Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

jofo

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost 502A Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Engineer
I have a 21 Lariat PB 502A with a couple of other options like power tailgate, sunroof, bedrug, unleashed etc. I bought it off the lot so it came with more than I needed. I’ve had my share of growing pains being a job 1 2021 built in June 21, but all of that aside, I can’t imagine a truck getting much better. You are going to love the quiet as a tomb ride with gobs of power when needed, but a gas sipper when you don’t. I love being able to go to a job site (currently my daughter’s house renovation) and being totally self sufficient. I only have the 2.4 pro power but it suits my needs well. The only thing that scares me is the day that I have to retire ol Smokey. It’s ruined me for future trucks. It’s probably going to cost me 6 figures to get into another one at the rate we are going. Hoping this baby lasts a good long time!
Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
23000 miles in, still love my Powerboost. However my answer is probably no, I’d go a completely different direction. From Lariat PB to 5.0 STX. There’s a charm to a base truck with a V8 lol. The PB fits the lariat better though (drivetrain is smooth and unbothered by requests for power. Quiet, doesn’t rev for torque, etc)

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
I have had my 157" 302A Powerboost for about 2 months now. It has impressed my so far & I would definitely buy this same truck again.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
A few pages back, I indicated I wouldn't buy another Powerboost because it had stranded me a few times and finally a complete electric drive unit was replaced. Since then, I have come around some. I'm pleased with the warm weather mpg's. Cold weather sucks. But would hope they'd put more effort into developing a better hybrid truck but that won't happen currently....enough said....

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
Probably No. This is not a hybrid truck. Fuel mileage is terrible for a "hybrid". Generator is great and idling is great but driving - it is not hybrid.

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
But it is a Hybrid Pick-up truck. A real full sized truck capable of 1/2 ton truck duty.
I agree it's not a Prius.

JJohn

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lariat CC PB
Tough call for me. It has its moments. I love the quietness and often electric driving while off-roading, but can not get over the overall mpg's. I don't think I was exactly expecting 23 MPG (per window sticker) but hoping for 20. Currently at 16.8 for 3,500 miles and continuing to drop. Same set up as my previous 2011 Nissan Titan Pro 4X and maybe getting 1 mpg better. Current: Lariat, CC, 4x4

STM

First Name
SM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F 150 XLT
Occupation
Home Builder
Thanks for your reply, it really helps me out. Because, I have ordered a 2023 lariat sport 502a package with the PB, and your comments ease my mind about this new technology in the F150.
I don't think you have anything to worry about.. I have a 22 Lariat with pretty much every box checked that I got at the end of July.. It looks like by then most all the glitches were resolved.. Drives like a dream! I think you will be really blown away..

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Probably No. This is not a hybrid truck. Fuel mileage is terrible for a "hybrid". Generator is great and idling is great but driving - it is not hybrid.
It is a hybrid lol. It literally drives on electric, gas, or a combination of both. Meets the definition.

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Yes. The one part that gives me pause is the exhaust battery coolant loop heat exchanger. I worry that part will prove the Achilles' Heel of the whole system, and would prefer a primary loop to battery loop water to water exchanger in the future.

Otherwise, I think that a better combination for the F150 would've been the 2.3L I4 they are putting into the Ranger or, better still, the 3.0L PowerStroke. I realize that a PowerStrokeBoost would've been a $9k engine upgrade, but 27-28 MPG overall would've been amazing.

Sponsored

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Software
I would buy another PB. I am getting a consistent 23MPG over 2000 miles of city and taking trips in the Mountains. I think they could have put a larger battery and used the 2.7 EB and even made it better. The power delivery is unreal. Driving over 14 foot mountain passes is a cakewalk for this vehicle. I have a hard time getting the RPMS to approach 3k climbing huge passes.

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I would buy another PB. I am getting a consistent 23MPG over 2000 miles of city and taking trips in the Mountains. I think they could have put a larger battery and used the 2.7 EB and even made it better. The power delivery is unreal. Driving over 14 foot mountain passes is a cakewalk for this vehicle. I have a hard time getting the RPMS to approach 3k climbing huge passes.
Those 14 foot mountain passes will rea;;y get after you. :)

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've only owned the PB for a month and it's getting better by the day. The MPG is averaging 25-27 now running 93 octane vs the 19 MPG crap gas from the dealer. Gobs of power, quiet, and very capable truck. Tested the 7.2 KW Pro-power on my house and it performed flawlessly. Even strong enough for the AC (with an EasyStart unit) to fire up and run. All in all, I would say yeah I would buy it again.

But it is a Hybrid Pick-up truck. A real full sized truck capable of 1/2 ton truck duty.
I agree it's not a Prius.
It's far better than the Lightning with the standard range battery that's for sure.

Last edited:

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
The Lightning is great for a grocery getter. Useless for doing real truck stuff, especially towing.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
The Lightning is great for a grocery getter. Useless for doing real truck stuff, especially towing.
yup. Just wait for cold Weather. Current working ranges (towing/heavy loads) will drop by half. A lot of electric owners in for a rude awakening if they try to do truck things in the winter.
Sponsored