Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
For those wanting the quick stats:

0-60 in 5.2 seconds
1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds at 102.1 mph
60-0 in 136 feet
0.75Gs worth of lateral grip.

Not bad for most cars, much less a 5,832 pound truck!

Last edited:

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
You know, I think this is going to put even more demand for this power train.

I know our orders are early and the averages won't probably hold throughout the entire year but I still think Ford has greatly underestimated the percentage of PowerBoost that will be ordered. They stated 10% and I'm thinking closer to 25%.

For the upper end models, the cost is very minimal and you get the 2.4kw propower thrown in to
boot.

I know that reading that article, if I had not already ordered one, it would make me want to now. Lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
mike001va

mike001va

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 f150
Occupation
retired

I know our orders are early and the averages won't probably hold throughout the entire year but I still think Ford has greatly underestimated the percentage of PowerBoost that will be ordered. They stated 10% and I'm thinking closer to 25%.

For the upper end models, the cost is very minimal and you get the 2.4kw propower thrown in to boot.
I agree Bob..

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer

For the upper end models, the cost is very minimal and you get the 2.4kw propower thrown in to boot.
I agree as well.

And Bob, on the other thread you asked how fast my EVO was, so when these numbers came out I had to look it up, because they sounded pretty close to what I remembered for the EVO. In 2008 the first test for my EVO showed 5.1 sec 0-60, and 13.8 at 100 mph in the quarter mile. Now my 2011 hasn't been stock since the week I bought it in May 2012, but holy cow...and the EVO doesn't get anywhere close to 24 mpg and it weighs at least 2000 lbs less. I mean straight line acceleration is not what EVOs were built for, but it was the fastest vehicle I owned, until this truck shows up...

We are buying a dang fast pickup truck!!! I knew it was fast on the test drive, and I even told my wife there was no reason to take it out of "ECO Mode" unless you need 4wd, but dang I had no idea it was this fast. These stats are pretty useless for pickups, and I wish the braking performance was better, since that actually comes into play when pulling a trailer, but it will be nice to have the performance anytime you want it.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I agree as well.

And Bob, on the other thread you asked how fast my EVO was, so when these numbers came out I had to look it up, because they sounded pretty close to what I remembered for the EVO. In 2008 the first test for my EVO showed 5.1 sec 0-60, and 13.8 at 100 mph in the quarter mile. Now my 2011 hasn't been stock since the week I bought it in May 2012, but holy cow...and the EVO doesn't get anywhere close to 24 mpg and it weighs at least 2000 lbs less. I mean straight line acceleration is not what EVOs were built for, but it was the fastest vehicle I owned, until this truck shows up...

We are buying a dang fast pickup truck!!! I knew it was fast on the test drive, and I even told my wife there was no reason to take it out of "ECO Mode" unless you need 4wd, but dang I had no idea it was this fast. These stats are pretty useless for pickups, and I wish the braking performance was better, since that actually comes into play when pulling a trailer, but it will be nice to have the performance anytime you want it.
I know right, it's like the Hellcat of trucks, plus, throw in a sweet generator, even makes the Raptor and it's price tag look unnecessary. Of course, a lot of that money is going into the suspension.

I question his statements on the breaks. Could be the pre-production truck they had was not setup just right or been beat so much with test drives, it could be out of adjustment.

Now, I didn't get to drive the one I had as much or in as many situations as they did but I didn't feel that at all in the one I test drove, not once.

The economy looks like it will be there for sure. To get 20 the way they were driving it and almost 17 after 600 miles of different drivers doing nothing but hard accelerations and testing.

I could see normal calm easy cursing, achieve the window sticker estimate of 24. You could tell they were even impressed with the power and the MPGs.

We going to be getting one he** of a truck, that's for sure! Re-sell down the road should be sweet too! Lol

Last edited:

Crapblaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
They should build a regular cab with the 3.5L hybrid engine and the AWD system from the limited. That should be pretty quick. Kinda like a modern lightning.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
They should build a regular cab with the 3.5L hybrid engine and the AWD system from the limited. That should be pretty quick. Kinda like a modern lightning.
You could event argue that calling it the "Lightning" would make even more sense because of the electric component!

Rgwinn

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Hybrid
Plus you can get those nifty seats so you can take a nap.
Hope to get ours ordered this week!
Getting the 7.2Kw generator

Sponsored

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L

For the upper end models, the cost is very minimal and you get the 2.4kw propower thrown in to
boot.

I know that reading that article, if I had not already ordered one, it would make me want to now. Lol
If it wasn’t the first one they have made I would probably be in. I just can’t partly based on the fact that my 2011 3.5 needed a timing chain and phasers at 70,000 and Ford did nothing to help me out even though it was a known issue as bad parts with a TSB...

Also, I’m not 100% comfortable putting a lithium battery under my kids seat. I would have to see some serious crash testing for that after seeing Teslas go up like fireworks shows after some fairly modest collisions.

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer

boot.

I don’t know man, 10% of F150s is almost 100,000 units, that sounds like a good number.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
If it wasn’t the first one they have made I would probably be in. I just can’t partly based on the fact that my 2011 3.5 needed a timing chain and phasers at 70,000 and Ford did nothing to help me out even though it was a known issue as bad parts with a TSB...

Also, I’m not 100% comfortable putting a lithium battery under my kids seat. I would have to see some serious crash testing for that after seeing Teslas go up like fireworks shows after some fairly modest collisions.
That was my thought process as well. From what I can tell the 3.5 EcoBoost he most of its kinks worked out, and is buy and large reliable.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
I was rear-ended at a stop light by a car traveling at a pretty significant speed - and my car was a Tesla Model S. The Tesla's rear end took it pretty hard, but the offending vehicle had its radiator pushed in. I was never in fear of battery explosion.
There are now literally hundreds of thousands of Teslas on the road. Every once in a while, and probably less than 20 times total, have you heard about a Tesla "go up like fireworks shows".

Do yourself a favor and really research the safety of EV's. You'd have your kids sitting on top of 30+ gallons of gasoline, but not a battery? I'm not sure that make really good logic. But to each his/her own.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

I don’t know man, 10% of F150s is almost 100,000 units, that sounds like a good number.
You right, when you look at that way, 70,000 or so is a lot. ?

Of course this year, they will probably be a bit down on their total production over previous years, but still, that's a lot. If they don't get their butt in gear it will be a lot less.

I see a ton of overtime for these plants if they can get the vendor parts. Ford will not be making as much on this cash cow as they usually do. Heck, their no.1 in sells could slip this year if management can't rectify their vendor issues.

The system is really not new to Ford for they have had it for a while on their small SUV. The propower is the newbie and it being in a truck.

The battery is waaaay smaller than the Tesla but still no doubt needs safety engineering built into it. I've owned several hybrids but this will be the first with a lithium battery. Done a lot of research and feel comfortable with my decision.
Sponsored