First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
ok. I had a budget for my truck. Blown completely away. Misery loves company.
I’m spending way too much on this truck and still not done.
Its the accessories that are bankrupting me. Got a have them.
Spray bed liner, tri fold hard bed cover, custom wheels and tires, Bluetooth dash cam, molded floor mats, 2” level kit to fit tires, Bluetooth obd dongle and 8” tablet to monitor the hybrid battery and engine management, mongoose cable to manually install the ford software updates that don’t seem to come, reverse beep sound cutout dongle, window tint, mirror wrap,. I’m sure there will be more.
I got this truck a week ago and the only driving has been to different shops to perform the upgrades.
I had little idea how much this all added up. I tell myself each item is only just a bit more then next item is 100 and so forth. I have a spending problem on the truck. The way I justify it is madness.
my biggest problem is I’m a techno nerd. This 502a is a electronic junky’s crack. There is so many features locked away. I’ve spent hours and hours custom tuning the engine, body control systems and everything else I can find, I can’t help myself.
I am a expermental aircraft builder/designer. I built a two place high performance plane that is capable of auto landing. I thought my plane was advanced until this truck.
It going to be my very last high dollar truck.
I bought it with 4k miles so I payed thousands less than sticker. I almost ordered a new one but with the features I wanted it would have been over 80k and it would have had deletes that would have drove me nuts.
So far I’m under what a new one would have cost.
I envy some that are happy with the truck as is. I hope to have phots soon.
BTW. I want to give Discount Tires a shout out. I bought some mickie Thompson tires from them this week. I told them what to order. I did my research. All the reviews were 5 star. These tires are SO noisy. Sounds like wheel bearings going out and has a washboard feeling when coming to a stop. There not defective. I reached out to discount tire and they offered to swap them out for anything in the price range. Man that’s going to make a lifetime customer out of me.
Sponsored

Texas2022XLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302A
I agree got mine last month and had a Line-X premium bedliner, ceramic tint, XPEL done on the front and a few other areas. Want to do other add ons but I need to get a laptop now so I can do forscan changes for them. Want to do the FDRS software updates so looking into that with a mongoose…I just keep seeing dollar signs!!!!

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
Spray bed liner, tri fold hard bed cover, custom wheels and tires, Bluetooth dash cam, molded floor mats, 2” level kit to fit tires, Bluetooth obd dongle and 8” tablet to monitor the hybrid battery and engine management, mongoose cable to manually install the ford software updates that don’t seem to come, reverse beep sound cutout dongle, window tint, mirror wrap,. I’m sure there will be more.
I got this truck a week ago and the only driving has been to different shops to perform the upgrades.
I had little idea how much this all added up. I tell myself each item is only just a bit more then next item is 100 and so forth. I have a spending problem on the truck. The way I justify it is madness.
my biggest problem is I’m a techno nerd. This 502a is a electronic junky’s crack. There is so many features locked away. I’ve spent hours and hours custom tuning the engine, body control systems and everything else I can find, I can’t help myself.
I am a expermental aircraft builder/designer. I built a two place high performance plane that is capable of auto landing. I thought my plane was advanced until this truck.
I bought it with 4k miles so I payed thousands less than sticker. I almost ordered a new one but with the features I wanted it would have been over 80k and it would have had deletes that would have drove me nuts.
BTW. I want to give Discount Tires a shout out. I bought some mickie Thompson tires from them this week. I told them what to order. I did my research. All the reviews were 5 star. These tires are SO noisy. Sounds like wheel bearings going out and has a washboard feeling when coming to a stop. There not defective. I reached out to discount tire and they offered to swap them out for anything in the price range. Man that’s going to make a lifetime customer out of me.
Thank you for this post!

I had BIG PLANS for my Fully Loaded 2021 RCSB and got a fewK into it before a financial baseball bat whacked me in the wallet from out of nowhere.

Not a “show stopper”… just a delay. (Several months worth)

But, it’s given me time to really dial in the plans I had and realize that some were more aspirational than functional.
Also… as time ticks bye, more & more aftermarket goodies come to market. That too has altered my plans somewhat saving me from pissing away money I would have spent on things I would have regretted or replaced.

Like your tires... I had my heart set on Mickey Thompson and your post has convinced me that those are EXACTLY the tires I want. My tire research is over. I love the growl of the knobbys slapping the pavement and the washboard effect when coming to a stop is just a reminder of the mud they’ll be slinging off road.

I ordered this truck to build the ultimate towing, off road 4x4. That’s why I sacrificed all the options that Ford doesn’t offer on a 122” wheelbase truck.

I have the same “problem” you have and in a couple months when the flood gates open again, I’ll have a much clearer head when I start dumping money down the pit.

I too will post picts when I’m “done” (as if we’re EVER DONE!)🤩

My 2ND Ford

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f-150 Platinum, 2014 BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Retired
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. All I have done is a ford spray in bedliner, husky liners, ford mud flaps , Access soft tonneau cover and Helwig rear sway bar . Almost forgot , I picked up a set of 18 inch sport rims and tires from a Lariat for winter use.

Sponsored

Old Bear

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 King Ranch Powerboost
Occupation
Information Technology
Wow, I'm a saint compared to you guys! I wonder if this would convince my wife about that ... 😇

GregBC

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 5.0L 302A Carbonized Gray
Occupation
Retired US Navy; currently DND
Yeah, I think most of us are with ya, haha! A big reason I was looking at used (Gen13) trucks was because I knew accessories were going to add up.
Now I have a brand new 22 and ZERO regrets but it’s definitely caused me to scale back on accessories. Bed mat instead of bed liner (seems to suit me for what I do, tho I may regret scratches in the bed some day); soft roll tonneau cover vs hard; no canopy… In time I may get more but going slow for now.

Enjoy the truck and the process!

dzacco

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited Powerboost
Discount has been great for me. I went in to have a flat repaired but it was in the sidewall so new tire time. As luck would have it they just had another customer buy big tires and wheels for their new jeep and they had the brand new Wranglers available for resale. I paid less for the set than one replacement tire would have cost.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Wow, I'm a saint compared to you guys! I wonder if this would convince my wife about that ... 😇
The secret is to buy her stuff as a distraction. 😁

Don't want to add up what I've spent so far on the truck. Revolver 4xs, tint, sway bar, Livernois tune, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot of the small stuff

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
My only suggestion is aim for the LOWEST trim that still contains the stuff that you can't live without AND cannot add later. Many of the items in the higher trims can be replaced with higher quality aftermarket parts if you're willing to hunt for it and find folks who can reliably install it. A lot of folks have found that the XLT 302A is a kind of sweet spot for people who enjoy the process of upgrading.

At this point, I would only exchange my truck for an F150 with a 3.0L Powerstroke Frankensteined together with a Powerboost, which I assume to be basically impossible or impossibly cludgy for anyone but Ford. The downside to all of this effort is that insurance won't reimburse for any of it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Not drowning in debt yet! I sold my 7 year old lariat for 3k less than I bought it for. I was able to pay down over half the new truck. It's the intrest rate on the balance that's under my skin. 1.5% for the 2016. 5.9% for the 2022. At least it's on only 23k.
Man there I go again justifying more upgrades. I should get a driver and sit in the back.
Oh but that means more money for rear entertainment system.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Not drowning in debt yet! I sold my 7 year old lariat for 3k less than I bought it for. I was able to pay down over half the new truck. It's the intrest rate on the balance that's under my skin. 1.5% for the 2016. 5.9% for the 2022. At least it's on only 23k.
Man there I go again justifying more upgrades. I should get a driver and sit in the back.
Oh but that means more money for rear entertainment system.
Glad to hear! Based on your initial post, I wasn’t sure, but truly glad to hear you’re not. I’ve been there before, it’s pretty freakin stressful.

Yea I’ve dumped probably 4-5k into mine since September lol. And I’d love to spend way more than that, but I’m trying to pace myself haha

OP
OP

Spiffy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 platinum powerboost
Occupation
Retired
You don't know how much better I feel. I'm afraid my kids are going to have to subside my retirement

mrtull

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT SCrew SB, FX4 with Tow
Occupation
Teacher
You don't know how much better I feel. I'm afraid my kids are going to have to subside my retirement
For what new trucks are.... that I just paid.... YUP! So Enjoy it. My only advise is to pace yourself. So much to do and play with. Savor each upgrade before getting the next. :cool: Easier said than done!!

PFXLT

First Name
AA Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I agree got mine last month and had a Line-X premium bedliner, ceramic tint, XPEL done on the front and a few other areas. Want to do other add ons but I need to get a laptop now so I can do forscan changes for them. Want to do the FDRS software updates so looking into that with a mongoose…I just keep seeing dollar signs!!!!
i recommend finding the community mongoose cable thread from @rugedraw. Use of the needed cable for the cost of shipping, won’t help with the windows laptop issue but every little bit helps. I currently have his cable and it’s getting dropped back to FedEx tomorrow. Updates were straight forward just like the ecu update post says.
Sponsored