Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

dsheppard20

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2021 F150 Powerboost Full Hybrid
Your Pcm is miscalculating your mpg by some percentage based on your truck is actually traveling farther than the odometer is giving you credit for. The taller tire has a longer circumference. Your traveling faster than your speedometer too. :)

Load a GPS app like waze and when it says you are doing 70mph, check your speedometer. Maybe all your mpg are off by say 10%?
I have. It appears to be accurate. I had the generator turned off, but when I went to check it was on, which I heard that even when not in use can impact the MPG.
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
I too am blown away by other peoples milage. Even before i had my level on, I couldn't break 20 mpg on any trip. 1.8 miles to the grocery store at 35mph, taking the kids to the pool 0.6 miles away at 15mph, work trip 567 miles at 74 mph... never broke 20. All I could guess was the AC consumes that much energy, it was always 95+. Now that i have a level, I can't break 18 (factory tires and rims, just a level). My 2018 was almost identical (157" FX4 3.5EB) and it never dropped below 20, on an I10 road trip I could get 23 at 80mph.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I too am blown away by other peoples milage. Even before i had my level on, I couldn't break 20 mpg on any trip. 1.8 miles to the grocery store at 35mph, taking the kids to the pool 0.6 miles away at 15mph, work trip 567 miles at 74 mph... never broke 20. All I could guess was the AC consumes that much energy, it was always 95+. Now that i have a level, I can't break 18 (factory tires and rims, just a level). My 2018 was almost identical (157" FX4 3.5EB) and it never dropped below 20, on an I10 road trip I could get 23 at 80mph.
Those trips are too short. It uses extra fuel while warming up, and the battery isn’t as efficient. I find that 4-5 miles is the break point where it really starts to return the high mpgs in local driving. I have an 8 mile trip I do fairly often and that’s when I get to the high 20s/low 30s

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Those trips are too short. It uses extra fuel while warming up, and the battery isn’t as efficient. I find that 4-5 miles is the break point where it really starts to return the high mpgs in local driving. I have an 8 mile trip I do fairly often and that’s when I get to the high 20s/low 30s
Once I get more than 4 miles from my house I’m on the tollway at 75mph. Guess I just don’t live in the right area.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
The manual XLT tow mirrors are un-adjustable beyond folding them. If you could manually push the mirrors in from their extended position I'd be completely happy. I want the mirrors in their current position for maybe two weeks out of the year. The rest of the time they are a hassle when parking and getting out of the garage.

The only thing I wanted on the Lariat was power tow mirrors. But, the price increase is over $12,000 and I bought what the dealer had, not a special order.
I'd be pretty miffed since Ford clearly lists them as telescoping tow mirrors
I have an XLT with the tow mirrors. They do manually telescope. It is about 4" or so. I keep mine "in" even when towing and they're great. Let me know if you need any pics.

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
NO, I would not buy another PB, There is no way I can even get close to 24 MPG. The electric does not kick in unless I am going downhill. I drive like Grandma going to church trying to increase the MPG, 19 mpg. I towed my 2500# trailer empty and could not even get 7 mpg. I step on the throttle pedal as if there is an egg between my foot and the pedal, still bad mileage. PB is not what it is bragged up to be, at least not mine.
Did you get better fuel economy in a 3.5 EB? Not trying to say it's right for your needs, but I don't think you'd be seeing much better from a standard Ecoboost.

doubt it all you want. I've documented it multiple times. Here's a full tank result just last month towing my boat on I-95 in Florida, mostly flat, 65 mph exactly the speed limit. Note zero remaining range, I barely made it to the gas pump where I took this pic, after 153 miles from one tank of fuel. 5.0 mpg. Towing this boat I get 4.8-5.5 mpg depending on headwinds and fuel load. Fact. Buyer beware. I love my KR PB, knew it might be this way, buy a Super Duty is a much better tool for towing. A Powerboost is optimized to meet efficiency targets only while empty AND while not tipping into the turbos at all for its class-leading horsepower and torque. You can have (1) power, (2) high mpg or (3) payload. With a PB, pick any two. With a Super Duty you can have all three.
You forget to put the giant asterisk about your towing setup. You're towing at (and likely over based on other posts you have here) the limits of your truck. Your boat is a 10,000+# sail on the back, then you added kayaks over the bed to catch more air while driving for good measure.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
My life time average is right at 20 MPG with over 4k miles and that includes all the time I took my bass boat fishing and I'm retired so there are many of those.

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 1642963048163

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Your setup is quite large for a 150, especially with two big kayaks hanging off the roof. Have you actually taken your setup over the scales to see what your boat's total weight is? Unless you're constantly speeding up and down I still feel you should be getting more than 5.0 mpg doing 65 on flat ground.
Yes, I’m right at max specs for payload, well under tow rating.

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 57C8354D-84AA-450C-9A6C-09E5DFD7A62E

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Did you get better fuel economy in a 3.5 EB? Not trying to say it's right for your needs, but I don't think you'd be seeing much better from a standard Ecoboost.

You forget to put the giant asterisk about your towing setup. You're towing at (and likely over based on other posts you have here) the limits of your truck. Your boat is a 10,000+# sail on the back, then you added kayaks over the bed to catch more air while driving for good measure.
Fully within specs, documented as such.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Even if it's within payload and towing limits, that looks like an aerodynamics nightmare. I could easily see that putting a big dent in mileage.
All these discussions are difficult without very direct comparisons. How would a same year Ecoboost fare towing that?

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Yes, I’m right at max specs for payload, well under tow rating.

57C8354D-84AA-450C-9A6C-09E5DFD7A62E.jpeg
Pulling the Isinglass down would help a bunch. Plus it would save them from road rash.

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Maybe... I wanted the 7.2 kW generator to be able to power my house. It won't... So would have to think...

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I have an XLT with the tow mirrors. They do manually telescope. It is about 4" or so. I keep mine "in" even when towing and they're great. Let me know if you need any pics.
I acquired a mirror like mine someone pulled off in an upgrade. I'm going to evaluate if I can shorten the posts to make the extended position where the current "in" position is.

Technically, I have about 3" of wiggle room to make it in the garage with both mirrors unfolded. Too close for comfort. With the narrower width it will be easy.

STJonesin4

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 King Ranch
Occupation
Construction