Sponsored

Hybrid Shifting Clunkiness from Reviewers?

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
I've had my PB since March and it definitely has some clunkiness. Mainly I notice it when taking off from a stop and it will shift from 1 straight to 3. Otherwise it feels great.

Mine does have an issue with the electric motor that is going to have to be replaced, so I might have other issues. Waiting on parts, for the second time, from Ford. It threw a CEL a month ago and when I had the dealer check they said the electric motor needed to be replaced. The CEL had cleared itself by that point and they said it was safe to drive. Apparently it might be a problem under full throttle, so I'm staying off the gas. Parts are constrained and the wrong part was in the box the first time they got it in. Happened to a PB once before at the dealer with the same issue, wrong part in the right box from Ford.
Can you tell me what the MIL code was??? I would love to know so I can be ready for it.
Sponsored

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
The other truck, built in June, had 20 miles on it. I'm sure software plays a part, but I wonder if there's also a build quality issue. It takes a while for a carmaker to get enough units in the field for the statistics to take shape, for the defect to be identified, for a field repair to be designed, then they issue a service bulletin and hopefully it's a simple fix, a defective OEM part that's not working to spec.
The Hybrid is certainly changing itself. I drove mine on the freeway for the first time in a few weeks and it sat on 75 mpg and averaged 22 mpg for a familiar trip 2 hour trip involving some idling to keep the AC on (dog) and some city traffic. I can't recall it being above 20 on that particular trip. Same 87 gas. Software upgrades? 6700 miles, who knows; maybe the engine is still running in?
The other thing I’ve noticed, is when the battery is getting charged back up after depleting, the engine feels like it’s under a heavier load than normal. If you’re just starting a trip, that first few miles recharging can throw the trip off.

Cold Start:
If you cold crank the truck and only drive 15 miles, there isn’t really enough on time to warm the motor up all the way. When the motor is cold, it gets worse MPG because it’s getting the cats fired up and engine warmed up, sucking more fuel while doing so. That being said, if you cold crank and start driving and turn the truck off 5-10 miles later, let it cool and repeat, you probably aren’t going to get 24.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
Well I’ve watched many videos on the 10 speed. From what I understand, since the trans learns how you drive, you getting in a different truck, would net a different shift result because someone else was driving that truck.
Yes this is correct - the same thing happens with the 5 speed trans in my 2007 Jeep WK. Most of the time I drive like I have a cakepan full of ice water in my lap, and it shifts very smoothly (glides into gear) but sometimes I flog the horses, and the shifting changes - gets sharper - and stays that way for a while after I return to smoother driving.

Regarding the PB 10 spd - it seems that each driving mode has a unique shifting style to go with it (or at least each group of modes). I can use Sport mode and wail on the truck for a bit, then return to Normal mode and the trans immediately returns to the smoother style I'm accustomed to.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Regarding the PB 10 spd - it seems that each driving mode has a unique shifting style to go with it (or at least each group of modes).
If we were discussing the Ecoboost (non PowerBoost) we could say that the "driving modes" are 95% transmission tuning and 5% throttle mapping. Or put another way, these modes are not different "tunes" relative to fueling/performance. The truck only has 1 "tune"

The only caveat with the Powerboost when compared, is that each mode appears to also alter the EV strategy as well as the transmission strategy. Because they can. :)

Sure, the whole logic (software) is a little rough around the edges in certain circumstances, but I am amazed at how well version 1.0 behaves.

rca

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Can you tell me what the MIL code was??? I would love to know so I can be ready for it.
I did not get the code at the time I took it in for service and I cannot decipher anything from the work order. I'll ask when I take it in for service and see if I can find out. When they get the parts in, that is.

Sponsored

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 PB XLT Sport 4x4, 20 Mustang GT Conv.
Occupation
Aircraft Tech & Maintenance planner
I've had my PB since March and it definitely has some clunkiness. Mainly I notice it when taking off from a stop and it will shift from 1 straight to 3. Otherwise it feels great.

Mine does have an issue with the electric motor that is going to have to be replaced, so I might have other issues. Waiting on parts, for the second time, from Ford. It threw a CEL a month ago and when I had the dealer check they said the electric motor needed to be replaced. The CEL had cleared itself by that point and they said it was safe to drive. Apparently it might be a problem under full throttle, so I'm staying off the gas. Parts are constrained and the wrong part was in the box the first time they got it in. Happened to a PB once before at the dealer with the same issue, wrong part in the right box from Ford.
RCA, i agree. Most of my 'clunky' shifts occur right when I take off from a stop. It doesn't seem to matter if I floor it or roll on smoothly. I think the software always wants to start in electric and immediate says, "nope, this requires more torque from the engine." And in 1st gear you'll definitely feel a clunk. It's not worrying, just annoying. Most of the time the electric-gas transitions are smooth and almost unnoticeable.
I have also noticed the re-gen really puts a load on the rear axle. On transition from dry to a slippery surface such as a water patch, it has a momentary hiccup as if the resistance of the regen overwhelms the tire's traction. I didn't have any snow or ice to drive in after getting my PowerBoost end of March but rain driving hasn't been a problem. It just concerns me that occationaly I feel that slight lock-up and clunk when I am decelerating and hit a slippery patch.

ATLalien

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Powerboost
Yes, some shifts are a bit harsh, others are smooth. Not my biggest concern.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Ill be honest. Coming from driving multiple vehicles that made 500+ RWHP...

The Hybrid system produces 430HP and 575TQ, and does a wonderful job balancing the electric and motor, coupled through the 10 speed, and the 4WD/AWD system.

Big race car parts make big race car part noises. Has everyone forgot about that term blasted on the forms just 5-10 years ago? I remember the 03 Terminator clunk in the drivetrain with the alum driveshaft, but that was the only fix (its just going to make that clunk because it handles 600TQ and its a Tremec T56 and IRS assembly). The fix was always, its just going to do that because its rated for BIG HP numbers.

Make something shift 600TQ for 100,000 miles without a few clunks here and there, or show me something like it, and ill buy you a new F-150 Platinum.

Anything with 600TQ is going to jerk you around a little on the shifts. Come on folks, the truck is amazing and the reviews and critics are trolls. The truck will get 24PMG, and I've done it on many 1000 mile trips of alternating city and interstate traffic. It will not get 24 if you drive over 72PMH, so maybe that's their problem.

But to the last poster's point, I just got the Power-Up 1.6.0 update 2 days ago, and mine seems to drive slightly better, and maybe even gets better economy. Don't listen to the trolls, this is the best truck on the road, and the lightning will have to come a long way to beat this hybrid.
Every time I look for the latest software version my truck just simply "Searches for updates", then says something to the effect, "Your system has the latest updates." I want to know what version it's currently running but can't seem to find that info?? I do know that it recently updated (for the 1st time!) last Thursday 7/29 because Ford Pass pushed a message. But even that didn't get posted to my Message Center.
What did the 1.6.0 update supposedly improve?

Also, I just did my 1st oil change at 5855 miles even thought my oil life stated I was only at 53%. It definitely looked dark in the bucket but still had a gold color on the dipstick. So I'll continue the 5-7K changes and not wait for the monitor. I kept Trip 2 running since my 1st fillup to monitor break-in and MPG. I've also done manual calulations at every fillup and found my computer to be 1.2 MPG optimistic. Funny, my 2018 STX 2.7EB had the very same 1.2 MPG better setting?
On the 2018 I was able to calibrate the MPG within the onboard system using dash buttons to 'hack' into it. It took a month of fill-ups and changing values but finally got nailed down to within .2gal MPG! I have not found a way to get to these settings in the 2021. Does anyone know how?

Lastly, I usually drive in ECO mode which up shifts sooner and resists up shifting during cruise. My Trip 1 computer is reset each fill-up and If I drive economically I can get mixed-driving MPG within the 24-25 range. I use highway at least 50% for daily driving so I feel it's a good representation of mixed driving. I was recuperating from really bad Covid-19 when the truck arrived (ordered Jan 18) so my trips for the first 3-4 weeks were much more residential while still staying home - the grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, neighborhood, etc. I got mid 19's at that time but it was brand new and still breaking in. But over the past 5k miles it has improved gradually, so I'm expecting it to get a little better by the next oil change.
Now, If I could only find a way to access the trip computer MPG formula...

Ford F-150 Hybrid Shifting Clunkiness from Reviewers? IMG_7484.JPEG

Ford F-150 Hybrid Shifting Clunkiness from Reviewers? IMG_7486.JPEG

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

My truck was smooth as silk for first 5 months, then I started noticing when taking off without a load, the shift from 1st to 3rd was starting to get a little clunky. When I took my truck in to have the windshield re-sealed I told them about the tranny. They cleared the learn data and now everything is back to smooth as silk. Quick, simple and nailed the issue, so a software issue I guess.

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My truck was smooth as silk for first 5 months, then I started noticing when taking off without a load, the shift from 1st to 3rd was starting to get a little clunky. When I took my truck in to have the windshield re-sealed I told them about the tranny. They cleared the learn data and now everything is back to smooth as silk. Quick, simple and nailed the issue, so a software issue I guess.
I forgot to mention that they reset all the computer systems when I had mine in for a few warranty issues. Afterwards the shifting has been worse. They couldn't tell me if they updated or just reinstalled the existing software since the Sync system "pro" floats between dealerships and didn't tell them what he did. But possibly, it had to begin to re-learn and thus feels harsher?

Sponsored

scrming

First Name
V6 John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT PowerBoost
I forgot to mention that they reset all the computer systems when I had mine in for a few warranty issues. Afterwards the shifting has been worse. They couldn't tell me if they updated or just reinstalled the existing software since the Sync system "pro" floats between dealerships and didn't tell them what he did. But possibly, it had to begin to re-learn and thus feels harsher?
my truck seemed really harsh after the update the other day. After a weekend of driving it now seems a lot better!

spiritrider1

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My 2021 f150 hybrid has 7000 miles and the average gas mileage is 23.3mpg.
My 22.8mpg of mixed driving is usually mild-moderate acceleration but higher highway speeds of around 75-80mph. I also usually try to draft behind other pickups or SUV's to pick up a little help. ;)

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
RCA, i agree. Most of my 'clunky' shifts occur right when I take off from a stop. It doesn't seem to matter if I floor it or roll on smoothly. I think the software always wants to start in electric and immediate says, "nope, this requires more torque from the engine." And in 1st gear you'll definitely feel a clunk. It's not worrying, just annoying. Most of the time the electric-gas transitions are smooth and almost unnoticeable.
I have also noticed the re-gen really puts a load on the rear axle. On transition from dry to a slippery surface such as a water patch, it has a momentary hiccup as if the resistance of the regen overwhelms the tire's traction. I didn't have any snow or ice to drive in after getting my PowerBoost end of March but rain driving hasn't been a problem. It just concerns me that occationaly I feel that slight lock-up and clunk when I am decelerating and hit a slippery patch.
I am working on a post to add to this thread, but i have noticed this also. The regen system kept my front brakes from collecting near any dust over 5000 miles of driving. If you don’t go out of the green when stopping on the hybrid meter, it barely uses any real brakes.

Slippery Mode is a different story and barely uses any regenerative braking. You will notice the MPG drop when using slippery even though you don’t change any drive style. Also, the auto 4 x 4 will engage fully even under light throttle. So much that it will hop the tires on wet pavement making a sharp turn.

If you have low miles on your tires, or have rotated them frequently, you can just stay in normal mode and turn 4 x 4 on full time, and then it will transfer the stopping power of the rear tires to the front tires via the transfer case, and still use the regen braking system to the fullest.

Last edited:

AutonomousHybridF150

First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Adjuster
Every time I look for the latest software version my truck just simply "Searches for updates", then says something to the effect, "Your system has the latest updates." I want to know what version it's currently running but can't seem to find that info?? I do know that it recently updated (for the 1st time!) last Thursday 7/29 because Ford Pass pushed a message. But even that didn't get posted to my Message Center.
What did the 1.6.0 update supposedly improve?

Also, I just did my 1st oil change at 5855 miles even thought my oil life stated I was only at 53%. It definitely looked dark in the bucket but still had a gold color on the dipstick. So I'll continue the 5-7K changes and not wait for the monitor. I kept Trip 2 running since my 1st fillup to monitor break-in and MPG. I've also done manual calulations at every fillup and found my computer to be 1.2 MPG optimistic. Funny, my 2018 STX 2.7EB had the very same 1.2 MPG better setting?
On the 2018 I was able to calibrate the MPG within the onboard system using dash buttons to 'hack' into it. It took a month of fill-ups and changing values but finally got nailed down to within .2gal MPG! I have not found a way to get to these settings in the 2021. Does anyone know how?

Lastly, I usually drive in ECO mode which up shifts sooner and resists up shifting during cruise. My Trip 1 computer is reset each fill-up and If I drive economically I can get mixed-driving MPG within the 24-25 range. I use highway at least 50% for daily driving so I feel it's a good representation of mixed driving. I was recuperating from really bad Covid-19 when the truck arrived (ordered Jan 18) so my trips for the first 3-4 weeks were much more residential while still staying home - the grocery store, gas station, pharmacy, neighborhood, etc. I got mid 19's at that time but it was brand new and still breaking in. But over the past 5k miles it has improved gradually, so I'm expecting it to get a little better by the next oil change.
Now, If I could only find a way to access the trip computer MPG formula...

IMG_7484.JPEG

IMG_7486.JPEG
Engineering Test Mode 2021 F150

To access the trip computer fix on the 2021, kill the truck in Normal mode, open the door and then close the door to make the dash turn off. Wait a couple seconds for the screens to go black.

Hold the OK button (right steering wheel) for at least 5 seconds and continue holding until you see the message after the next step.

Apply brake and hold, start truck ignition (NOT ACC Only), and continue holding the OK button until you see Engineering Test Mode.

Cycle up or down 1 and it’s basically the only thing you can edit on the menu.

Question:
Are you 4x4 or 2x4?
Sponsored