Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
To be fair, you’d have similar results with the EcoBoost also - the engine’s turbos are the excessive fuel guzzlers under load, not because you have a PowerBoost motor working with the engine.

Agreed though. If you need a truck to haul or tow heavier loads the majority of the time, then save yourself the trouble and get a V8 - it’ll be more fuel efficient than an EcoBoost with the turbos on.
Agreed, except with the PB, you are also dragging around the high voltage battery and electric motor weight when the ecoboost is working extra hard and dumping fuel in the turbos. I don't have data, but my experience with two ecoboosts is that they got way better mileage with the same tow than my PB does. (7.5-8 vs 5 mpg)
Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
It's not a "motor"... it's an "engine".
Sorry... I couldn't help myself!

I ordered the RCSB and that isn’t an option so I went with the 5.0 figuring it would likely be my last chance to buy a V8.

And WOW! What a powerhouse! Gas mileage is impressive as well.

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I'd still order another hybrid F150. Works perfect for my drive and needs.

RossRR

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 502A Rapid Red SCrew PB FX4 MaxTow
I wonder how much a 7.5KW battery would weigh and how much space it would consume. Would there be any payload left for it to be a truck, or just a people hauler?.

Last edited:

qewrtyturdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB Platinum (ordered)
I wonder how much a 7.5KW battery would weigh and how much space it would consume. Would would there be any payload left for it to be a truck, or just a people hauler?.
I looked into the Nissan Leaf to get the battery specs per watt hour, looks like a 7.5kWh would be ~100lbs and 1.5 cubic feet.

Sponsored

mwf5888

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR PowerBoost FX4 & 2024 Escape Platinum
Occupation
Instructional Designer
Even with the cold weather arriving and using auto start regularly I am still above 20 mpg, and I was lucky to maintain 18.5 - 19 mpg with my 2015 EcoBoost & 18.0 - 18.5 mpg with my 2018 5.0. Regular driving without auto start yields 22.5 - 24.0 mpg. I have learned the truck and how to get into electric mode in town.

Having the 7.2Kw generator has been useful in a few different situations where power isn't available. I regularly ride bikes with my wife and Mountain Bike Ride myself and having a plug-in compressor is great. We were at a recent event, and someone needed charge the low battery on the megaphone.

I run mostly in Eco mode for mpg reasons but when I get the itch and change to Sport mode, I can feel the extra torque put me into my seat.

I will absolutely order another PowerBoost in a few years.

NY Cowboy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat & 2015 Transit T-250
Occupation
Contractor
Love the PowerBoost engine on my Lariat great gas mileage, good power and have back up power on the job if needed. But Ford where is my Fxxking Blue Cruise I paid for in full!

Mhubbardva1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2016
Agreed, except with the PB, you are also dragging around the high voltage battery and electric motor weight when the ecoboost is working extra hard and dumping fuel in the turbos. I don't have data, but my experience with two ecoboosts is that they got way better mileage with the same tow than my PB does. (7.5-8 vs 5 mpg)
I am not experiencing the same results.
I have 2 ecoboosts 2015 and 2016 Lariats. I have a 2021 PB same style and equipment. The 2 EB trucks run right at 19 MPG on average and pulling a 14,000 rated trailer with a 8500 lb farm tractor on the trailer I get right at 10 MPG. The PB started in the summer at 26 MPG average, once it got in the 20-40 degree range I am not getting 21 MPG. Pulling the same traierand tractor I am getting 12 MPG.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I am not experiencing the same results.
I have 2 ecoboosts 2015 and 2016 Lariats. I have a 2021 PB same style and equipment. The 2 EB trucks run right at 19 MPG on average and pulling a 14,000 rated trailer with a 8500 lb farm tractor on the trailer I get right at 10 MPG. The PB started in the summer at 26 MPG average, once it got in the 20-40 degree range I am not getting 21 MPG. Pulling the same traierand tractor I am getting 12 MPG.
And every pickup truck I have ever owned is used to haul around my toolbox in the bed. I'm guessing it weighs as much as that baby battery and the accompanying hardware unique to the Powerboost. I don't think a couple of hundred pounds of cargo is an appreciable hit on fuel efficiency in a truck. Certainly not enough to discount the AMAZING advantages that Ford leveraged with the Powerboost.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
I would buy the Powerboost again (if need be). It's the most "diesel-like" gasoline powered truck I've driven, and my wife really likes it.

I also own a 3.0 turbo diesel Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's average MPG is about 10% better than the F150 PB, but it won't pull over 7K lbs, and it doesn't have a generator.

Sponsored

Slacker

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 3.5L Hybrid, SC, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Retired- Marine Chief Engineer in US Merchant Marine.
Yes. I've not done it but I've read posts of other owners running their travel trailer equipment while under tow.
I plan on running my 30 ft Keystone passport while driving down the road form my 7.2 kw power on board. I haven’t decided if I will use the large 30 Amp 4 prong plug or just run a heavy duty 12 gauge 20 amp cord. I have to secure a cord under the camper and run it all the way to the back end. I’m not worried about the A/C in the camper to much. Mainly want the Refrigerator on Electric and inverter to keep the camper battery charged. I’ve run my Refrigerator on propane going down the road but really isn’t safe to do especially if pulling in a gas station. I’ve all ready used my truck to power my whole house for 12 hours in a wind induced power outage here in Northern Michigan. It worked great and the Engine only ran about an 1 1/2 - 2 hours max during the 12 hours. It Used no more than 2 gallons of gas and was nice and quiet. Provides very stable power. Did not see much of a surge when large items such as water pump and Furnace starting. Love this truck. Doesn’t do so good in cold weather and snow as far as running on Electric but should be better in spring and summer. Love this truck so far and have just over 4000 miles on it since October 7th, 2021. Don’t think I would want the full Electric Lightening version though where I live. Some of my power outages have lasted for 2-3 days in the past and don’t think the all electric truck can power my house that long.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
Not sure yet. I don't use it as a work truck, where the generator would really help. And I've only had it during the cold/snow season so no camping yet, though I anticipate it being nice for that.
It's exceptionally quiet and powerful, which is certainly very nice.
But I'm around 18-19 mpg, which is not really what I was hoping for. And that's driving pretty conservatively most of the time. Not sure how much of that is due to the cold, hills and altitude here in Park City. Guess I'll see the effect of the cold next summer when it's not cold. And I guess it would be interesting to know what folks around here with similar driving habits and 2.7 or 3.5 ICE engines are getting. If those engines were at 15-16, maybe the PB is still worth it, even if it's not getting 22-24.
I got my PB XLT Sport 4x4 in March of 21. It's my daily driver of about 55 miles round trip for work. I use all three trip computers to monitor my fuel consumption. "Current Trip" is a valuable too to see evidence of how temps, stop-go traffic, and elevation change can affect your MPG. Trip 1 is reset every fuel fill-up to monitor for anomalies. Trip 2 is reset every oil change for overall averaging. I've been doing this since my 2018 2.7 EB STX to monitor engine health and performance.
Even with break-in miles, my overall average MPG from new to 1st oil change at about 7500 miles in September was 22.9MPG. Since then I'm at just under 13000 miles and am averaging 22.7MPG. Thus far with cooler temps and 'winter blend' fuel my mpg has decreased .2MPG to 22.7 and is continuing to drop even when trying to be more 'eco' on the throttle.
I can non-scientifically confirm that temps make a big difference in EB/PB engines. I go to work in the mornings at 30-40 degrees and average 21-22mpg vs the summer when I would routinely average 23-24mpg for the same trips. Here in the DFW area, temps going home can often be 30-40 degrees warmer with the return trip in the 23-24mpg range. There's no significant elevation or speed differences. Mostly just temperature. I'll be changing oil around 14000 miles when I'll reset trip 2 and continue to monitor until the next oil change, etc.
I can also say that hilly driving will make your turbo's spool and suck gas. This engine is very powerful and willing. Eco mode doesn't retard fuel consumption, it just 'softens' throttle inputs and shift patterns to hold taller gears longer. Going up-down hills will destroy mpg in a hurry.
The electric motor helps slow-medium speed driving below 50mph. It can't hold 45mph for more than a couple miles before the engine has to kick in to charge the battery. But that's not it's design purpose. It's main purpose in my opinion is to provide the generator function. The bonus is augmenting hp & torque and idling on electric only which in itself is a huge fuel savings if you honestly assess the amount of idle time in a non-hybrid. I get anxious now whenever I drive my wife's 2020 Mustang GT and sit idling at a drive-thru with that 5.0 rumbling away at the gas gauge!

gb7FRz26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SuperCrew Short Bed, 2010 Prius
No regrets here… but have to honestly say I still wonder about the diesel. Hindsight, for my use case it would make more sense since it does get better MPG. Power boost MPG definitely not as advertised but way better than the 14MPG I was getting with my ZR2.

if they would only make a diesel with the Pro-power onboard!
I wanted this so dang bad... 7.2kw inverter, 10 speed hybrid transmission, 4x4, baby powerstroke diesel motor. It's a shame Ford killed off the diesel for 2022, nobody was ordering it and it was only around to compete with Fiat's EcoDiesel in the Ram 1500 which seems to get a lot of love. I tried to order it (just the motor, they wouldn't pair it with the hybrid stuff) for my '21 but it showed "Late Availability" so I went with 3.5 EB. Would get PB if I had to do it over again and the only reason I stayed away was because it was a first generation product. Time proved me wrong on that choice.
Sponsored