Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Good afternoon members!

Now that we are here as one of the Sponsors we want to make sure were are here to help everyone out the best we can. Not just for parts but also for technical details and assistance. Since we have our own 2022 Tremor shop build we are able to get on our hands on different products as well as share our mindset of the build. And even if anyone has a different goal for their build we hope to be able to assist in any way possible.

Our Tremor build is an overland inspired build. Although the Tremor is more than capable from the factory to handle the outdoors, we couldn't possibly leave such a nice vehicle stock :) So the first thing we dug into was the suspension. A lot of you already know (or may not know) that there aren't too many Tremor "specific" kits out there currently. And even a lot of manufacturers state that kits do not fit on the Tremor model. But knowing what we knew in terms of other trim levels and the Tremor we had a hunch things could work out just fine. So we hit the ground running and went straight for the Icon CDCV 2.5 kit.

The install was just like any other install. Everything bolted up just fine. We did have to take a few extra steps for our specific build to make things work which we have highlighted in our write up. We then swapped out our UCA's which were the easiest UCA install we have ever done. Once all that was done, came the rear. Now for the rears we still used the Icon CDCV 2.5 shocks, but we wanted to swap out the leaf packs as well. As many of you may know, there are no Tremor specific leaf packs on the market. This was not something that just any ol' kit would work. We had to do some digging and make a few phone calls. The answer to our hopeful idea was the Icon RXT leaf packs for the 2nd Gen Raptors. From the specs of the pack they seemed to align with the Tremor OEM packs. We spoke to Icon and they mentioned the idea was being tested, but did not confirm fitment guarantees.

To our knowledge, we were the first shop to attempt this set up on a Tremor and to our joy, the kit worked. Everything fit as it should, but we did have to modify a few things. To start, we needed drop shackles. We knew this going into the build so we decided to install the MaxTrac shackles. Next we knew the OEM bump stops would end up being to short due to the new open space we had from the RXT's. So we swapped out the OEM ones for the Timbren SES Bump stop kit. All simple and easy bolt on products.

For those interested; we have a full write up on our website! Or you can follow the link below for more details. We also give some tips and tricks on how we went abut this specific install. You can use Icons install directions to get the install done, but we found a few snags that we tackled and addressed on the write up. Let us know what you think or if you have any questions! We've added a few images below after the install to show some of the items used.

Overall numbers before and after install:

Measurements:

Before

• Drivers Front: 22.5” Hub to Fender
  • Drivers Rear: 26 5/8” Hub to Fender
  • Passenger Front: 22 ¼" Hub to Fender
  • Passenger Rear: 27” Hub to Fender
After CDCV and RXT Leaf Pack Install

• Drivers Front: 24” Hub to Fender
  • Drivers Rear: 27”
  • Passenger Front: 24 3/8”
  • Passenger Rear: 27”
Full write up here: https://hotshotoffroad.com/blogs/builds/2022-f150-tremor-suspension-fitment-confirmed

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed A0C277E7-FE58-46E5-BD9D-8D2C42B1E956.JPG

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed A1CAD8C7-66B2-4A48-B70D-D7631D9106F3 2.JPG

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed IMG_1917 2.JPG

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed IMG_1477.JPG

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed IMG_1496

Ford F-150 Icon 2.5 CDCV and Raptor Leaf Pack Fitment Confirmed IMG_1519.JPG
Sponsored

eferg

First Name
Bulbasaur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Tremor
Occupation
Turtle farmer
What is the point of changing the leaf packs if it doesn't change the height? I would tend to believe that this also reduces the towing capacity. Are the G2 Raptor packs softer, with more progressive rate?

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
What is the point of changing the leaf packs if it doesn't change the height? I would tend to believe that this also reduces the towing capacity. Are the G2 Raptor packs softer, with more progressive rate?
To answer your question - YES. The Icon leaf packs referenced here are going to be slightly lighter than an OEM pack to allow for greater droop travel as well as better ride comfort (which is the big benefit to these). The other way in which they improve the ride comfort is the addition of more, lighter, individual leafs. The OEM pack is 3 leafs (maybe 4 but my memory isn't perfect) whereas the Icon one is 7 leafs. What that means for us is that each leaf can be more "ride comfort" compliant since it doesn't have to be quite as strong, and the deeper into the suspension cycle you get the more they engage.

If someone needs more payload and/or rear ride height included in the kits is an additional AAL that allows for a 20 or 40% increase in spring rate which leads to more lift as well as load carrying capacity.

All said, I wouldn't call these a "towing" leaf pack, and if you look at any Raptor on the road with a trailer attached you'll see that they get squatted pretty good. If you are trying to get the best of both worlds(ride comfort and towing capacity) here then I would recommend to run this pack with something like a Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) or potentially an Airbag setup with like Daystar cradles. They'll both limit maximum travel characteristics, but will support when they're needed.

Sponsored

CarsWalk

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Good afternoon members!

Now that we are here as one of the Sponsors we want to make sure were are here to help everyone out the best we can. Not just for parts but also for technical details and assistance. Since we have our own 2022 Tremor shop build we are able to get on our hands on different products as well as share our mindset of the build. And even if anyone has a different goal for their build we hope to be able to assist in any way possible.

Our Tremor build is an overland inspired build. Although the Tremor is more than capable from the factory to handle the outdoors, we couldn't possibly leave such a nice vehicle stock :) So the first thing we dug into was the suspension. A lot of you already know (or may not know) that there aren't too many Tremor "specific" kits out there currently. And even a lot of manufacturers state that kits do not fit on the Tremor model. But knowing what we knew in terms of other trim levels and the Tremor we had a hunch things could work out just fine. So we hit the ground running and went straight for the Icon CDCV 2.5 kit.

The install was just like any other install. Everything bolted up just fine. We did have to take a few extra steps for our specific build to make things work which we have highlighted in our write up. We then swapped out our UCA's which were the easiest UCA install we have ever done. Once all that was done, came the rear. Now for the rears we still used the Icon CDCV 2.5 shocks, but we wanted to swap out the leaf packs as well. As many of you may know, there are no Tremor specific leaf packs on the market. This was not something that just any ol' kit would work. We had to do some digging and make a few phone calls. The answer to our hopeful idea was the Icon RXT leaf packs for the 2nd Gen Raptors. From the specs of the pack they seemed to align with the Tremor OEM packs. We spoke to Icon and they mentioned the idea was being tested, but did not confirm fitment guarantees.

To our knowledge, we were the first shop to attempt this set up on a Tremor and to our joy, the kit worked. Everything fit as it should, but we did have to modify a few things. To start, we needed drop shackles. We knew this going into the build so we decided to install the MaxTrac shackles. Next we knew the OEM bump stops would end up being to short due to the new open space we had from the RXT's. So we swapped out the OEM ones for the Timbren SES Bump stop kit. All simple and easy bolt on products.

For those interested; we have a full write up on our website! Or you can follow the link below for more details. We also give some tips and tricks on how we went abut this specific install. You can use Icons install directions to get the install done, but we found a few snags that we tackled and addressed on the write up. Let us know what you think or if you have any questions! We've added a few images below after the install to show some of the items used.

Overall numbers before and after install:

Measurements:

Before

• Drivers Front: 22.5” Hub to Fender
  • Drivers Rear: 26 5/8” Hub to Fender
  • Passenger Front: 22 ¼" Hub to Fender
  • Passenger Rear: 27” Hub to Fender
After CDCV and RXT Leaf Pack Install

• Drivers Front: 24” Hub to Fender
  • Drivers Rear: 27”
  • Passenger Front: 24 3/8”
  • Passenger Rear: 27”
Full write up here: https://hotshotoffroad.com/blogs/builds/2022-f150-tremor-suspension-fitment-confirmed

A0C277E7-FE58-46E5-BD9D-8D2C42B1E956.JPG

A1CAD8C7-66B2-4A48-B70D-D7631D9106F3 2.JPG

IMG_1917 2.JPG

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1519.JPG
Hi, this is my first time doing something like this. I have a 2021 F150 FX4. I want to either do a level or lift to my truck. I’m leaning more towards a level because of the wear items that come with a lift. I’m leaning towards a suspension level rather than a puck level. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brands/models to use? I also tow a trailer quite often so I would like to do active suspension or air bags in the rear. Has anyone had experience with those? Looking for suggestions on power steps (OEM, Amp, RC). I would love to here what everyone has to say

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Hi, this is my first time doing something like this. I have a 2021 F150 FX4. I want to either do a level or lift to my truck. I’m leaning more towards a level because of the wear items that come with a lift. I’m leaning towards a suspension level rather than a puck level. Does anyone have any suggestions on what brands/models to use? I also tow a trailer quite often so I would like to do active suspension or air bags in the rear. Has anyone had experience with those? Looking for suggestions on power steps (OEM, Amp, RC). I would love to here what everyone has to say
Hello Carson! There's a lot to unpack here so I'll try to address things in pieces for you.

1) Level vs Lift - Either way that you tackle this you will still be dealing with wear items. The shock absorbers are going to be a wear item either way regardless of if you put a spacer on top or replace shocks altogether! I might be misunderstanding which wear items that you're referring to though so please let me know if there's something in particular that I am missing.

If your use case is one where you are a loaded vehicle or tow often as you've alluded to we are proponents of digressive shocks over here. That said, I would recommend that you look into something like the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. You have the ride comfort that you're looking for in combination with increased oil capacity to help avoid shock fade when loaded. We can also pre-assemble your shocks to your desired ride height. Take a look here, and let us know!
https://hotshotoffroad.com/products/6112-5160-stage-2-package-21-22-f-150-4wd

2) The RAS system is getting a lot of traction with our customers, and for good reason. They are effectively passive when unloaded, and provide support when you strap a load on! It's a win/win for a daily driver.
https://hotshotoffroad.com/products/active-suspension-kit-4wd-2021-f150

3) For power steps there's plenty of options as you know. I can let others chime in with their experiences, but we only have personal experience with OEM and AMP. Looking at the RC steps the only thing I am a little bit weary on is their sensors. AMP uses the OBD2 plug to determine if there is a door open whereas the RC ones use magnets and what I believe are proximity sensors to determine if a door is open. With proper install I am sure they are not a problem, but it just seems to be a little more complex on that front.

CarsWalk

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Hello Carson! There's a lot to unpack here so I'll try to address things in pieces for you.

1) Level vs Lift - Either way that you tackle this you will still be dealing with wear items. The shock absorbers are going to be a wear item either way regardless of if you put a spacer on top or replace shocks altogether! I might be misunderstanding which wear items that you're referring to though so please let me know if there's something in particular that I am missing.

If your use case is one where you are a loaded vehicle or tow often as you've alluded to we are proponents of digressive shocks over here. That said, I would recommend that you look into something like the Bilstein 6112/5160 combo. You have the ride comfort that you're looking for in combination with increased oil capacity to help avoid shock fade when loaded. We can also pre-assemble your shocks to your desired ride height. Take a look here, and let us know!
https://hotshotoffroad.com/products/6112-5160-stage-2-package-21-22-f-150-4wd

2) The RAS system is getting a lot of traction with our customers, and for good reason. They are effectively passive when unloaded, and provide support when you strap a load on! It's a win/win for a daily driver.
https://hotshotoffroad.com/products/active-suspension-kit-4wd-2021-f150

3) For power steps there's plenty of options as you know. I can let others chime in with their experiences, but we only have personal experience with OEM and AMP. Looking at the RC steps the only thing I am a little bit weary on is their sensors. AMP uses the OBD2 plug to determine if there is a door open whereas the RC ones use magnets and what I believe are proximity sensors to determine if a door is open. With proper install I am sure they are not a problem, but it just seems to be a little more complex on that front.
Thank you for the good information. My biggest concern with wear parts is ball joints, drive lines. I also don’t want to cut the frame to install the different cross members for a lift so I would need to stay under 3” correct? I have read that Icon makes amazing shocks but they do require frequent servicing. Is that the same way with the Bilstein shocks?

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Thank you for the good information. My biggest concern with wear parts is ball joints, drive lines. I also don’t want to cut the frame to install the different cross members for a lift so I would need to stay under 3” correct? I have read that Icon makes amazing shocks but they do require frequent servicing. Is that the same way with the Bilstein shocks?
Ah! Okay. So any lift or larger tires is going to put additional/different load onto components like ball joints, CV axles, etc. So yes, anything other than stock configuration is going to accelerate the wear interval than what Ford did their R&D on. That said, in my experience if you do things properly then you're not running up against a whole bunch of issues. I've run and worked on lifted trucks for years, and can't definitively say that we're replacing ball joints and the like at a much higher rate than what you would see on a stock truck. I've admittedly popped a few more CV axle boots on 3" lifted trucks due to the angles placed on the fins, but that's about it.

As for the service intervals - As you have read, Icon recommends service after about 40k miles. Bilstein shocks (aside from the 8000 series) are considered non-serviceable shocks. You can reasonably expect to get 80k out of them unless you're beating on them.

CarsWalk

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Ah! Okay. So any lift or larger tires is going to put additional/different load onto components like ball joints, CV axles, etc. So yes, anything other than stock configuration is going to accelerate the wear interval than what Ford did their R&D on. That said, in my experience if you do things properly then you're not running up against a whole bunch of issues. I've run and worked on lifted trucks for years, and can't definitively say that we're replacing ball joints and the like at a much higher rate than what you would see on a stock truck. I've admittedly popped a few more CV axle boots on 3" lifted trucks due to the angles placed on the fins, but that's about it.

As for the service intervals - As you have read, Icon recommends service after about 40k miles. Bilstein shocks (aside from the 8000 series) are considered non-serviceable shocks. You can reasonably expect to get 80k out of them unless you're beating on them.
Very good to know. Do you suggest the RAS over air bags? I see on your website you can get the Bilstein front shocks shipped assembled, what height are those set to? If i were to do a 2.5” level would you suggest dropping the front dif so that there isn’t wear on the CV’s? Does Bilstein offer a front shock with reservoir for my truck?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Very good to know. Do you suggest the RAS over air bags? I see on your website you can get the Bilstein front shocks shipped assembled, what height are those set to? If i were to do a 2.5” level would you suggest dropping the front dif so that there isn’t wear on the CV’s? Does Bilstein offer a front shock with reservoir for my truck?
Comparing RAS to airbags it comes down to how much weight you're carrying. Are you the kind to only load up to your manu stated GVWR? If so, then the RAS will work swimmingly. If you're the kind to load up a half-ton as if it were a diesel then you'll definitely need to run bags. It's kind of a "how do you use your truck" kind of question. If you're hooking up an appropriately-sized trailer or loading up the bed then the RAS will work very well and not impact your ride when unloaded.

If you go all the way up to the 2.5" setting you'll be introducing a couple of items to consider. First is going to be your UCAs. Your OEM UCA will generally only get you back into spec at 2". Anything above that will require a new UCA to get your alignment right. It's not a problem, but something to consider!

As for a diff drop - We generally don't find them necessary on most vehicles unless you go all the way up to 3". Can you get one? Sure, and you can call it cheap insurance. However, in many cases it actually ends up just tipping the pinion down and moves oil away from the pinion gear in the spirit of supporting the CV axles. At 2.5" I wouldn't say that you need one.

Bilstein unfortunately doesn't make a front reservoir shock for your truck. The 6112 is the biggest they go for your truck. At least for now.

CarsWalk

First Name
Carson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Comparing RAS to airbags it comes down to how much weight you're carrying. Are you the kind to only load up to your manu stated GVWR? If so, then the RAS will work swimmingly. If you're the kind to load up a half-ton as if it were a diesel then you'll definitely need to run bags. It's kind of a "how do you use your truck" kind of question. If you're hooking up an appropriately-sized trailer or loading up the bed then the RAS will work very well and not impact your ride when unloaded.

If you go all the way up to the 2.5" setting you'll be introducing a couple of items to consider. First is going to be your UCAs. Your OEM UCA will generally only get you back into spec at 2". Anything above that will require a new UCA to get your alignment right. It's not a problem, but something to consider!

As for a diff drop - We generally don't find them necessary on most vehicles unless you go all the way up to 3". Can you get one? Sure, and you can call it cheap insurance. However, in many cases it actually ends up just tipping the pinion down and moves oil away from the pinion gear in the spirit of supporting the CV axles. At 2.5" I wouldn't say that you need one.

Bilstein unfortunately doesn't make a front reservoir shock for your truck. The 6112 is the biggest they go for your truck. At least for now.
Ok with that said, do you have any suggestions for control arms?

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Ok with that said, do you have any suggestions for control arms?
We like and run both Icon and SPC. Icons on the Tremor and SPC on our shop Tundra. The nice thing about the SPCs is that they have very granular adjustability which makes things nice when you want to pinpoint your alignment and where your wheel sits in the wheel well. We like the Icons as well, but you just have to make sure to grease the bushings up really well! There's a bunch of different options out there though. UCAs are truly not rocket science. Just a tool to get things back to where they should be!

https://hotshotoffroad.com/collections/2021-f-150-upper-control-arms

9663mu

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Iconic F150
As some one who has Icons Control arms , the sqeaking is terrible. Yes I grease the hell out of them. Truck lifted and not lifted. I would never purchase the icons again. Thank you for info on the other brand. I will take a look

OP
OP
Hotshot Offroad

Hotshot Offroad

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Derrick and Colton
Threads
Reaction score
Website
hotshotoffroad.com
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
As some one who has Icons Control arms , the sqeaking is terrible. Yes I grease the hell out of them. Truck lifted and not lifted. I would never purchase the icons again. Thank you for info on the other brand. I will take a look
Yeah we've never experienced noise with the SPCs, and we have had squeaking on some Icon stuff. Our favorite flavor of grease is something like a red & tacky, and we make sure to grease both sides of the bushings as well as over-doing it on the sleeve upon install and have pretty good luck. Personally never had a single noise with un-conditioned SPCs though.
Sponsored