• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and...

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Pro move - only use Walmart bikes. You can get them on clearance for like $50.

My current bike is a used Schwinn from Walmart I picked up for $25 at a yard sale. Been using it for years
Now that I've had a decently priced bike for years, I can't go back to the box store bikes. I'd rather risk it with my $400 bike, lol.
Sponsored

OP
OP

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
And once you have a $3500 bike you'll never go back to a $400 bike :)

There are some videos of guys riding Walmart bikes at bike parks. Hope your health insurance is good.

OP
OP

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
The most secure solution I recommended to you was to use a tonneau cover because that both hardens the target and hides the goods.
To be clear, I lock them up in the cabin to each other and then to something else-- like a seat. Yes they could break into the cabin, but unless they have time to defeat a couple u locks and a master lock+the heaviest chain i could find, they'll have to drag a cumbersome lump of bikes and a 150 lbs seat into the bed of their getaway truck.

I never had a bed cover so didn't think about that.

Major issue with storing bikes inside a Lariat is that my wife will complain about grease and mud.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
I like the center console shifter. Really dislike column shifter. IMO column shifter is vague on selection points and gets in the way of dash controls. Console shifter gives me a place to put my hand, more visible where selection points are, and way more intuitive.

The whole point of folding it down is to get it out of the way, and to allow the work surface, lol. Which, BTW, is a must-have for me, especially on the lightning: if I'm going to be making 30-minute charging stops, this will be tremendously useful. Despite being essentially an electronic switch, Ford kept the console shifter because that's most people's preference.

Have you seen the hate the Ram dial gets? LOL, no way Ford is putting that in their trucks. If anything they have to have something different to market at least.

All preference, for sure. But I like their choices for the lightning :)
And Ford has the dial in the Expedition and Fusion.

Sponsored

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
Great video of six different F150 Lightning models in the wild in California, at a charge station in a Walmart parking lot.

Interior and exterior shots plus some touchscreen 12" vs 15.5" exploration. IMHO kind of sluggish touchscreen operations.

Maljr1980

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
Project Manager
To be clear, I lock them up in the cabin to each other and then to something else-- like a seat. Yes they could break into the cabin, but unless they have time to defeat a couple u locks and a master lock+the heaviest chain i could find, they'll have to drag a cumbersome lump of bikes and a 150 lbs seat into the bed of their getaway truck.

I never had a bed cover so didn't think about that.

Major issue with storing bikes inside a Lariat is that my wife will complain about grease and mud.
I’m sure an 18v Milwaukee grinder or portaband will make quick work of that chain

Doughecka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302a PowerBoost, 6.5bed, Max Tow
Now the XLT had a column shifter on it, which had me do a double take since I haven't seen one since 1998. I don't mind it and would also prefer it to something that gets charging cables tangled around it, gets in the way of putting something down in the center... the whole fold out work space is a gimmick only cuz that shifter is in the way...
The XLT offered a front bench type seat, so a column shifter makes sense.

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)
2) The 12" infotainment system is totally sufficient. I've test driven a Mach E and the big screen is nice (even if you hate the look of it on the dash), but having knobs in the 12" format is nice also. Toss up for me. I can't imagine the 12" feeling too small in a few years either. My Transit has a small screen and I knew from day 1 it would be stupid small in a couple years but what can you do... not getting easier as my close in eyesight isn't improving w/ age either.
There's another important difference. That small screen runs on Sync4, which is an upgraded version of Sync3. It has much less advanced technology and will become outdated much faster than the Sync4A in the Lariats with the 15.5" screen. If you want to get a feel for what that technology is like, test drive a Mustang Mach E. The Lightning will have significant enhancements beyond what the Mach E has, too.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
There's another important difference. That small screen runs on Sync4, which is an upgraded version of Sync3. It has much less advanced technology and will become outdated much faster than the Sync4A in the Lariats with the 15.5" screen. If you want to get a feel for what that technology is like, test drive a Mustang Mach E. The Lightning will have significant enhancements beyond what the Mach E has, too.
Hmm, Not!
https://www.ford.com/support/how-to...is-the-difference-between-sync-4-and-sync-4a/

There are a couple of main features of SYNC 4A that distinguish it from SYNC 4:​
  • Adaptive Dash Cards
  • Automatic placement of frequently used dash items at the top of the screen
That's it! If you don't count the space occupied by the dash cards, the 15" screen is actually 13", so not that different in size from 12".

Sponsored

shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I would suppose many prospective Lariat owners like myself were counting on the $12500 tax credit. Now, even an XLT will be a swallow hard moment when I push the confirm button the order.
As far as the shifter goes.... rotary dial on the dash for a clean sheet design.

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VE Jetta, Chrysler Pacifica
Occupation
Family Physician
Ford F-150 Lightning I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and... 16EB6AB0-4DB6-4FD2-942C-54168CC7D622
Ford F-150 Lightning I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and... 19C7418D-D559-4DA0-AFF0-BA4F364F9A65
Ford F-150 Lightning I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and... 7DC86B03-2FE3-49CC-8A3C-5B5221288D66
Ford F-150 Lightning I went and sat in an XLT and Lariat for the first time and... F4B8F9BB-BCA5-418D-94FA-19F7B0CCD447

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Family Physician
Something to consider are the color options. The Smoked Quartz and Star White seem to only be in the Lariat and Platinum. There may be other color limitations as well. I love the smoked quartz(metallic shark skin would be a better name in my opinion ?) so it just helps confirm the Lariat decision.

midmack

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Family Physician
1. Smoke quartz
2. AMB: beautiful but too black for me
3. Rapid red: great color but I don’t love it with the Lariat trim. Platinum would look nice.
3. Iconic silver: underrated. Will look awesome with the XLT and Lariat trims with the carbonized gray accents. My #2

sysop

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F150 Lariat 145 - 2022 F150 Lariat 157
Occupation
worker bee
Console shifters are nice for those that like spending $700 on $50 worth of plastic and making their truck less usable (losing a passenger seat).

?
Sponsored

Reactions: JDD