Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I am not experiencing the same results.
I have 2 ecoboosts 2015 and 2016 Lariats. I have a 2021 PB same style and equipment. The 2 EB trucks run right at 19 MPG on average and pulling a 14,000 rated trailer with a 8500 lb farm tractor on the trailer I get right at 10 MPG. The PB started in the summer at 26 MPG average, once it got in the 20-40 degree range I am not getting 21 MPG. Pulling the same traierand tractor I am getting 12 MPG.
What's amazing to me is the gas mileage being reported with their EB trucks. When I tow my 6000# GVWR trailer at 63 Mph. I usually get between 8.5 and 9.5. And if there are hills and wind it will dip into 7.5 territory.

And when driving around home which is subdivision, small town and country roads, I will get 15.5 to 16.5. On the interstate when not towing, I usually get 19+.

I have a 2014 XLT 4x4, 3.5L, Max tow and HDPP with 163" WB.
Sponsored

mnstang

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB Leadfoot
Occupation
US Gov
I would purchase it again in a heartbeat. Love it. However if you plan on towing I would pursue another engine choice. 5.0 probably. I towed a 7500lbs ice castle to and from North Dakota for waterfowl hunting and was getting 8.2 mpg. The 5.0 my buddy used a year prior got 12.5. I still love this way more than any other engine choice. Oh and make sure you get the 7.2kW inverter vs the 2.4. It’s a no brainer.

Rod507

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT Powerboost
I wanted this so dang bad... 7.2kw inverter, 10 speed hybrid transmission, 4x4, baby powerstroke diesel motor. It's a shame Ford killed off the diesel for 2022, nobody was ordering it and it was only around to compete with Fiat's EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 which seems to get a lot of love. I tried to order it (just the motor, they wouldn't pair it with the hybrid stuff) for my '21 but it showed "Late Availability" so I went with 3.5 EB. Would get PB if I had to do it over again and the only reason I stayed away was because it was a first generation product. Time proved me wrong on that choice.
yeah I don’t think pairing PS with 7.2 kw inverter is a thing. That combo would definitely dominate the industry?. One thing not impressive about diesel in the 1/2 ton segment is payload/towing from what I’ve seen due to engine weight. adding the hybrid battery would make it worse I suppose??‍♂

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
A couple of data points from my PB F150: Towing a ~6,ooo#GVWR camping trailer (10' H x 8' W), we see averages of ~10 mpg in higher elevations and mountain terrain, ~12 mpg at lower elevations and in level terrain. (That's after ~3,000 towing miles, up/down the Rocky Mountain spine between AZ and MT). Without the trailer, the hybrid system works well in the hilly terrain here in Prescott AZ. Descents are engine off, perhaps some regen if brakes are applied, motor initially handles the ascents until the grade gets too steep. As expected, the hybrid offers efficiency in stop & go traffic and of course no idling at the signals. (And yes, the pooch enjoys A/C during the summer while we're away from the truck). The main reason I changed over to a F150 PB from the plan to purchase a RAM was having the 7.2 KW 120V power supply for the trailer, as we almost exclusively boondock. No more fussing with the Honda inverter generator and portable solar panels (and still limited AC power). But it turns out the PB is more than the sum of its parts, now that we've lived with it for many months. It's a lot more than simply an appealing tow vehicle.

Perhaps the best single aspect of this truck has been my wife's reaction to it. She was very wary of switching to a 'truck' from the Tahoe SUV we previously had. She's been totally won over by the PB's civilized and comfortable performance.

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
I've had the PB "motor" replaced a few months ago. Yes, the electric motor /converter assembly. That's what the warranty is for. I was without the truck for a month. Again not the end of the world. I realize things break and I have enough sense and cents to have add'l vehicles so if one is down I'm fine.

I bought it for the generator to use as a house backup. At the time, no one knew about the ground problem and so it's not an easy or inexpensive backup on top of the add'l cost for the truck.

So, if I had to replace it, I'd go with a 3.5l Ecoboost.

Sponsored

kly

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Powerboost
Occupation
retired
NO, I would not buy another PB, There is no way I can even get close to 24 MPG. The electric does not kick in unless I am going downhill. I drive like Grandma going to church trying to increase the MPG, 19 mpg. I towed my 2500# trailer empty and could not even get 7 mpg. I step on the throttle pedal as if there is an egg between my foot and the pedal, still bad mileage. PB is not what it is bragged up to be, at least not mine.

SumGuy

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 (perpetually on order)
Occupation
Drugs
I am really curious about the longevity and reliability of the powerboost.

Assuming it performs and is reliable, I will opt for it with my next vehicle.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
NO, I would not buy another PB, There is no way I can even get close to 24 MPG. The electric does not kick in unless I am going downhill. I drive like Grandma going to church trying to increase the MPG, 19 mpg. I towed my 2500# trailer empty and could not even get 7 mpg. I step on the throttle pedal as if there is an egg between my foot and the pedal, still bad mileage. PB is not what it is bragged up to be, at least not mine.
One way to trick the system into kicking into electric and getting better fuel economy is to accelerate to 3-5mph over the speed limit, then lightly tap the brake for a second or so. The system will think you’re slowing down for a stop, it will kick into electric. Then lightly get back on the go pedal, you can maintain your speed while in electric mode. You may already be implementing this, but just a tip.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I thought you were joking … "no, hell no … I bought this F150 Prius because I was going to save on gas mileage!"
p.s. I've towed a 10,000lb+ triple axle race trailer and averaged 8-10 mpg. I "step on the throttle" and the rig can overtake an 18 wheeler over the grapevine while I sip a cup of coffee and listen to a Joe Rogan podcast. The PowerBoost is not the best tow vehicle for heavy work, get a diesel, but if you tow less than 10,000 miles per year and the PowerBoost can handle the work when called upon, don't suffer driving an empty Super Duty for the other six months of the year. That's the decision I made and my kidneys and my sanity are the better for it.

snyce1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F150PB PLATINUM, 17'Escape, 15'expeditionEL
and if so, why or why not?
No way. My powerboost has several computer errors . Bought it thinking about utility of propower generator. Upgraded to 7.2 in my order . Since day 1 Generator faults wont reset . Consistently fails if moisture .rain, snow, wash car . Sometimes dries over days but fails as soon as moisture again .totally unreliable. Trying to sell it with less than 4000 miles on it . No luck .i wont get another Ford .

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
No way. My powerboost has several computer errors . Bought it thinking about utility of propower generator. Upgraded to 7.2 in my order . Since day 1 Generator faults wont reset . Consistently fails if moisture .rain, snow, wash car . Sometimes dries over days but fails as soon as moisture again .totally unreliable. Trying to sell it with less than 4000 miles on it . No luck .i wont get another Ford .
Your example sounds like another one where a connector was not fully seated so the water seal was not complete.

FordConvert

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB 502A
Occupation
Builder
I don't know that I could go back to just ICE. Not just the extra power, but with how smooth that power is applied. Sitting in my truck, no ICE, in the comfort of AC or heat. No ICE while sitting in traffic or at a stop light. I also own a '17 EB and the PB is head and shoulders better.

I really doubt those that complain about mileage or other issues. Either their specific truck has a problem or they're not being realistic about how they drive. Any truck will get less mileage while towing and/or you constantly have your foot in it. It's simple thermodynamics.

I have two dump trailers that haul mostly trash. Empty they weight around 5500 lbs and often gross from 8000 to 10,000. My towing mileage is just over 10 mpg. My lifetime so far, with towing added in, is just over 20 mpg. And I don't baby the throttle all the time - I REALLY enjoy my 600 lbs of torque.

Last edited:

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
I don't know that I could go back to just ICE. Not just the extra power, but with how smooth that power is applied. Sitting in my truck, no ICE, in the comfort of AC or heat. No ICE while sitting in traffic or at a stop light. I also own a '17 EB and the PB is head and shoulders better.

I really doubt those that complain about mileage or other issues. Either their specific truck has a problem or they're not being realistic about how they drive. Any truck will get less mileage while towing and/or you constantly have your foot in it. It's simple thermodynamics.

I have two dump trailers that haul mostly trash. Empty they weight around 5500 lbs and often gross from 8000 to 10,000. My towing mileage is just over 10 mpg. My lifetime so far, with towing added in, is just over 20 mpg. And I don't baby the throttle all the time - I REALLY enjoy my 600 lbs of torque.
doubt it all you want. I've documented it multiple times. Here's a full tank result just last month towing my boat on I-95 in Florida, mostly flat, 65 mph exactly the speed limit. Note zero remaining range, I barely made it to the gas pump where I took this pic, after 153 miles from one tank of fuel. 5.0 mpg. Towing this boat I get 4.8-5.5 mpg depending on headwinds and fuel load. Fact. Buyer beware. I love my KR PB, knew it might be this way, buy a Super Duty is a much better tool for towing. A Powerboost is optimized to meet efficiency targets only while empty AND while not tipping into the turbos at all for its class-leading horsepower and torque. You can have (1) power, (2) high mpg or (3) payload. With a PB, pick any two. With a Super Duty you can have all three.

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? 5mpgf150

Last edited:

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
doubt it all you want. I've documented it multiple times. Here's a full tank result just last month towing my boat on I-95 in Florida, mostly flat, 65 mph exactly the speed limit. Note zero remaining range, I barely made it to the gas pump where I took this pic, after 153 miles from one tank of fuel. 5.0 mpg. Towing this boat I get 4.8-5.5 mpg depending on headwinds and fuel load. Fact. Buyer beware. I love my KR PB, knew it might be this way, buy a Super Duty is a much better tool for towing. A Powerboost is optimized to meet efficiency targets only while empty AND while not tipping into the turbos at all for its class-leading horsepower and torque. You can have (1) power, (2) high mpg or (3) payload. With a PB, pick any two. With a Super Duty you can have all three.

5mpgf150.jpg
I come to this from a different prospective. For me, the big draw is the 7.5Kw. That means I can boondock anywhere with my TT and not have to deploy a pair of Honda generators.

RedTXV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 SQ Limited
It does appear to matter why you bought the truck to determine whether you're pleased or not. It also appears that towing is definitely not its strong point in terms of fuel efficiency.
Sponsored