Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Since complaining about my fuel economy over the last month... I started to try the Eco Mode again and see what that does... It appears that the EcoMode after the last OTA Update had remedied some of my issues and actually drives differently than the Normal mode. We are still not getting the Fuel Economy Rating but we are closer at 21.5 on this tank so far.
Sponsored

Mxp0w3r25

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Wow that is really impressive.

Can the 7.2kw run while I'm driving? Like if I want to charge an elelctric motorcycle in the bed and run a refrigerator or something?
I have run a small electric cooler off the plugs in the bed without issue while
Driving.

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Just a general information bulletin for those doing initial F-150 engine research.
Opinions are my own.

EcoBoost = V6 engine with turbos.

PowerBoost = EcoBoost engine (same V6 engine with turbos) + Electric motor & batteries.
➜ PB > EB for most situations, if you can spend the $. Battery and electric motor will reduce payload capacity though.
➜ PB is ideal for non/limited-towing users or those specifically seeking 7.2kw inverter. Turbos kick in at high demand; with turbos on: V6+turbo < MPG in comparison to V8.

5.0L V8
➜ Ideal for frequent towing, especially heavier and non-aerodynamic loads. If you’re approaching 10k-lbs trailer, recommend SuperDuty instead.

Diesel
➜ As of Model Year 22, no longer an available option.

Last edited:

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I’m with you. I just hit 3,000 miles and my last two tanks have averaged hand calc’d 15.7 mpg (truck says 18mpg) and prior were worse. I do have a Fox 2.0 level and 34in tires, but my tire set up is only 5lbs more per tire than the stock set up. I can’t fathom that can reduce the mpg from 24 to less than 16, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m still average 15%+ electric miles, which seems to be fairly standard for stock too. I feel like this hybrid system wasn’t as baked as it should have been from the engineers. Or I have an issue with my ICE part of the system.n
I'm with you, I have the same fox 2.0 level and I have heavier tires (Load E Falken Wildpeaks) which are approx 20 pounds MORE per tire. Increased rolling resistance and worse aero means I get around what you are saying, around 15-16mpg. However now since its winter, Im lucky if I get 14.5. Sometimes I wish I wouldnt have gotten the level, however the increased travel, better ride and more durable tires are worth it IMHO. Oh, and the looks are killer. :cool:

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Lifetime mpg is about 21 on my XLT. Some rare trips have averaged as high as 26. Averaged 20-23 on a few trips this summer pulling a pop up camper (approx 2500#) with two passengers and a bed full of camping gear. My V6 Jeep Gladiator would get around 17-18 on the same duty.

This thing really shines on the secondary roads and stop and go trips where speeds are below 55. The electric motor can kick in much more often with careful driving (these were the types of trips where it's hit 26mpg). Bought mine mostly for the Power and the generator for camping, but the mileage has not disappointed in my use case, but I'm towing next to nothing compared to most here.

Even though I have no real regrets with the PB, there are times when I wish I had gotten a V8 or normal 3.5 EB (usually while tooling around at low speed, listening to the silly sounding pedestrian warning system drone on; or peering at all of the mysterious looking hybrid components and wondering what happens when something goes wrong outside warranty).

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Now living in Michigan, I think the standard Ecoboost would get better mpg in the winter. Power straight from engine, trans, rearend. The Powerboost is adding the drag of the electric motor /regen and it's so cold the electric motor doesn't get used much and if it does, not for long. Summer, Powerboost gets significantly better mpg. I don't know if you would break even within 2 years as far as dollars out of pocket between the two up here.

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
Wow that is really impressive.

Can the 7.2kw run while I'm driving? Like if I want to charge an elelctric motorcycle in the bed and run a refrigerator or something?
Yes, absolutely. In fact, this holiday I plugged a string of LED lights into the bed of my truck and lit up a Christmas wreath. Upon start-up, the truck sensed that there was something plugged-in and asked me to confirm turning on ProPower. I posted a pic here -
Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 1643824550398

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/this-is-christmas.7395/

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
I’m with you. I just hit 3,000 miles and my last two tanks have averaged hand calc’d 15.7 mpg (truck says 18mpg) and prior were worse. I do have a Fox 2.0 level and 34in tires, but my tire set up is only 5lbs more per tire than the stock set up. I can’t fathom that can reduce the mpg from 24 to less than 16, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m still average 15%+ electric miles, which seems to be fairly standard for stock too. I feel like this hybrid system wasn’t as baked as it should have been from the engineers. Or I have an issue with my ICE part of the system.n
It's odd to me that the truck computer is so far off the hand calculated mpg figures, but I keep seeing situations where it really is. I have only had my Powerboost for a month, but I noticed something and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. Do you warm your truck up using remote start before you get in and turn on the ignition?

Since its cold where I live, I will warm my truck up for 5 or so minutes before getting it. It seems that the trip computer isn't figuring the MPG as 0 when its warming up and started using the remote start. In my old truck, every time I'd warm it up using remote start the MPG on my trip computer would generally drop by a couple tenths. I reset at every fill up so it would reflect a change like that. With the Powerboost, it doesn't seem to do that. I never notice a drop in mpg after it's been warming up on remote start. Even the This Trip screen will not show a hit because of it warming up when turned on with remote start.

Does anyone else notice this? If so, that could be a reason for the large discrepancies between actual MPG and computer MPG. I have only filled up twice, and both times have forgotten to hand calculate MPG. Filling up again soon so hopefully I will remember to do it.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
It's odd to me that the truck computer is so far off the hand calculated mpg figures, but I keep seeing situations where it really is. I have only had my Powerboost for a month, but I noticed something and was wondering if anyone else has seen it. Do you warm your truck up using remote start before you get in and turn on the ignition?

Since its cold where I live, I will warm my truck up for 5 or so minutes before getting it. It seems that the trip computer isn't figuring the MPG as 0 when its warming up and started using the remote start. In my old truck, every time I'd warm it up using remote start the MPG on my trip computer would generally drop by a couple tenths. I reset at every fill up so it would reflect a change like that. With the Powerboost, it doesn't seem to do that. I never notice a drop in mpg after it's been warming up on remote start. Even the This Trip screen will not show a hit because of it warming up when turned on with remote start.

Does anyone else notice this? If so, that could be a reason for the large discrepancies between actual MPG and computer MPG. I have only filled up twice, and both times have forgotten to hand calculate MPG. Filling up again soon so hopefully I will remember to do it.
I’ve been planning to test this once it’s warmer out, but I think you’re on to something. My ‘13 mustang was manual so obviously didn’t have remote start, and it always underreported MPG by .5-1. Thinking maybe ford adds some estimated correction for this issue, but not enough - thereby being the reason my mustang underestimated and my truck overestimates. I don’t use remote start very often (but do occasionally. Usually only runs for a couple minutes), and I find my MPG to be within 1 or less of the real mpg

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer

@LHoffmanjr22 -
Yes, I have also noticed that the mpg is off by about 3-4%. I used to be annoyed by it as well. But I have begun to develop a theory that perhaps it is deliberate. Its a subtle sign that we should move from the stock 32.9" tires to 34" tires! That would roughly cancel-out the error, giving us a truer reading! Brilliant!

Thank you again, Ford!!!

Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Anyone else notice that the EPA sticker numbers for the 22' Powerboost show 23/23/23 now?

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
@LHoffmanjr22 -
Yes, I have also noticed that the mpg is off by about 3-4%. I used to be annoyed by it as well. But I have begun to develop a theory that perhaps it is deliberate. Its a subtle sign that we should move from the stock 32.9" tires to 34" tires! That would roughly cancel-out the error, giving us a truer reading! Brilliant!

Thank you again, Ford!!!
You're correct. My speedo was off with the stock tires when comparing it to GPS in Google Maps and Waze. After I went to 34" tires (285/60r20), the speedo matches GPS.

dsheppard20

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2021 F150 Powerboost Full Hybrid

Mine usually goes down some when I remote start. I will say I feel like the truck and specifically the hybrid system runs better after I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so. The benefit far outweighs the small loss in fuel.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
Mine usually goes down some when I remote start. I will say I feel like the truck and specifically the hybrid system runs better after I let it warm up for 5 minutes or so. The benefit far outweighs the small loss in fuel.
Definitely agree there. I’ve only had the powerboost since the beginning of January so I can’t compare its performance to warm weather, but definitely notice that once everything is warmed up it goes into electric much quicker and stays there longer.
Sponsored