Sponsored

If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
yup. Just wait for cold Weather. Current working ranges (towing/heavy loads) will drop by half. A lot of electric owners in for a rude awakening if they try to do truck things in the winter.
And that's when they are not requested to refrain from charging them. To add to that with electricity rates skyrocketing as they are in some areas to use the rapid charge stations is almost equal to the cost of gasoline per mile.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I still want one.
And nothing that I have learned about them makes me want one less.

But admittedly, I'm a Ford Truck junkie and a 775ftlb version is NOT going to pass me by. 🤣

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I've been tempted to get the Livernois tune for the PB which would put it close to that, but really want to hold out for Torrie at Unleashed to get his out.

col

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
It is a hybrid lol. It literally drives on electric, gas, or a combination of both. Meets the definition.
No it's not. Coast in "electric" but try to actually drive (i.e., accelerate) even the slightest in electric and it kicks over to gas.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No it's not. Coast in "electric" but try to actually drive (i.e., accelerate) even the slightest in electric and it kicks over to gas.
Depends actually. If the SOC is high enough and your torque request is low enough, (~60Amps or less) it will stay in EV mode.

However, admittedly, 60Amps at 280ish volts is not much torque for acceleration of a 5500lb brick.
It IS enough torque to sustain velocity, but other than "mild" acceleration, uhuh. :)

Here's 35mph cruising. Flat ground. Requires ~20Amps in 7th gear.

Ford F-150 If you had to order again would you still get the PowerBoost motor? Screenshot_20221119-133141

Sponsored

mosoccer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Depends actually. If the SOC is high enough and your torque request is low enough, (~60Amps or less) it will stay in EV mode.

However, admittedly, 60Amps at 280ish volts is not much torque for acceleration of a 5500lb brick.
It IS enough torque to sustain velocity, but other than "mild" acceleration, uhuh. :)

Here's 35mph cruising. Flat ground. Requires ~20Amps in 7th gear.

Screenshot_20221119-133141.jpg
What are you using to get these stats?

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
That’s simply not true…I have 28,000 miles on my Powerboost. I tend to know how it works and I absolutely can accelerate for short bits or (the more efficient option) maintain speed on EV only and watch my mpg shoot up. It works like any other non plug-in hybrid. It’s not meant to drive around town to the grocery store in fully electric…

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are you using to get these stats?
I get asked that everytime I post a screenshot. :)
And I'm very pleased to spread the word....

OBDLink MX+ adapter
And in this case, the gauges are from the app by the same company that makes the adapter.

If you spend time and become intimate with those EV related PIDs, you can easily become predictive and participate in increasing the fuel efficiency of the Powerboost without being a hypermiler. (I enjoy the ~600lbs of torque too much to be a dedicated hypermiler :))

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Sounds like either your truck is not working properly; or your right foot. : )
My F-150 Prius can drive up four floors in a parking garage on electric … it requires "finesse" to guess just how much is there, but it's fun challenge (of sorts.)
I really wish Ford:
1) added an a "electric only" mode button, a "charge the battery to 100% and hold" button and a "gas power required" button (like most other hybrids.)
2) now that the Lightning is out and a success, Ford could (a) start building the '23 F-150 as a PHEV or at least up the battery to more like 30 kWh.
3) offer a retrofit kit for '21 and '22 PBs to "up" the battery to 5, 10, 20, 30 kWh (whatever is possible, and have a couple of sizes to hit different price points, plus make it easy to buy the 20 and then decide to add 10kWh, etc.) I think that would be an instant success who have a PB, need the range and towing the Lightning can't offer, and would, well, willingly if not happily, pay $10K to update to some serious battery reserves.

* p.s. for those of an engineering degree, of course upping the battery capacity could result in significant changes to cooling, may even impact crash testing (obviously the objective would be a kit that doesn't trigger the red tape merchants) and the motor duty cycle could well be quite limited, though I'm guessing it's in nearly continuous use in stop-n-go city traffic, so I'm optimistic it's designed to operate nearly continuously, and software can protect it from operating out of spec.)

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
I get asked that everytime I post a screenshot. :)
And I'm very pleased to spread the word....

OBDLink MX+ adapter
And in this case, the gauges are from the app by the same company that makes the adapter.

If you spend time and become intimate with those EV related PIDs, you can easily become predictive and participate in increasing the fuel efficiency of the Powerboost without being a hypermiler. (I enjoy the ~600lbs of torque too much to be a dedicated hypermiler :))
My OBDLink MX+ adapter arrived today. Now I've got some learning to do. Of course the first thing I want to do is set up gauges for the water temp and especially the tranny temp. Since I tow a lot, those are most important to me.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My OBDLink MX+ adapter arrived today. Now I've got some learning to do. Of course the first thing I want to do is set up gauges for the water temp and especially the tranny temp. Since I tow a lot, those are most important to me.
Once you have the app successfully connect to the adapter, you'll have those 2 gauges in seconds.
Sponsored