I might be "THAT guy"...

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 XLT Sport 2.7EB SCrew 302A High
You know, the one that gets referenced frequently on these threads…. The "weekend warrior" idiot pulling a camper with absolutely no idea what he's doing. Yup, that might be me. I've come to the realization that I've been severely (and arguably, dangerously) underestimating the importance of towing properly, so I'm putting myself out here to hopefully get sorted out (and take any abuse I deserve in the process).

To be fair, I've towed often through the years, but nothing of any considerable weight or size. I've pulled & launched boats from 12' to 30' (using others' trucks), and the occasional utility trailers ranging from 8' to 15' using multiple vehicles. The only "regular" tows I've owned prior to a few years ago were a couple of 16' pop-up campers, neither of which ever gave me any issues. I've towed those with the F150, a Pathfinder, and even at one point - a Ford Escape!

So a few years back, we upgraded our rig to a 24' hybrid-style conventional camper. At the time, I had a 2018 XLT 4x4 with trailer tow package. The entirety of my towing "prep" consisted of adjusting the hitch drop and installing/calibrating a brake controller. I'm now in a 2021 with identical specs (XLT, 2.7eco, trailer tow pkg, 3.55 ratio, 4x4), and pulling the same 24' camper. Since diving into these forums and seeing all the discussions regarding payload/tow capacities, weight distribution, sway control, etc., I'm reluctantly realizing how little I REALLY know about what I'm doing when I hook this thing up!

Now here's the rub: In my perception, I've don't have any towing "issues". 95% of our trips with the camper are within 100mi, with only a handful in the 300mi range. I'm a relatively conservative driver to begin with, and I'm damn-near neurotic when it comes to driving as safely as possible with the camper in tow. I've not had any complaints at all in terms of acceleration/stopping, excessive sway, or control when towing. I rarely break 65mph when pulling the camper, and make it a point to drive excessively (or 'annoyingly', according to my wife) cautiously when towing. The ONLY noticeable behavior I've found when towing with my current/previous F150 is a bit of "bounce" felt after a dip or bump on the road.

I'm equally confused and embarrassed at how the use of weight distribution systems/sway control devices and tongue weight calculations just seem to be "common knowledge" among most of the users here. What's worse is that the more research I do, the more I'm wincing at how little I actually know about towing safety procedures!!! Other than tire/axle/bearing maintenance of the trailer itself, I honestly have never concerned myself with anything other than keeping the camper level, keeping any interior cargo above the axles, and not driving like an idiot.

Given the variables above, I suppose my question is: what should I be doing to ensure I'm towing properly and safely? The immediate questions that come to mind include (but certainly are not limited to):

1. Do I need a weight distribution mechanism?
  2. How exactly do I calculate tongue weight?
  3. Is sway control something I should consider if I don't necessarily feel sway is an issue when driving? Would this be redundant considering the truck's integrated anti-sway system?
  4. Are there any signs of overload/imbalance that I should be monitoring for (perhaps I've simply 'missed' evidence of improper towing in the past)

I've been picking the brains of guys I know personally that tow frequently (daily in some cases); everything from landscape flatbeds to 50' fifth-wheels. The responses have been all over the place. I even talked to one guy with the most elaborate hitch setup I've ever seen - but couldn't really explain a thing about it. "It's what the RV dealer said I needed" was the extent of the info he offered.

Obviously, my RV dealer was pretty lax on the towing requirements lol…. I guess before I ramble on any more, I'll just throw these specs out and thank you guys in advance for any insight you can offer…

My Truck:
'21 F150 XLT SCrew, 2.7eco, 4x4, Trailer Tow pkg, 302A High, 3.55 ratio

My Trailer:
24' Conventional dual-axle w/ electric drum brakes (Exterior: L=24'10", H=10'3", W=8'6")
Axle weight: 3635 lbs
Dry "hitch weight": 630 lbs
Dry weight: 4265 lbs
Payload capacity: 1840 lbs
GVWR: 6000 lbs
"Hitch weight": 660 lbs

*as for camper payload, I'd estimate there's approximately 200-300lbs of our "crap" that resides in the trailer, less on return trips (when the cooler/fridge are empty lol). This is also considering all holding tanks are empty, as I have only used the (40 gal) fresh water holding tank once.

*any interior cargo is deliberately kept as close to the trailer axles as possible.

*truck payload can vary trip-to-trip, but rarely exceeds 100-200lbs. An exception to this rule is when I occasionally pick up a load of firewood before setting up at our regular destination, but it's only 1.5 miles between the pickup and the campsite. I myself flutter around the 200-215lb range, and most often end up towing alone; potentially there could be an additional 200-300lbs combination of kid(s)/spouse/dog in the cab.
Sponsored

Waxer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum 4x4, Star White
A good start is the VIN# generated towing calculator that has been linked on this board within the last few weeks. It was popular, so should be easy to find. With your VIN# in hand, that will bring up a calculator where you can input your pertinent details and it will let you know where you fall on the safety scale for your particular truck. Beyond that, there is a crazy amount of information out there and I have found that I just have to sift through it.

Found it here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/post-42463

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
A good start is the VIN# generated towing calculator that has been linked on this board within the last few weeks. It was popular, so should be easy to find. With your VIN# in hand, that will bring up a calculator where you can input your pertinent details and it will let you know where you fall on the safety scale for your particular truck. Beyond that, there is a crazy amount of information out there and I have found that I just have to sift through it.

Found it here: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/tow-package-breakdown-for-2021-f-150.698/post-42463
Just for the sake of ease:

https://fordfleetlive.com/#/VinCalculator

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Few things:

First, I *think* the 2.7L is limited to something like 7k towing capacity? I don't remember exactly, but you cannot get max tow, only a payload package. I don't know what the limiter is (weakest link in the system) that dictates that 7k though. But I think you are basically right near your limits, but under.

Second, you definitely need a WDH! I think that I read somewhere that tongue weight >500# is supposed to use a WDH and you are at that with the dry hitch weight. But specs aside, you will feel a MUCH better ride! That "bounce" you feel on dips or humps can lead to porpoising and be pretty dangerous. A WDH will limit that and make it a lot smoother for you!

Third, regarding sway: Yes definitely get a WDH with built in sway control! You can get away with no sway control until you do hit it and it's too late. I have yet to experience control issues but I have only been in 28mph winds as my worst case. My understanding is that the truck sway control is like a "best effort" to slow you down and try to correct if the trailer pulls you due to wind. The sway control in the hitch uses friction to try to make it harder to sway in the first place. Whether they work together in a complimentary fashion I heard is debatable, but it is better to have it built into the hitch.

Fourth, regarding payload: I don't know what your sticker says and I'm not too familiar with 2.7L payloads (I don't see them really shared since the 2.7's aren't typically bought for towing). As someone that has exceeded my payload on some shorter trips, I can say the truck and driving will all feel fine. As long as you know the liability and risks, I am not going to police anyone. But it is good to know HOW MUCH risk and stress you are putting on your truck! I got a sherline tongue scale and I started at 12.5% and redistributed and removed some weight and am a shade under 12% now. Your tongue will be somewhere between 10-15% of the actual weight but there is no way to know until you weigh it. And when you add a WDH, 2/3 of its weight will go into the truck's payload, 1/3 on the trailer.

Good luck and happy camping!

CBGray

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Lariat 2.7L EB Screw 4x4 501A
Occupation
Software
This was my 2021 2.7L and me just playing around with towing my tin boat. Obviously, OP would need to punch values in for their needs, but sharing as general FYI.

Ford F-150 I might be "THAT guy"... Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 1.44.57 PM

Sponsored

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
This was my 5L playing around with towing his tin boat. lol

Ford F-150 I might be "THAT guy"... Untitled23

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
I love when people own up to being 'that guy'!

I don't have anything else to add.

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. The big factors are tongue weight, and weight distribution throughout your trailer (Don't have more weight behind the axle(s) than in front). Keeping the trailer level is another thing to try for. Below is how my truck will look here soon (Waiting on the 1,000 mile break-in). This will be a tilt back steel flatbed with our skid steer on it. Our mini excavator will be close to this as well, about 9,500 pounds or so. I have pulled similar weights in other vehicles ranging from 1 ton cargo vans to other 150/1500 trucks, and it isn't something I would want to do every day with a half ton truck. BUT, occasionally, it is very doable/allowable.
Ford F-150 I might be "THAT guy"... F150 Towin

Weight distribution hitch is recommended for any trailer over 5,000 pounds or 500 lbs tongue weight, IIRC. Sway control is a plus.

Moz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 502a 3.5l Ecoboost Avalanche
...somewhere between 10-15% of the actual weight but there is no way to know until you weigh it. And when you add a WDH, 2/3 of its weight will go into the truck's payload, 1/3 on the trailer.

Good luck and happy camping!

Does this mean if true tongue weight was 600lbs, with a WDH youre hit to payload is 400?

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks guys - I appreciate the feedback!

I actually had used the calculator previously, but again - I'm not 100% sure exactly what to do with the returned values. It offers confirmation that I'm within the limits of my truck's towing specs, but the tongue weight remains somewhat of a mystery to me.

The input values below are conservative; I've toyed around with a number of payload/cargo numbers. The 10-15% tongue weight calculation is pretty obvious... what's less so is what exactly do I DO with that value? Since the tongue weight percentage is adjustable, it stands to reason the value is a suggested value (what I NEED). So, if I'm understanding it correctly, the million-dollar question is "how do I measure/adjust tongue weight????". Comments above, and on other threads, suggest to simply "weigh it"... I do NOT intend to sound sarcastic here, but how the heck does one weigh a vehicle/trailer in ANY capacity, let alone specific areas of them?

Ford F-150 I might be "THAT guy"... payload copy

I did order a wdh with a friction sway control bar. The reasonable cost and overwhelming consensus that it's a sound addition were enough to convince me it's a worthy investment. I also appreciate those who have pointed out that just because I haven't recognized sway as a noticeable issue doesn't mean there isn't a benefit and/or less potential for running into an "oh crap" situation in the future. I've done quite a bit of research on the installation/configuration of the WDH, and the concept & procedure seem clear. The only caveat I foresee is that since my driveway has a 5-6 degree grade, I'll need to move the trailer for installation (no biggie).

I'm eager to see what type of improvement the weight distribution and sway bar yields, although it's obvious I still have some research to do in order to fully grasp the tongue weight concept.

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Does this mean if true tongue weight was 600lbs, with a WDH youre hit to payload is 400?
Whoops! I can see how my paragraph was misleading. I meant 2/3 *of the weight distribution hitch weight*.

i.e. if you buy a WDH that weighs 90 pounds, when correctly installed it should distribute it evenly across the 3 axles: 1/3 truck front, 1/3 truck rear, 1/3 trailer. So only 2/3 of the WDH weight count against your payload.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
So, if I'm understanding it correctly, the million-dollar question is "how do I measure/adjust tongue weight????". Comments above, and on other threads, suggest to simply "weigh it"... I do NOT intend to sound sarcastic here, but how the heck does one weigh a vehicle/trailer in ANY capacity, let alone specific areas of them?
This is easy! First, step on the scale to get your weight. Then pick up the trailer, and step on the scale again and get that weight. Then subtract your own weight!

j/k haha

I considered 3 options for weighing (4th option is a hitch with built-in scale but I already have a WDH so that wasn't an option):
Ford F-150 I might be "THAT guy"... 1617768158953

The most expensive was the scale with stand, on the left. Just raise your tongue jack, put this under the ball and lower it onto it. Same technique with the middle one, but you need to stack legos or wooden blocks to raise the height. Third option and one you may prefer as it is cheapest and uses tech (since you are a Forscan veteran) is the ODB plug in module. It uses the level sensors in your truck to get the weight. I think it also does tongue weight AND total payload based on displacement.

I opted for the middle one and stacked blocks and weighed mine. I wanted to be able to see the impact on tongue of less fresh water, and shifting some load from under my bed to under the bunks in the rear. So I needed to own my own scale rather than keep going to public scales.

To know my trailer's actual loaded weight, I drove it to the scales at a truck stop and paid like 12 bucks or something. I knew the curb weight of my 2017 truck, plus estimated weight of my after market addons (mats, tools, camper shell). My total trailer weight was trailer_axles+truck_steer_axle+truck_drive_axle - truck_curb_weight.

OP
OP
sonofzell

sonofzell

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is easy! First, step on the scale to get your weight. Then pick up the trailer, and step on the scale again and get that weight. Then subtract your own weight!
I did this, but you forget to tell me to empty my pockets... now my numbers are all skewed! :LOL:

Kidding aside, thanks for that info! Since I'm a "one-trailer" guy, these options do seem a bit pricey; I've already started putting out some texts to camping friends to see if I can find someone who has one of these contraptions and may be willing to let me borrow it.

FWIW, I did purchase a hitch kit with weight distribution and a sway bar. Unfortunately, I went "frugal" initially and picked one up from my local Harbor Freight store that ended up being defective (grrr!). I replaced it with a Curt model, but not before I needed to set up our camper this past Friday. It's staying at the site for a few weeks, so I plan to install the new hitch and level/adjust the rig on my return trip in May. I'm really curious to see/feel the difference!

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
snoofzeli, don't overlook the excellent Ford publication on towing with Ford products. Especially for those who are asking fundamental questions, I think Ford did an excellent job of laying out the basics in some detail.

The #1 surprise for me, as we began towing an RV 2 years ago, was how few trailer owners had ever - that's *ever* - weighed their fully loaded trailer, their (also loaded up) tow vehicle, and their combined rig. If you haven't been to the scales multiple times - while loaded out for a trip - it's a great way for a very small fee to learn a lot about your two vehicles. Local commercial scales are the equivalent of a very expensive tool that someone is willing to loan you for a very small fee.

And then there are tires...which even those who talk about TV weights, hitches and such, rarely think to mention. Even among the towing consigliere, there are very few who know how a tow vehicle should be weighed if complying with tire manufacturer recommends (Michelin and Goodyear, for example). You might want to explore that a bit, since RV manufacturers give terrible advice on RV tire inflation pressures. Here's a simple two-step process you can use. Go here to read how you should measure each *side* of your RV. (Yeah, you almost never hear anyone mentioning this). Then go here, even if you don't have Goodyear trailer tires, simply to understand how you use those *side weights* and your tire manufacturer's load inflation chart to determine inflation pressures for your trailer.

You're asking good questions. Keep it up!

Jack

spectre446

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
According to that document, anything over 5,000lbs needs a weight distributing hitch. For as long as I can remember, my father in law has towed a 10,000lb boat and trailer on just a regular ball hitch with a 12 year old Ram 2500. Has he been doing it wrong this whole time? Maybe because it's a different truck?
Sponsored