Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
Yes. The most underrated part of having a hybrid is being able to have AC running while the engine is off. That is why I would never go back to a non-hybrid for a daily driver.

The improved MPG, extra HP and Torque, and 7.2 kW inverter are just icing on the cake.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost
No regrets at all. I can't imagine not having a hybrid again actually (as long as they are all similar to the Powerboost). The bump in HP and torque are awesome, and the MPG advantage, while slight, will add up over time and is great. Best part is what was said above, being able to be parked in the car comfortably and have the engine off while sacrificing none of the creature comforts. I used to hate waiting outside a store or in pickup lines for kids because I knew it was just a waste of gas. Now it really doesn't matter. Also driving around a parking lot in electric is neat. Everything is so quiet and smooth. At stop lights, the few times my engine is running to warm up when I am stopped, its jarring to hear and feel the engine running. Ive gotten so used to the hybrid that I don't notice it doing its thing. The move from electric to gas while taking off or driving just feels like a gear shift. Unless there's long term usability problems that have yet to be discovered (I don't expect them, but it is fairly new tech), I wouldn't buy anything else again.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
So I regular sit and eat lunch while idling for 20-25 minutes at a time. Are you saying the engine is off most of this time but I can still use HVAC and stuff? That would be huge for my use case.

JIMFOUNTAIN

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 SCREW PB 6.5' 701A
So I regular sit and eat lunch while idling for 20-25 minutes at a time. Are you saying the engine is off most of this time but I can still use HVAC and stuff? That would be huge for my use case.
Most of the time spent in a fast food drivethru and then eating... no ICE running! I am now a hybrid fan. But the biggest reason for hybrid for me was 7.2 KW! I have used it to run house. Electric pole saws (2) in the middle of nowhere. 240V heater. Etc.

Sponsored

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Would go with PB again. The electric side powering all features saves a ton of idle time. Sitting in the cold and having the engine fire up for less than a minute every 20minutes is great. We can sit for hours using really no fuel and be warm or cool as needed inside the truck. I've not used it much but the 7.2kw on board is also a great addition.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Model 3 Performance
Would go with PB again. The electric side powering all features saves a ton of idle time. Sitting in the cold and having the engine fire up for less than a minute every 20minutes is great. We can sit for hours using really no fuel and be warm or cool as needed inside the truck. I've not used it much but the 7.2kw on board is also a great addition.
Wow that is really impressive.

Can the 7.2kw run while I'm driving? Like if I want to charge an elelctric motorcycle in the bed and run a refrigerator or something?

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
If I had to do over again, i would have opted for the Hybrid (over the 3.5 V6 I have).. the power it offers was a missed opportunity for me, particularly being in a neighborhood that's prone to power outages. I could have really taken advantage of that capability. That along with the other features that comes with it is really appealing.

PB2021

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Wow that is really impressive.

Can the 7.2kw run while I'm driving? Like if I want to charge an elelctric motorcycle in the bed and run a refrigerator or something?
Yes. I've not done it but I've read posts of other owners running their travel trailer equipment while under tow.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Depends on what you are using that requires power I assume, but I have sat in the truck with the heater set to 70, heated seats, heated steering wheel, lights, and radio all on and the truck will start once or twice in a 30 minute period for about a minute each time. It just turns on to charge the batteries back up and then shuts itself off again. Its great. And it's well below freezing where I live right now, so I imagine the batteries aren't performing at their peek because of the cold.

Sponsored

gwrace14651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD
We've owned several hybrids and currently have two 2015 Honda Accord hybrids. If you go easy on the go pedal you can get 700 miles of range on 14 gallons of gas. Running and parking in EV mode with no engine running is just another bonus. Listening to tunes and AC running with engine off on hot Texas days is a great bonus.

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes. I've not done it but I've read posts of other owners running their travel trailer equipment while under tow.
I didn't know that would be possible. That's yet another great reason that I wasn't aware of. I was planning on using the generator when on long trips to run AC in my camper if we stop for the night at a place without power, but didn't know I could use it while moving. Other than making sure the power cord was secure running down the side of the trailer that sounds awesome. One more mark in the Powerboost column!

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
I would not if I had a choice. Great drivetrain for commuting and light duty. Ask it to do any hard work or punch it, it becomes the least efficient vehicle in the Ford pickup lineup.
To be fair, you’d have similar results with the EcoBoost also - the engine’s turbos are the excessive fuel guzzlers under load, not because you have a PowerBoost motor working with the engine.

Agreed though. If you need a truck to haul or tow heavier loads the majority of the time, then save yourself the trouble and get a V8 - it’ll be more fuel efficient than an EcoBoost with the turbos on.