Sponsored

How would your dealership handle this situation?

Jonitto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Screw 6.5 XLT Sport
Occupation
Flight Engineer
Good day all,

First post here. Just wanted to get some feedback, opinions on what I will call a "Case study" for a bath situation for
Both my spouse and I, and the Dealership we do business with.

Traded in a 2019 Screw STX 2.7L (Magnetic) in for a 2021 XLT 302A Sport 3.5L (Carbonized) on account of buying a 6000lbs Travel
Trailer.

Asked my salesman in July during purchase (whom I have been dealing with for 6 years) If my winter tires/wheels will fit on the new truck.
his exact words on "Yeah, they will fit no problem". Fast forward to December, Try to install winters, they DO NOT FIT. (17" wheels) Came the F150Gen14 website
and find out about larger REAR rotors. GO to dealership, ask to have rear rotors, caliper hangers and hoses replaced to accept 17" wheels, get told ALL FOUR corners will need to be replaced. I decide to sell our winters (at a loss) and buy new winter tires and alloy wheels. Find out after, that only rear Rotors are in need of replacement. So, twice I was given erroneous info.

I have asked the Sales manager for free TPMS sensors and a free mounting balancing of the new winter package. (Still waiting on answer)

DO you think I am being reasonable? I for sure accept SOME responsibility, but I have gotten, little to no support, not even an apology from my sales rep.
Sales Rep: "Did you tell me the size of your tires"
Me " Did you even ask?"

Just an awkward situation for everyone.

Really sucks to have sold those beautiful OEM Powder coated wheels ! Look forward to hearing any feedback!

Ford F-150 How would your dealership handle this situation? 20211126_110150
Sponsored

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
My former dealer wpi;d hvae answered "we'll see what incentives or rebates are avaolable"

Sapphire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost Platinum (job 2)
Good day all,

First post here. Just wanted to get some feedback, opinions on what I will call a "Case study" for a bath situation for
Both my spouse and I, and the Dealership we do business with.

Traded in a 2019 Screw STX 2.7L (Magnetic) in for a 2021 XLT 302A Sport 3.5L (Carbonized) on account of buying a 6000lbs Travel
Trailer.

Asked my salesman in July during purchase (whom I have been dealing with for 6 years) If my winter tires/wheels will fit on the new truck.
his exact words on "Yeah, they will fit no problem". Fast forward to December, Try to install winters, they DO NOT FIT. (17" wheels) Came the F150Gen14 website
and find out about larger REAR rotors. GO to dealership, ask to have rear rotors, caliper hangers and hoses replaced to accept 17" wheels, get told ALL FOUR corners will need to be replaced. I decide to sell our winters (at a loss) and buy new winter tires and alloy wheels. Find out after, that only rear Rotors are in need of replacement. So, twice I was given erroneous info.

I have asked the Sales manager for free TPMS sensors and a free mounting balancing of the new winter package. (Still waiting on answer)

DO you think I am being reasonable? I for sure accept SOME responsibility, but I have gotten, little to no support, not even an apology from my sales rep.
Sales Rep: "Did you tell me the size of your tires"
Me " Did you even ask?"

Just an awkward situation for everyone.

Really sucks to have sold those beautiful OEM Powder coated wheels ! Look forward to hearing any feedback!

20211126_110150.jpg
Sales folks I’ve dealt with will work to maintain the relationship and close deals, but I’ve never dealt with one that was a specifications expert (let alone even aware of all the specifics of a vehicle). In cases like your wheels, I would expect more accuracy from a parts person or service tech, but not the sales person. The good sales folks I’ve dealt with will try to not talk outside their area of expertise too much, but some of the slick deals folks will bend the truth often.

I’m not sure it’s fair to expect the sales person to steer you straight in this case. Sounds like he just said stuff, and screwed up. I think he did take on some responsibility with his bad info, though. Asking for some concessions seems reasonable.

67440dodge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 XL on order 67 Dodge Coronet 440
Occupation
Retired
My first one would have just ignored all email or voice mails..

Tizzzo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lead Foot Gray XLT 5.0 Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Veteran
Honestly with a little bit of digging and doing your homework you would have found the answer even here on the forums. You would have been asking people with real world experience since they own these trucks and may or may not have already tried what you were intending to do. I think just asking one salesman and committing to what they respond is taking they easy way out. You can’t expect them to know all the detailed specs about every vehicle they sell on the lot. If you ordered in July the answer was out there already as some people already had tried 17s and found them not to fit on the max tow package and it’s only because of the rear brakes. With that being said you can argue that he told you they would fit and they didn’t and now you lost money and see if they step up to help keep your business. Hopefully they meet you in the middle somehow.

Sponsored

Jus Cruisin

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 GMC Sierra Denali Ultimate 4X4 - 6.2l
Occupation
Very retired
Would you have not bought the truck if the salesman said no? Pretty sure you would have anyway. You'd sell what you have and buy different rims and tires if you decided you can't live without "winter" wheels and tires.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Salesmen almost never are the people to ask about tech specs, or really anything that isn’t on the window sticker…I’ve yet to meet one that has told me anything I didn’t know about the vehicle. Usually it’s “well it has heated seats, a turbo V6 engine, 4x4…do you want it or no?” To play devils advocate and give the sales person the benefit of the doubt, he probably was referring to the fact that the bolt pattern is the same from your 19 to your 21, which would be why he never asked the size. He assumed you were just asking if they’d mount up. I can’t say I knew 17s wouldn’t fit either.

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
Were you really going to try and swap out the brakes and rotors to somehow fit the old winter wheels? That seems a little backwards.

Like others have said, most sales reps are useless/clueless, I honestly would have just done my own research on the sizing. Sucks to be in your position, but the fitment of old winter wheels seems like a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

unscheduled clean

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150 tremor
I dont want to sound rude, but at the end of the day, if you are trying to do something to your property, some research should be involved. I dont think you're going to get the response you're looking for on a forum of people that are putting in more research and time about their own vehicles, that a lot dont even have yet, than most... it sucks that the sales guy didnt know for sure, and should have said that, but I would be floored if they give you anything for free because of it. Again not trying to be rude, but its your vehicle and your responsibility to find out what modifications YOU can do. Not the sales person.

OP
OP
Jonitto

Jonitto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Screw 6.5 XLT Sport
Occupation
Flight Engineer
Honestly with a little bit of digging and doing your homework you would have found the answer even here on the forums. You would have been asking people with real world experience since they own these trucks and may or may not have already tried what you were intending to do. I think just asking one salesman and committing to what they respond is taking they easy way out. You can’t expect them to know all the detailed specs about every vehicle they sell on the lot. If you ordered in July the answer was out there already as some people already had tried 17s and found them not to fit on the max tow package and it’s only because of the rear brakes. With that being said you can argue that he told you they would fit and they didn’t and now you lost money and see if they step up to help keep your business. Hopefully they meet you in the middle somehow.
I appreciate the honesty and I totally agree about the amount of time I had to figure out if the wheels would fit or not. I really wish I had not even asked the sales rep about the tires now and just done my own research. Lesson Learnt for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jonitto

Jonitto

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Screw 6.5 XLT Sport
Occupation
Flight Engineer
Were you really going to try and swap out the brakes and rotors to somehow fit the old winter wheels? That seems a little backwards.

Like others have said, most sales reps are useless/clueless, I honestly would have just done my own research on the sizing. Sucks to be in your position, but the fitment of old winter wheels seems like a pretty minor issue in the grand scheme of things.
Yes We were. in hind site, it does sound silly. In all honesty, I think I am mad I myself the most for not doing my own research as I normally do and blindly putting my trust in someone. As a 40 year old grown up I should have known better!!!

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150

I also think you were backwards on your thinking. Reducing brake size to fit wheels could be a disaster waiting to happen. Especially with towing a trailer.

Look at it as a lesson learned.

We had a Jeep dealership tell my wife the Cherokee we looked at was able to be remote started using your phone. After buying the vehicle we find out the vehicle has to have NAV for the remote start. We would not have purchased the vehicle otherwise. The dealership paid to have an aftermarket remote start installed.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
Some sales people don't know very much about what they're selling. They just want to make a sale. When I need to buy a vehicle I research the hell out of it before I go to a dealer to look at it. There are times when I know more about it than they do. I'm not picking on sales people but I like to get facts from reliable sources.

pkinneb

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 & 2018 MX5's, 2021 F150 PB Platinum
Some sales people don't know very much about what they're selling. They just want to make a sale. When I need to buy a vehicle I research the hell out of it before I go to a dealer to look at it. There are times when I know more about it than they do. I'm not picking on sales people but I like to get facts from reliable sources.
I've been in sales most of my career and it amazes me how little many sales folks know about what they are selling. Now I get it when someone like the folks on this forum come in they have no chance to know more then us but to not even have a rudimentary understanding of the vehicles is really quite ridiculous. The other thing for me is how many times have you pulled into a dealership and seen the sales reps standing around bs'ing its not like they don't have the time to learn a thing or two :p
Sponsored