stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Platinum S Crew Powerboost
Howdy,
Upon removing rear wheel to rotate tires this washer/bolt assy fell out.
I'd been hearing a clickety-clack at low speeds for a couple of months.
Following rotation there's no more noise.
I would love to know what this is if anyone can ID.
Local dealer does not seem to know what it is either based on a verbal description.
Thanks for an help...
Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Do you have the max tow package?

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
@stonefly , you're looking at the broken axle end-bolt which is an issue specific and only to the Gen 14 Max Tow Package's 3/4-float axle. Note that the Max Tow Package is also a required option with the Heavy Duty Payload Package. This is not limited to the Powerboost, can and has also affected 3.5EB, 5.0 V8. and even the discontinued diesel with Max Tow Package.

None of this to be confused with any other tow package nor with the 2.7L V6 EcoBoost Payload Package. None of those use the 3/4-float axle.

Perhaps of interest is this post on another forum thread which is tracking occurrence of the failures.

Local dealer does not seem to know what it is either based on a verbal description.
Direct your dealer to the attached CSP issued by Ford for enlightenment; even if not in the specific VIN / date range of the CSP, they will be directed by Ford to replace your axle shaft+hub assembly where the bolt failed, covered under your 60k miles drivetrain warranty.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This fits mine given the little window sticker that says Dearborn, 2022 model.

I will ensure my service adviser becomes better informed.
I'm working on being diplomatic given they told me I didn't have a exhaust coolant leak and I had to revise their thinking on that.

Based on my read of CSP r22B34, this appears to "discretionary" given it's not a Safety Alert and if the truck hasn't yet failed, service can be deferred pending part availability.

I have a week before a planned trailer trip of 1500 miles. If the repair cannot be completed am I at risk of other faults with the wheel/hub/axle?
I see from the other forum thread that it was unclear if "safe to drive" or if there were convenience considerations for the dealers.

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Buyer2021: Thanks for the link and documents. You are top shelf, not mention so many others here and on the other F150 forum. There was a lot of data collected in that thread.

It appears the whole axle will be replaced based on update this afternoon. I was prepared to hear bad news about availability (as late as SEP 2023 for this and the wiper recall from what I read).
Pleasantly, the parts are expected this Thursday.
My local dealer seemed to give this CSP the same priority as a safety alert action.
Also getting wiper recall completed and replacing a leaking oil pressure sensor.
I will have to see about getting the front axle done, may not be able to do that until SEP or until failure whichever comes first.
Thanks all for the responses.
Paul

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I will have to see about getting the front axle done, may not be able to do that until SEP or until failure whichever comes first.
If thinking that in relation to this 3/4-float rear axle bolt failure issue, Don't; there's nothing similar about the front at all.

OP
OP
stonefly

stonefly

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
DUH...
I can only hope I would have realized that upon further reflection:LOL: