Sponsored

I’m 8 weeks out with no VIN, anyone else experiencing this?

F150fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Ordered on 2/1 at a small dealership in Louisiana. Dealer originally said it should take maybe two weeks to get a VIN. To date, no VIN after multiple follow ups with the dealer. Salesman cites chip shortage.

I know there are several people still waiting that ordered much longer ago, but I see just as many in the new build week threads that are getting VINs and build dates and Everything else very quickly.

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Ordered on 2/1 at a small dealership in Louisiana. Dealer originally said it should take maybe two weeks to get a VIN. To date, no VIN after multiple follow ups with the dealer. Salesman cites chip shortage.

I know there are several people still waiting that ordered much longer ago, but I see just as many in the new build week threads that are getting VINs and build dates and Everything else very quickly.

Should I be concerned?

I ordered 2/12 and also have not received a VIN. Also, after several follow ups with my dealer, last a week ago today the order still registers as unscheduled.
there are many reasons why this occurs. Chip shortage, factory shutdown, parts shortage, dealer allocation, etc. at small dealers of which is where I ordered allocation is a much more prominent issue. I believe, have not been told, that allocation is probably caused my delay

Blue Cane.

First Name
Rigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retail

Should I be concerned?
For reference. Place order back in 8/26/20 I pick up my truck on 3/22/21. Ford has had lots of delays in production due to shortage of parts plus they were in production with ventilators for CV-19.

OP
OP

F150fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
For reference. Place order back in 8/26/20 I pick up my truck on 3/22/21. Ford has had lots of delays in production due to shortage of parts plus they were in production with ventilators for CV-19.
I understand it could take six month to get the truck. But did you have trouble getting a VIN? I'm looking for details on the VIN part. I see some threads that say the VIN# is received once the dealer submits the order. Other threads seem to tie the VIN# to something that comes from the production side of the process regardless of when the order is submitted. I'm wanting to know if its possible that my dealer didn't order my truck yet, and maybe how I can get proof from them that they have actually placed my eight-week old order.

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
I ordered 2/12 and also have not received a VIN. Also, after several follow ups with my dealer, last a week ago today the order still registers as unscheduled.
there are many reasons why this occurs. Chip shortage, factory shutdown, parts shortage, dealer allocation, etc. at small dealers of which is where I ordered allocation is a much more prominent issue. I believe, have not been told, that allocation is probably caused my delay
Just for reference I ordered mine in Nov 2020 and didn't get a VIN till Feb 2021, This was mainly due to dealer allocation and how many they had pre-sold. The dealers wont tell you this because they would loose out on sales. Kind of shady in my opinion. But if they have pre-sold a lot and only have a small allocation then it could be months before they are even able to get the order accepted into Ford's production system which will generate your VIN and approx. a week later your window sticker. Mine was supposed to be delivered in Feb, March at the latest but based on the late acceptance into Ford's system I have now had my ETA end date move from March 23rd, to April 20th to now TBD. If that is correct then I may not see my truck until possibly May/June at this rate. Sorry if this adds to your concern but it's the reality many of us have faced in this long and frustrating process.

Sponsored

OP
OP

F150fan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Just for reference I ordered mine in Nov 2020 and didn't get a VIN till Feb 2021, This was mainly due to dealer allocation and how many they had pre-sold. The dealers wont tell you this because they would loose out on sales. Kind of shady in my opinion. But if they have pre-sold a lot and only have a small allocation then it could be months before they are even able to get the order accepted into Ford's production system which will generate your VIN and approx. a week later your window sticker. Mine was supposed to be delivered in Feb, March at the latest but based on the late acceptance into Ford's system I have now had my ETA end date move from March 23rd, to April 20th to now TBD. If that is correct then I may not see my truck until possibly May/June at this rate. Sorry if this adds to your concern but it's the reality many of us have faced in this long and frustrating process.
No, I appreciate your response. I suspect the allocation issue is what is happening here and am going to press for them to confirm with the assurance that they won't lose my sale. I just need to know that you have submitted or are trying to submit my dang order.

I wish the Order Tracker had a column for VIN date received, because now I'm wondering if older order dates gives you any preference in production over the people that recently ordered, but received a VIN# within a few weeks. For example, if someone ordered the exact same truck as me (and all other conditions are the same), production order should roughly go by the order number and not whose VIN was generated first, right?

Essentially, I'm wondering if (when i get a VIN) the build and estimated delivery will be sooner because I have an older order #. Sounds like your build date was very soon after your VIN. It's just your delivery date kept getting pushed back. Am i right? I guess we shall see.

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
No, I appreciate your response. I suspect the allocation issue is what is happening here and am going to press for them to confirm with the assurance that they won't lose my sale. I just need to know that you have submitted or are trying to submit my dang order.

I wish the Order Tracker had a column for VIN date received, because now I'm wondering if older order dates gives you any preference in production over the people that recently ordered, but received a VIN# within a few weeks. For example, if someone ordered the exact same truck as me (and all other conditions are the same), production order should roughly go by the order number and not whose VIN was generated first, right?

Essentially, I'm wondering if (when i get a VIN) the build and estimated delivery will be sooner because I have an older order #. Sounds like your build date was very soon after your VIN. It's just your delivery date kept getting pushed back. Am i right? I guess we shall see.
Yes my build date was March 8th and I received my VIN on Feb 16th. I also came across this which might provide some insight once you get a VIN and you Truck is in unscheduled clean status. But this also all depends on parts shortages which is another thing that has slowed a lot of the production times.

Ford F-150 I’m 8 weeks out with no VIN, anyone else experiencing this? 5284a827_0c01_4b4e_b74b_14365bffd66e_ec42f4170c4d0c778a2282c62670549d10efad88

PGA

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
First, when you placed your order you should have received a copy of the "preview Order form". On the bottom of the form under customer signature and date it, you might find "This order has not been submitted to the order bank" and under that "this is not an invoice" . This is the initial form you are given on the day you order. If this is all you have, request the dealer send you a copy of the submitted order form, which is identical just does not have the statement that it has not been submitted.

Second, check the second line of entry's for priority code that will contain a number. The lower the number the better. Supposedly only the factory can issue a code of 10 or lower, but dealers issue a numerical value at their discretion. A 15 would be a good code. If yours is real high I would get with the dealer and request they change it. As this can impact how quickly your order is picked up by Ford.

As others have mentioned the auto manufactures are all facing multiple challenges which only frustrates us the customer.

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
F150fan, I ordered a Lariat PB on 12/18 and have yet to receive a VIN. A week ago, after a follow-up every two weeks, I asked the Dealer to explore what the hold up was. He promised he'd take it up with 'his Ford rep' but I've yet to hear back. In response, I visited a nearby Ford dealership today. That sales manager explained that, at least for their dealership, a priority number of 20 is the lowest normal allocation number available to them, and 19 is the lowest retail order priority they can give (which would apply in our cases). He opened up his F150 factory status and showed me that the system indicates there are, at least at the moment, no shortages affecting production. (That doesn't mean the chip shortage isn't an issue for Ford, nor does it mean they don't alter production line scheduling. It only means the system - today - wasn't identifying any missing components relative to the production currently scheduled). A request for a lower priority (than 19) can be made by the Dealer but its not commonly granted, so explained the sales manager. I asked if I ordered today, how long would it be until delivery and he estimated 10-12 weeks, which he described as a routine schedule in his (5 years) experience. I don't have an order with this dealer nor was I promising one, so I can't see him being highly motivated to misrepresent the above details, tho' of course he is in 'sales'. ;)

My conclusion is that you shouldn't yet assume your order has a 'problem'. OTOH I'm pretty convinced my mid-December order is overdue for a VIN# and my dealer is reluctant to call me back with some disappointing news. We shall see...

Jack

Wolf Man

First Name
WolfMan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
My order was placed 11/4 and given a priority code of 10. I don't have the exact date but about 2 weeks later Ford changed the priority code to 2. With the exception of priority code 1 I had never heard of a priority code lower than 10 but my dealer is very reputable and I have no reason not to believe him. He's even spoke to his regional rep at Ford a few times and cannot get an answer on why my order just sits in Unscheduled Clean purgatory. I remember when we used to get regular commodity updates on the forum my build always had 1 or more items that were not available. I have to assume that is still the issue but if I don't get something soon like the VIN I'll be moving my order to the 2022 model year. Sure, it'll just make me have to wait longer to get the truck I want but doesn't seem like it's going to come any sooner anyway.
Sponsored