Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Pulling the Isinglass down would help a bunch. Plus it would save them from road rash.
I normally run without the isinglass up. In this case the window storage spot was used for something else. I actually do not think it makes much MPG difference, or is perhaps an advantage, as the aerodynamics may be helped helped by the isinglass - there's a lot of "stuff" in the cockpit to create turbulence, and the isinglass smoothies things around the boat and forces the wind pressure over the top instead of catching the wind under the cabin top (I have two additional kayaks on top of the boat transom and interior seats in this tow).
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
For you low mpg fellas it might only be fair to report that I dropped from my 23-25mpg results for my daily commute to 19.5 today.

Basically a 5mpg hit. So now I know that cold temps (relatively. 40's) and sloppy rainy weather changes the ball game. Admittedly I was in "Slippery" mode because I love 4A in the rain, but normally that would not drop me below the 20's mpg.

The big hit was that it took 7.5 miles to get the ECT to 190. The truck is usually thirsty until that temp and the hit was pretty hard, making it difficult for the next 16 miles to bring it back up over 20.

So yea, cold temps are the enemy of the benefits of the Hybrid.

Regardless, it's hard to complain when the truck is so well planted and coddling me in luxury while it rolls down the cold and slippery streets. :)

LHoffmanjr22

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercrew Powerboost

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
Not by my experience. My PowerBoost has better all around fuel economy than my 2018 2.7l, which was only towing a 3500 lb trailer and we are now towing a 6000 lb trailer.
What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the same experience.
Great to hear. I'm also going from an 18 2.7 302 to 22 PB 302A.
I bet it's possible you will get at least a couple more mpg once them frigid temps aren't fighting your first 10 miles every startup.

Edit: Just ran to get lunch at a local Diner in my rural area. It's not as cold in these parts. I don't baby the truck. But admittedly I wasn't driving hard either. Just typical, and so are the results. (35 & 45 & a small section of 55mph roads)

20220121_143133.jpg
This amazes me; and is completely different from my experiences.
Incredible. I continue to be absolutely blown away at the amazing MPG everyone ELSE is getting on their Powerboost. I only average between 19-20mpg on non-towing fuel ups, and best tank ever was 21.5mpg. What kills me is I used to average 22mpg on non-towing fuel ups on my 2017 EB 2WD. I didn't even have to TRY, I just got killer mpg versus the average.

1642809793697.png

This is average across users on Fuelly and what they are getting with their Powerboost. I'm right in the middle where I circled when not towing (my lifetime Fuelly average is 15.1mpg though due to towing miles).

Compare that to how I sat versus other 3.5L Ecoboosts where I was way above the average. I drive the same, which makes me think my 2017 EB was just a lucky truck, or my new one is super unlucky. I'm the same damn driver! It was a 2WD which helps aerodynamics on freeway, and had auto start/stop which helped in town. But dang I really thought I'd be an outlier on my Powerboost too :(

1642810077428.png
You are not alone! What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the same experience.
I too am blown away by other peoples milage. Even before i had my level on, I couldn't break 20 mpg on any trip. 1.8 miles to the grocery store at 35mph, taking the kids to the pool 0.6 miles away at 15mph, work trip 567 miles at 74 mph... never broke 20. All I could guess was the AC consumes that much energy, it was always 95+. Now that i have a level, I can't break 18 (factory tires and rims, just a level). My 2018 was almost identical (157" FX4 3.5EB) and it never dropped below 20, on an I10 road trip I could get 23 at 80mph.
What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the similar experience but had a 2018 2.7EB.
My life time average is right at 20 MPG with over 4k miles and that includes all the time I took my bass boat fishing and I'm retired so there are many of those.

1642963048163.jpeg
So not great, is this with AFE (actual fuel economy) adjusted? Are hand calculations the same at ~20mpg every fill up? Why is your SES light on?

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the same experience.

This amazes me; and is completely different from my experiences.
You are not alone! What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the same experience.
What is the build date on your truck? I am getting the similar experience but had a 2018 2.7EB.
So not great, is this with AFE (actual fuel economy) adjusted? Are hand calculations the same at ~20mpg every fill up? Why is your SES light on?
My SES light is on because the truck is on but not cranked.

The display is truck calculation but I did a 4 tank average by hand at fist. It was so close I stopped doing that, was something around 1/2 MPG off.

I think it is great considering this includes a lot of boat towing.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
For you low mpg fellas it might only be fair to report that I dropped from my 23-25mpg results for my daily commute to 19.5 today.

Basically a 5mpg hit. So now I know that cold temps (relatively. 40's) and sloppy rainy weather changes the ball game. Admittedly I was in "Slippery" mode because I love 4A in the rain, but normally that would not drop me below the 20's mpg.

The big hit was that it took 7.5 miles to get the ECT to 190. The truck is usually thirsty until that temp and the hit was pretty hard, making it difficult for the next 16 miles to bring it back up over 20.

So yea, cold temps are the enemy of the benefits of the Hybrid.

Regardless, it's hard to complain when the truck is so well planted and coddling me in luxury while it rolls down the cold and slippery streets. :)
I think a big part of this is from slippery mode - slippery mode reduces, if not completely gets rid of, regen braking. That would cut into mileage quite a bit

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
Congrats to those that are getting great gas mileage. I can't say I am not getting bad MPG but not what I expected. I average between 19 and 20 MPG and currently have 4000+ miles on the truck. I am definitely not a hard driver, I only pulled a small trailer around town once, and most of my driving is around or just outside town. About 1K of it is highway miles between 76-78 MPH. Being in middle Georgia the weather is not extremely cold. Not a BIG improvement over my 2017 F-350 KR that averaged in the 17s when not towing.

So to answer the question if I would order the PB again, probably not right now till they have some time to improve it. Especially since they still haven't activated the advertised BC and having issues with OTA updates.

renffurt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
Congrats to those that are getting great gas mileage. I can't say I am not getting bad MPG but not what I expected. I average between 19 and 20 MPG and currently have 4000+ miles on the truck. I am definitely not a hard driver, I only pulled a small trailer around town once, and most of my driving is around or just outside town. About 1K of it is highway miles between 76-78 MPH. Being in middle Georgia the weather is not extremely cold. Not a BIG improvement over my 2017 F-350 KR that averaged in the 17s when not towing.

So to answer the question if I would order the PB again, probably not right now till they have some time to improve it. Especially since they still haven't activated the advertised BC and having issues with OTA updates.
would you go back you your 350KR or would you order a different f150 motor?

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
would you go back you your 350KR or would you order a different f150 motor?
If I could wave a magic wand I would have kept the 350 KR longer and waited till Ford had some time on the engine and truck to work out the kinks before considering this one. Also if they didn't just kill the Blue Cruise on the raptor I would go that direction.
I think Hybrid tech is great if executed properly. I also own a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe plug-in hybrid. I think the transfer from electric to gas is smoother on the Jeep and the whole system I think was better executed. In my opinion Ford could have went just a step further and made it a plug in and give selectable power options (Gas/Electric/Hybrid).

Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A Raptor as a towing platform?
I love what it is, but it's not an option to the F350 and honestly not the Powerboost either if towing is the focus.

And it's only fair to point out that there is a vast majority of Powerboost out there that are not experiencing malfunctions of the Hybrid drivetrain or the 7.2KW generator feature.

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
If I could wave a magic wand I would have kept the 350 KR longer and waited till Ford had some time on the engine and truck to work out the kinks before considering this one. Also if they didn't just kill the Blue Cruise on the raptor I would go that direction.
I think Hybrid tech is great if executed properly. I also own a 2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe plug-in hybrid. I think the transfer from electric to gas is smoother on the Jeep and the whole system I think was better executed. In my opinion Ford could have went just a step further and made it a plug in and give selectable power options (Gas/Electric/Hybrid).
I too feel like I should have kept my 2018... If the F150 had the 3.0L EB / Hybrid like the Lincoln I think the truck would have been a great intermediate with range and fuel economy AND capacity. I also think that the 3.0EB /Hybrid in the Lincoln would have resulted in a much more appropriate maximum 8,500 tow rating. My thought is that Ford went with the Hybrid on the 3.5EB because they know people 'trust' it now...

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
A Raptor as a towing platform?
I love what it is, but it's not an option to the F350 and honestly not the Powerboost either if towing is the focus.

And it's only fair to point out that there is a vast majority of Powerboost out there that are not experiencing malfunctions of the Hybrid drivetrain or the 7.2KW generator feature.
I went from a 350 to a 150 as I no longer need the truck for towing. That is a rare event these days.
I also never said my PB ever malfunctioned. I only pointed out since I now own 2 hybrid vehicles that "my opinion" is that my Jeep is a more polished product. I know Ford will continue to improve on there product as they always do and probably be the superior hybrid given enough time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ahhh
My bad. I think I was lazy and just assumed that you were one of the folks that were unfortunate to have issues and then posted as though it represented the Powerboost as a whole.

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
Ahhh
My bad. I think I was lazy and just assumed that you were one of the folks that were unfortunate to have issues and then posted as though it represented the Powerboost as a whole.
No worries Brother.
Sponsored