Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

toyko joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT PowerBoost FX4
If I had the opportunity to order my truck instead of buying it off the lot... I would say Yes I would order a PB again. I would not get a 4x4 though, it is not needed for my lifestyle.
Sponsored

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
It does appear to matter why you bought the truck to determine whether you're pleased or not. It also appears that towing is definitely not its strong point in terms of fuel efficiency.
I never imagined anything other than charging when going downhill at freeway speeds or when towing. It's just a plain EcoBoost when towing.

I am just hitting 1000 miles on my PB. Electric mode works up to about 48 mph on mostly level ground. I am getting 22 mph with snow tires, driving it for break-in, not mileage. Around town I'm mostly in electric mode. It seems to utilize electric mode more after the engine is warmed up.

I bought the 84/100,000 ESP for $3K, which leaves me with peace of mind on what is probably an experimental truck. I've driven lots of hybrid Ford cars via business rentals, so I don't feel like hybrid is a gamble per se, but how long this thing will hold together is a bit of a question.

I really like this truck overall.

renffurt

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Sales
It tows and powers my travel trailer with AC, microwave convection oven, coffee maker, water heater and everything else. We can camp anywhere, national forest, blm off grid with no concerns about power. It’s a great daily driver at 20++ mpg. It’s a comfortable, nice handling road trip vehicle with or without the trailer. Plenty of power and torque. Eco idle is nice bonus for the dog. Pretty much the perfect vehicle for my needs. Not one regret. Would buy again.

Yes, you can use the inverter while driving. I’ve previously owned an F-250 7.3l and a Ram 3500, both great for towing and hauling, but not what I need or expect from the Powerboost.

54750F7A-66A0-4CE2-9AF9-BB300AA519A4.jpeg
How are the mirrors? I am on the fence about ordering tow mirrors? I have 23' Tige Z3 boat.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Lawyer
How are the mirrors? I am on the fence about ordering tow mirrors? I have 23' Tige Z3 boat.
My trailer is a Winnebago 2100BH. 7’ wide with a slide out so the stock mirrors are fine. Anything more than 7’ and I would use tow mirrors.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I don't see why they didn't go with a V8 "ecoboost" since the mpg of the v6 is not amazing. I think the v8 would also tow with better mpg … and pickups are meant to be V8s! : )
I guess we should be glad it's not a small displacement diesel (diesel is pretty much "over" worldwide, so getting an OEM to build a diesel would be an expensive short-term proposition.)
Diesel outside of the US is actually more popular than gasoline in a lot of places (esp like Europe). Diesel is far from over worldwide and in the U.S. The Superduty will be diesel for many many years to come because it’s the better option for heavy duty applications. Ford killing off the 3.0 was more about engine demand/ Covid supply. The 3.0 is in 22’ F150’s outside the US and in the Ranger.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Diesel outside of the US is actually more popular than gasoline in a lot of places (esp like Europe). Diesel is far from over worldwide and in the U.S. The Superduty will be diesel for many many years to come because it’s the better option for heavy duty applications. Ford killing off the 3.0 was more about engine demand/ Covid supply. The 3.0 is in 22’ F150’s outside the US and in the Ranger.
The end of diesel in the F-150 and half-ton sales overall, in passenger vehicles, perhaps accelerated by the emissions fraud convictions (VW, BMW, Mercedes, etc.) and the sales of electric vehicles overtaking diesel sales, as well as the global emphasis on electric forcing all carmakers to spend their billions on factories and R&D to catch up in the EV markets. I think all of the ICE makers have indicated they've built their last new "burn stuff" engine (most of them declaring they have quit R&D on combustion, Mercedes recently announcing it has built its last V12.)
There's no generalized description of all heavy duty, industrial and commercial engines, but in a 2030 time-frame, I think new fleet purchases will want more competitive powertrains (turbine generators with electric drive trains for example.)
I'd like to see Ford offer an F-250 with V8 plug-in hybrid for example.

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
The manual XLT tow mirrors are un-adjustable beyond folding them. If you could manually push the mirrors in from their extended position I'd be completely happy. I want the mirrors in their current position for maybe two weeks out of the year. The rest of the time they are a hassle when parking and getting out of the garage.

The only thing I wanted on the Lariat was power tow mirrors. But, the price increase is over $12,000 and I bought what the dealer had, not a special order.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
The manual XLT tow mirrors are un-adjustable beyond folding them. If you could manually push the mirrors in from their extended position I'd be completely happy. I want the mirrors in their current position for maybe two weeks out of the year. The rest of the time they are a hassle when parking and getting out of the garage.

The only thing I wanted on the Lariat was power tow mirrors. But, the price increase is over $12,000 and I bought what the dealer had, not a special order.
I'd be pretty miffed since Ford clearly lists them as telescoping tow mirrors

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? Screenshot_20220121-114917_Edge

Buddy

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Veteran
and if so, why or why not?
Yes, I certainly would. I never did like the fact on my previous Power Stroke (diesel), the engine would cut out at a stop light, cutting the air conditioning and/or heater down in 95 degree temps. I like trying to see how far can I go when traveling down the road and the engine shuts down before it starts up again. My record so far is 1.4 miles. I was hoping for better gas milage then the 20.4 MPG I'm getting now. I was getting 24 MPG with my 3.0 diesel Platinum.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, I certainly would. I never did like the fact on my previous Power Stroke (diesel), the engine would cut out at a stop light, cutting the air conditioning and/or heater down in 95 degree temps. I like trying to see how far can I go when traveling down the road and the engine shuts down before it starts up again. My record so far is 1.4 miles. I was hoping for better gas milage then the 20.4 MPG I'm getting now. I was getting 24 MPG with my 3.0 diesel Platinum.
I bet it's possible you will get at least a couple more mpg once them frigid temps aren't fighting your first 10 miles every startup.

Edit: Just ran to get lunch at a local Diner in my rural area. It's not as cold in these parts. I don't baby the truck. But admittedly I wasn't driving hard either. Just typical, and so are the results. (35 & 45 & a small section of 55mph roads)

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 20220121_143133

Last edited:

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I bet it's possible you will get at least a couple more mpg once them frigid temps aren't fighting your first 10 miles every startup.

Edit: Just ran to get lunch at a local Diner in my rural area. It's not as cold in these parts. I don't baby the truck. But admittedly I wasn't driving hard either. Just typical, and so are the results. (35 & 45 & a small section of 55mph roads)

20220121_143133.jpg
Incredible. I continue to be absolutely blown away at the amazing MPG everyone ELSE is getting on their Powerboost. I only average between 19-20mpg on non-towing fuel ups, and best tank ever was 21.5mpg. What kills me is I used to average 22mpg on non-towing fuel ups on my 2017 EB 2WD. I didn't even have to TRY, I just got killer mpg versus the average.

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 1642809793697

This is average across users on Fuelly and what they are getting with their Powerboost. I'm right in the middle where I circled when not towing (my lifetime Fuelly average is 15.1mpg though due to towing miles).

Compare that to how I sat versus other 3.5L Ecoboosts where I was way above the average. I drive the same, which makes me think my 2017 EB was just a lucky truck, or my new one is super unlucky. I'm the same damn driver! It was a 2WD which helps aerodynamics on freeway, and had auto start/stop which helped in town. But dang I really thought I'd be an outlier on my Powerboost too :(

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 1642810077428

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@daemonic3
Keep in mind that my image above was the return trip home from the Diner. So the ECT and Tranny Temp (and battery?) were already very close to "Normal" operating temps.
I don't remember exactly what the first coldstart leg was, but it's pretty cold for this part of the world (40's) and I can verify that the first 5-7 miles in the morning are considerably less efficient. I would guess 19mpg going TO the Diner.

Also note that some of the folks getting less than others are likely traveling in different circumstances. I'm just fortunate to drive in really good Hybrid scenario.

And finally, as a comparison, my previous truck of ~4 years was a KingRanch 4WD 3.5 Ecoboost and I would get maybe 17.5 to 18 where the Powerboost is getting 24-25. But at 80mph Texas Interstate driving they are actually pretty close. ~20ish.

21F150_208

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'd be pretty miffed since Ford clearly lists them as telescoping tow mirrors

Screenshot_20220121-114917_Edge.jpg
Thanks for this - I contacted the dealership and it turns out what I think is the extended position is actually fully retracted. The extended length is perfect for a side view of the last wheel in a 40' trailer. I'm going to figure out how to disassemble them and trim them to size.

Last edited:

dsheppard20

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future 2021 F150 Powerboost Full Hybrid
Incredible. I continue to be absolutely blown away at the amazing MPG everyone ELSE is getting on their Powerboost. I only average between 19-20mpg on non-towing fuel ups, and best tank ever was 21.5mpg. What kills me is I used to average 22mpg on non-towing fuel ups on my 2017 EB 2WD. I didn't even have to TRY, I just got killer mpg versus the average.

1642809793697.png

This is average across users on Fuelly and what they are getting with their Powerboost. I'm right in the middle where I circled when not towing (my lifetime Fuelly average is 15.1mpg though due to towing miles).

Compare that to how I sat versus other 3.5L Ecoboosts where I was way above the average. I drive the same, which makes me think my 2017 EB was just a lucky truck, or my new one is super unlucky. I'm the same damn driver! It was a 2WD which helps aerodynamics on freeway, and had auto start/stop which helped in town. But dang I really thought I'd be an outlier on my Powerboost too :(

1642810077428.png
I’m with you. I just hit 3,000 miles and my last two tanks have averaged hand calc’d 15.7 mpg (truck says 18mpg) and prior were worse. I do have a Fox 2.0 level and 34in tires, but my tire set up is only 5lbs more per tire than the stock set up. I can’t fathom that can reduce the mpg from 24 to less than 16, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m still average 15%+ electric miles, which seems to be fairly standard for stock too. I feel like this hybrid system wasn’t as baked as it should have been from the engineers. Or I have an issue with my ICE part of the system.n

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m with you. I just hit 3,000 miles and my last two tanks have averaged hand calc’d 15.7 mpg (truck says 18mpg) and prior were worse. I do have a Fox 2.0 level and 34in tires, but my tire set up is only 5lbs more per tire than the stock set up. I can’t fathom that can reduce the mpg from 24 to less than 16, but maybe I’m wrong. I’m still average 15%+ electric miles, which seems to be fairly standard for stock too. I feel like this hybrid system wasn’t as baked as it should have been from the engineers. Or I have an issue with my ICE part of the system.n
Your Pcm is miscalculating your mpg by some percentage based on your truck is actually traveling farther than the odometer is giving you credit for. The taller tire has a longer circumference. Your traveling faster than your speedometer too. :)

Load a GPS app like waze and when it says you are doing 70mph, check your speedometer. Maybe all your mpg are off by say 10%?
Sponsored