue here on new 2022 F-150 Powerboost Lariat with less than 1000 miles. A/C start off strong and then fades fast. Very hot cabin. Did Ford identify a fix? Happy with truck other than poor and inconsistent A/C performance.
Hoping it is just the evaporator sensor and should be covered under warranty. This seems to be a systemic issue with certain model Ford Trucks. Hoping Ford Reps will jump into this thread and discuss the issue and solutions.

Sponsored

esilver22

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Business Owner
Took my truck in to dealer Saturday. Got a call today. There is a bad temperature sensor in the evaporator?? They told me the part is backordered and looks like it may be in by end of June. 😔

Not off to a great start.
UPDATE:
Got my truck back last week. It was at the dealer last Thursday. They had it for 26 days which is less than what it was supposed to be, but still. Come on, Ford! I have asked for payment reimbursement for that month (full or partial). I paid for higher insurance on a new truck, wasn’t able to tow cause the loaner was a Bronco Sport, lost a month of BlueCruise subscription (I understand there will be a charge associated after 3 years?), lost a month on the Sirius trial and dealt with the frustration of buying a $75k truck that had a problem when I drove it off the lot. Everything was covered under warranty which it should have been without question. I understand the BC and Sirius things aren’t that big of a deal, but the rest is.
I really hope this is the last of the problems, but I am concerned. I also understand Ford may be suffering from supply chain issues, but to leave the customer hanging right out of the gate is not a great look.

Last edited:

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
I’ve had it happen for the first time just recently. ^^. And this above makes me not even want to take it in until its a repetitive problem. That and I’m not a real big fan of having my dash pulled out.

SupraVu

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A truck, SUV. another SUV, and a sedan
I am having this issue now after taking after having the truck for about a month

22Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat 3.5
Occupation
Project Manager
Hello, new member here. Haven't even put 300 miles on my new 22 Lariat 3.5 502A and this issue happened to us today, while it was sunny and 90s outside. I'm absolutely furious. We were 30min from home and our 2 year old was in the truck with us. Now after reading the TSB and knowing my dash will probably have to come out for the repair, I almost wish I could just return the truck and exchange it for another. Is this issue 502a and up only? Do 302a trucks have this issue as well?

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer service dept just yet as we were planning to drive this truck on a 800 mile beach trip this coming Friday. I don't know what do. If it happens again while on the trip that could be miserable.

Can I turn off the AC to restore the air blowing out of the dash as others have said? And if so will that let the evaporator thaw enough to return to normal... until the cycle repeats?

Should I be planning on driving another vehicle for this family beach trip, or is this issue possibly preventable somehow? :mad: Thank you

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I gotta admit that the Powerboost Air Conditioning has spoiled me with how well it maintains a comfortable cabin environment in the brutally hot summer temps in my part of the country.

At 3pm, after sitting parked in the sun several hours, I entered the truck with 119F showing on the Sync screen. Truck was heat soaked!

In just a short couple of minutes, even without ICE :) contributing, the vents were spewing cold air over my arms and face.

I do keep the rear seat vents closed most of the time since there's nobody back there ordinarily. I also have the passenger door side vent closed at times out of habit, since I do that in my Miata and Porsche for top-down Air Conditioning reasons. But the Powerboost has never even struggled.

I definitely now have high expectations of the trucks AC. I don't think I would be willing to tolerate it suddenly performing less efficiently.

By the way, I always have it set at 68F, non-dual, and on speeds between 2-4, depending on how hot it is when I enter the truck. I also keep recirculation on.

Sponsored

Ryan.B

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT PowerBoost BAP
Hello, new member here. Haven't even put 300 miles on my new 22 Lariat 3.5 502A and this issue happened to us today, while it was sunny and 90s outside. I'm absolutely furious. We were 30min from home and our 2 year old was in the truck with us. Now after reading the TSB and knowing my dash will probably have to come out for the repair, I almost wish I could just return the truck and exchange it for another. Is this issue 502a and up only? Do 302a trucks have this issue as well?

I'm hesitant to take it to the dealer service dept just yet as we were planning to drive this truck on a 800 mile beach trip this coming Friday. I don't know what do. If it happens again while on the trip that could be miserable.

Can I turn off the AC to restore the air blowing out of the dash as others have said? And if so will that let the evaporator thaw enough to return to normal... until the cycle repeats?

Should I be planning on driving another vehicle for this family beach trip, or is this issue possibly preventable somehow? :mad: Thank you
I have been lurking around this forum before purchasing my truck 3 weeks ago. I decided to register to share my experience. Just came back from a 3,000 miles road trip and loss of A/C power happened to me 5 times. It’s random and could happen in start up or in the middle of your drive. I work for Ford and called my service advisor saying there’s a TSB which was posted in the previous post. I am going back to work tomorrow to get it fixed and get all the details (parts logistics, how long to fix, etc). Anyway, the way I was able to get around it is to turn off the car and rest for a bit (get something to eat, walk and stretch our legs) tried to start back mine in about 20-30 mins wait time - yours may vary - so far, I was able to enjoy our trip while experiencing the issue. I’m hoping this will work for others so you don’t have to worry if there’s any plans for travel especially when you have kids.
Best,
Ryan
2022 F150 XLT powerboost BAP

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
If it’s any consolation to anyone - my buddy’s 3 Series BMW had the same symptoms. Solution: dealer found a service bulletin for poor placement of the evap core temp sensor. Their fix was to reprogram the HVAC module to cut the compressor at a higher evap core temperature. The result is consistent but slightly worse A/C. At least Ford fixes it to work like it should I guess

dkevox

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Evo X, F150
UPDATE:
Got my truck back last week. It was at the dealer last Thursday. They had it for 26 days which is less than what it was supposed to be, but still. Come on, Ford! I have asked for payment reimbursement for that month (full or partial). I paid for higher insurance on a new truck, wasn’t able to tow cause the loaner was a Bronco Sport, lost a month of BlueCruise subscription (I understand there will be a charge associated after 3 years?), lost a month on the Sirius trial and dealt with the frustration of buying a $75k truck that had a problem when I drove it off the lot. Everything was covered under warranty which it should have been without question. I understand the BC and Sirius things aren’t that big of a deal, but the rest is.
I really hope this is the last of the problems, but I am concerned. I also understand Ford may be suffering from supply chain issues, but to leave the customer hanging right out of the gate is not a great look.
They kept your truck for 26 days while waiting on parts? Why didn't they just have you come back when the parts came in? That seems ridiculous to me.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
We just got back to FL from 1500 mile trip to VA. On at least 4 or 5 occasions on both the drive up and drive back I-95, while the AC was set on 70, recirculate, and speed 2, it would start blowing like it was set to 8 with recirculate off. We'd press the recirculate button to turn it off and then right back on again after waiting 3 sec. It would go back to how it was set and stopped the high speed nasty highway air. This was a different behavior that we'd experienced in "winter" when it would turn the recirculate light off without a change in air speed and we'd have to reengage it.

SuperRaptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Lariat 502A
Does this only happen if you're on auto? Has anyone tried to turn it to manual mode?
Sponsored