First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
Ok, I’ll try my best to explain. The truck is a new 2023 F-150 Platinum 5.0L with the max towing package. I purchased the Icon Stage 5 coil-over kit with the tubular UCAs from Stage 3 Motorsports and successfully installed it. Install was clean and straight-forward. Once complete, I cranked the coils to 2” of thread which resulted in approximately 2.5” of lift. First drive seemed ok until I got to a speed bump at about 15mph. The shocks went to full extension and it seemed as though the would break apart. This was repeated a few times. So at 2” of thread, there was less that 2” of droop. I went back and cranked the coils down to 1” of thread (1.5” lift). Rode great and did not hit hard on full extension. So, good ride, but only 1.5” of lift. Obviously I’m super disappointed in a $$$ lift of only 1.5”, I then purchased 0.5” spacers and installed then on top of the icons which resulted in 2” of lift. I think it’s a pretty crappy solution. Just seems to me that the Icon suspension that advertises at 0-2.75 ought to provide what they state.
I did call Stage 3 and they were a waste of time. Told me that it didn’t seem right and that I should call Icon. (Great after sale service right?). I’ve called icon for days, left messages, written to them via email and Q&A, but zero response. Buyer beware…

If any of you have run across this, what advice do you have?
Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Does ICON give any guidance on the thread length vs. expected lift? I know for Bilstein's a ~1/4" increase of the lower spring perch results in ~1/2" of lift height. Just wondering if there is a sweet spot where you can get your desired ride height without the excessive preload. Also, did you try adjusting the dampening on both the front and rear to see if that made any difference? I would also be upset if I spent that kind of money and the manufacturer didn't respond to my inquiries.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
Yes, I thinks it’s 4 turns per 1/4” and they ship with 1.75” on the threads. I found that the 1.75 topped out hard and to run 1” of thread to make the ride work.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Did you adjust the perch with the weight off the trucks front tires?

Did you torque fasteners at ride height?

Your coil overs shouldn’t do what you described even if there is too much preload.

Icons are also known for the issues you’re having; I.E preloading them to hell and back for their advertised lift heights

OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
Did you adjust the perch with the weight off the trucks front tires?

Did you torque fasteners at ride height?

Your coil overs shouldn’t do what you described even if there is too much preload.

Icons are also known for the issues you’re having; I.E preloading them to hell and back for their advertised lift heights
I did adjust the coils with the truck jacked up. All fasteners were torqued while jacked up. The driven for a mile or so before making any measurements.

Sponsored

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
Ok. So any urethane bushing involved with the install is fine….but anything you broke loose that is rubber/oem for the install bushing wise needs to be torqued at ride height.

Your suspension needs a few hundred miles before you think something is wonky…..unless it’s really bad, you’ll know right away. But lots noises can scare you until you settle into your stance, and get an alignment. If you need to go past where the coil overs are shipped at to get your desired ride height, you will hear some scary sounds once in a while (speed bumps) and also sacrifice down travel, particularly with Icon. They do not advertise their lift heights accurately, at least in my experience.

Definitely puts some miles on your truck, re check fasteners, and get it aligned with castor in the 3+ degree range, if possible.

OP
OP
Expat93

Expat93

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram, Denali, Ram, Ford
Occupation
None
Thank You, I’ll check back after week or so. No bushings loosened , just the poly on the new UCA.
Sponsored