First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
So to get the questions out of the way, the truck was built in February, I took delivery on March, so it most definitely has the Auto stop start feature. I drive on Econ mode, and the button to turn it off its not activated.

About a month ago, I noticed that the Auto start stop feature seemed to not work, whenever I stopped at a red light in the city it just doesnt shut off in places where it used to. I hit about 6 traffic lights on my way from the gym and the truck used to shut off about 80% of the time I stopped at a red light. For the last month though it just hasn't. In the last 3 weeks I have experienced the auto start stop once.

I think my auto start stop is oofed, or maybe I just suck at stopping? I am a very defensive driver and like to roll to a stop and not break heard at all.
Sponsored

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
How's the weather where you're at? I swear I recall reading that if the truck needs to stay on to maintain cabin temps, it will.
huh, it has definitely been getting colder but nothing out of the ordinary. Maybe low 60s at the coldest? 4/6 of the traffic lights do happen within 1/8th of a mile from the parking.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Go through the menus in the driver information display in the cluster - there is an auto stop/start status screen in there that will tell you why it is not activating

AgieF150

First Name
Rakesh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 & 22F150 limited, 21 Ram 1500 limited EcoDiesel
If engine is not warm enough, auto stop/start will not get activated.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 KR SQ 4X4 PB
Occupation
Retired Army
My 2018 would do the same thing and it was low battery charge. It usually happened when I didn’t drive it but 2 or 3 times a week.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Go through the menus in the driver information display in the cluster - there is an auto stop/start status screen in there that will tell you why it is not activating
Huh, I didnt realize there was one, thanks!

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I'm not taking my foot off the brake and trusting a Ford computer to keep it's schitt together. Will insurance fix your truck for free after you rear-end somebody?

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
I'm not taking my foot off the brake and trusting a Ford computer to keep it's schitt together. Will insurance fix your truck for free after you rear-end somebody?
Oh, I wasnt talking about the Auto-hold feature. The auto stop is where your truck turns off at a red light

Sponsored

Di2

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, 2012 Challenger R/T Classic 5.7
Occupation
Retired
I was having the same issue on the 3rd day of ownership. I sat and talked with the service manager about the issue. Here are 16 situations when start/stop will not work (he gave me a list). Low temperature outside, engine not warmed up/low coolant temp, A/C on, low battery charge, too many stops in a short amount of time (stop-and-go), window defrost on, on a steep grade, elevation above 11,000 feet, trailer is connected, in 4H or 4L, in manual shift, must exceed 3mph after engine starts, open door, brake vacuum low, having steering wheel turned sharply.
I was not experiencing any of these circumstances, and he thought the battery may be the culprit. He had the battery tested, and it was fine.
Right after that, start/stop has worked every time (3 weeks). This includes morning drives when it is about 37 outside, and the truck is definitely not warmed up.
I'm keeping an eye on this, but it has been good for a while now. Strange.

OP
OP
ZWARRIOR

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
I was having the same issue on the 3rd day of ownership. I sat and talked with the service manager about the issue. Here are 16 situations when start/stop will not work (he gave me a list). Low temperature outside, engine not warmed up/low coolant temp, A/C on, low battery charge, too many stops in a short amount of time (stop-and-go), window defrost on, on a steep grade, elevation above 11,000 feet, trailer is connected, in 4H or 4L, in manual shift, must exceed 3mph after engine starts, open door, brake vacuum low, having steering wheel turned sharply.
I was not experiencing any of these circumstances, and he thought the battery may be the culprit. He had the battery tested, and it was fine.
Right after that, start/stop has worked every time (3 weeks). This includes morning drives when it is about 37 outside, and the truck is definitely not warmed up.
I'm keeping an eye on this, but it has been good for a while now. Strange.
I tried the suggestion Oxford_powerboost mentioned and going into the "Start stop" screen and I see that it says "vehicle on due to charging vehicle" I suspect that my dashcam is the culprit. My dashcam is hardwired and always on overnight. So I think that its keeping my battery low. I can still start the vehicle but I think thats the culprit. Kind of strange though, after 20 minutes of driving I still get the same message. So either my dashcam is killing my battery of maybe my alternator is not great?

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
Mine had stopped working for several month and just recently decided to get with the program all on it's own. Weird truck....other things don't work all the time either, such as the power tailgate and the front windows. Left has bounce back and right didn't want to roll up on it's own without holding the switch.

Rickam

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021F150KingRanch71 Mach179MarkV63GalaxieXL
Occupation
Retired
So to get the questions out of the way, the truck was built in February, I took delivery on March, so it most definitely has the Auto stop start feature. I drive on Econ mode, and the button to turn it off its not activated.

About a month ago, I noticed that the Auto start stop feature seemed to not work, whenever I stopped at a red light in the city it just doesnt shut off in places where it used to. I hit about 6 traffic lights on my way from the gym and the truck used to shut off about 80% of the time I stopped at a red light. For the last month though it just hasn't. In the last 3 weeks I have experienced the auto start stop once.

I think my auto start stop is oofed, or maybe I just suck at stopping? I am a very defensive driver and like to roll to a stop and not break heard at all.
I have had the same thing happened on my 2021 king ranch. Randomly it works I’m not complaining because I didn’t like this feature anyway.
Sponsored