• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I will most likely cancel my reservation, I refuse to pay MSRP + ADM at Koon’s Ford

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
FordLightning

FordLightning

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Deposit on Ford Lightning
Fair enough, Koon’s Ford has chosen to hurt their reputation over $500 (keep in mind this is the minimum they want to take advantage of me, no assurances otherwise). I did try to engage one of the great dealers (PA) offering fair prices within 2 hours of my house, but Ford told them they are limiting allocation and preventing them from accepting my order. I also stopped by another local dealer yesterday (Bob Bell Ford), but they were just as vague, and Apple Ford said there would be no assurances.

So, my 3 closest Ford dealers are not willing to agree on terms (markup, ADM, X-plan if available). This seems like a reasonable request, but I am not going to move my reservation to a different dealer if I don’t know if they will do the same thing!

So even though I am excited about the Lightning and it will be the first Ford owned since a Ford Contour or previous gen Bronco, I will bail. Principle…I don’t like or trust the dealer (who I never met, but I did try to resolve through an email and 2 phone calls), and I don’t like or trust how Ford is handling this issue. Let me get my reservation through the dealer of my choice!

This is simply a fun vehicle for me…my other vehicles on short list were (Ford Maverick, Mach-e (which are now also excluded), Range Rover Defender, Rivian, BMW 3 series, or Audi (electric or A4). The frustration is I have been talking up the Lightning with my wife for the last few months, with the biggest concern of whether it will fit in my garage. My friend just picked up a slightly used BMW M4 Competition for $65K, that could also work.…about the same money. Daughter is inheriting my car within the next year, so time is on my side.

My other frustration; I didn’t hedge my bets like others and make pre-orders on multiple brands.
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler Rubicon and 2018 Mini Cooper S Count
Occupation
overpaid computer nerd.
It would be one thing…if demand was high and prices were raised over time, or new reservations went for additional…however, I placed my reservation within 24 hours of launch.
This will all continue until state franchise laws are changed so that OEMs can DICTATE the price, instead of suggesting it. The only alternative is direct sales. Those same franchise laws prevent that as well.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Here is my biggest gripe with ADM, you can’t and won’t get it back. See dealers think they are slick, “you’ll get it back on you tax return, state incentives”.

But try to sell them the vehicle back “youre negative about $15k, these vehicles just aren’t selling”

The other thing is Ford should not be counting Reservations against a dealers regular allotment. This is what drives dealers to get ordering customers from taking delivery.

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Here is my biggest gripe with ADM, you can’t and won’t get it back. See dealers think they are slick, “you’ll get it back on you tax return, state incentives”.

But try to sell them the vehicle back “youre negative about $15k, these vehicles just aren’t selling”

The other thing is Ford should not be counting Reservations against a dealers regular allotment. This is what drives dealers to get ordering customers from taking delivery.
It's a shame that different Ford dealers do business so radically different from each other.

All because each Ford dealer is an independently owned & operated business that is allowed to charge what they want. Remember a Ford dealer is not a Ford owned franchise where Ford can dictate pricing, etc..

OP, I'd suggest a further radius scan outside your area for an honest dealer that does not place ADM.

In my situation, I had to pass by 9 Los Angeles Ford dealers closer to me and find one 45 minutes away in a different county to find one that won't charge ADM.

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
This was the original concept with the Bronco reservation system with the additional statement that no units would be available for dealer sale until all reservations were filled. The dealers organized and revolted causing Ford to backtrack and establish an allocation model that screwed the consumer.

Edit: I also need to point out the some dealerships were also screwed by this change and sadly these were generally the honest and upfront dealers offering a discount in order to generate volume sales.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The question is if a dealer that promised no ADM, gets greedy and change their mind, what is our recourse and at which point it is too late and we have lost control? When the truck is physically at the dealer? When VIN is assigned? ……? Up to which point we can redirect the truck to an honest dealer?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
The question is if a dealer that promised no ADM, gets greedy and change their mind, what is our recourse and at which point it is too late and we have lost control? When the truck is physically at the dealer? When VIN is assigned? ……? Up to which point we can redirect the truck to an honest dealer?
It's my understanding that once you place the order with the dealer, it is assigned to that dealer and cannot be moved. It's possible Ford could be willing to help someone out who moves or something like that on a case by case basis but there's no assurance. Ford corporate has however helped out some customers who had a dealer pull some shenanigans and Ford was able to get another order placed at another dealer and prioritized. However, the unscrupulous dealer still got to sell a vehicle at a significant markup to some sucker with too much money and too little patience.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It's my understanding that once you place the order with the dealer, it is assigned to that dealer and cannot be moved. It's possible Ford could be willing to help someone out who moves or something like that on a case by case basis but there's no assurance. Ford corporate has however helped out some customers who had a dealer pull some shenanigans and Ford was able to get another order placed at another dealer and prioritized. However, the unscrupulous dealer still got to sell a vehicle at a significant markup to some sucker with too much money and too little patience.
Do you think that means it is better to order online when it opens for that reason? To have the ball in our court longer and go through the dealer when our number is up?

With apologies if the question sound stupid. I have never done this before.

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Do you think that means it is better to order online when it opens for that reason? To have the ball in our court longer and go through the dealer when our number is up?

I believe that when you place your order online it is going to be sent to the dealership to finalize/accept and actually go into the order system.
The online order will save you time and make it so you don't have to actually go to the dealership, but I don't think that it is necessarily going to 'keep the ball in your court' longer than actually going in to the dealer to order.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager

I don't think it matters either way - once you put in an order (at the dealer or online), you are locked in to the dealer you selected.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
By the way on the Virginia side folks have been getting mixed messages from Ted Britt. Some employees say yes dealer markup and others no. Nothing in writing.

PandaSlash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 Kia Optima, '22 Lightning (Reserved)
I’m very frustrated since I reserved the Lightning back in May and Koon’s Ford in Annapolis, Maryland is insisting on at least $500 ADM and no commitment on terms; other local dealers seem just as slimey. If Ford won’t let me switch to an honest dealer I will bail and switch to another brand.
I cancelled my reservation due to time considerations but try out Bob Davidson Ford in Parkville, MD. Apple Ford never emailed me back with any statement and koons Ford Baltimore never gave me a concrete answer about MSRP.

A little further out from you and it seems like it’s smaller so I think their allocation might be smaller. In any case I was told by the sales GM, Blake Schindler, that they would be selling the Lightning’s at MSRP and would require a $500 deposit (but in financial hardship he would give it back). I can DM you his email if you’d like.

edit: I haven’t browsed on this forum since I Cancelled, but there was a whole thread at one point about dealers in MD. Here’s a link to it about some dealers in Baltimore area…
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/dealers-not-charging-deposits.5395/

Last edited:

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
I switched from Malloy in Winchester to Jerry's in leesburg. I think I am going to switch again. But Koons and all the metro dealers love markups.

When I was shopping for the powerboost, everybody, koons and all metro DC dealers... ALL were at least 5000 over. Mallow wasn't. I don't think Jerry's played that game either.

Koons is the worst with jacking up a price. Leave them. Try someone else before you bail on your reservation. I may even be switching back to Malloy in Winchester because I am not sure if Jerry's is going to try to play that BS either.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I switched from Malloy in Winchester to Jerry's in leesburg. I think I am going to switch again. But Koons and all the metro dealers love markups.

When I was shopping for the powerboost, everybody, koons and all metro DC dealers... ALL were at least 5000 over. Mallow wasn't. I don't think Jerry's played that game either.

Koons is the worst with jacking up a price. Leave them. Try someone else before you bail on your reservation. I may even be switching back to Malloy in Winchester because I am not sure if Jerry's is going to try to play that BS either.
What about Malloy in Annandale/Alexandria at the old Jerry’s Ford location?

Trukbed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat Powerboost FX4
What about Malloy in Annandale/Alexandria at the old Jerry’s Ford location?
If I did Malloy again I think I'd just stick with staying out in the countryside. I'm in leesburg. But OP should totally try that one if it's convenient for him
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.