• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How will you pay for your Lightning?

How do you expect to pay for your Lightning?

• Total voters

Deleted member 9341

That's better than no vehicle at all in most parts of America. Driving around in old beaters isn't a great idea either since car safety has improved a lot over the years.

Since interest rates are so low these days, it doesn't make much sense to dump all our cash into a new car. Instead, take a loan and put the cash in an index fund.
That made good sense until a week ago. Haha. Over time it’s still generally good logic though.
Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

Regardless of what happens, in the end... hopefully all of us on the list will get a Lightning (yes I am being hopeful).

When you are at the dealer, about the sign on the line... how will you pay?
Check

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
That made good sense until a week ago. Haha. Over time it’s still generally good logic though.
Are the interest rates going up or something? The rates would have to be pretty high (about 5% or so) to make buying with cash worth it.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Are the interest rates going up or something? The rates would have to be pretty high (about 5% or so) to make buying with cash worth it.
They might... by the time we pick it up it could be past 5%, or it could be still low... who knows.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
If you're going to pay cash in a region where Ford Options gives you a $2,500 rebate, or even where the rebate is $1,000, you simply are a bad manager of your money.

You take the rebate, thank Ford for it, and then the next week you pay off the loan. Those that ignore Ford Credit rebates, which is basically free money, because "I always pay cash", aren't thinking clearly.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Just saw this on YT:

Ford Senior Master

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Pro, 2023.5 MachE on the way
Occupation
Service Manager
But he would have paid the $25k either way. Either pay up front or in a payment over time
Sure... that is true if he maintains lease for the term. What happens when he is in an accident and totals the vehicle? He loses the 25K. It will not be recouped in the settlement. That is part of the problem with leases.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Sure... that is true if he maintains lease for the term. What happens when he is in an accident and totals the vehicle? He loses the 25K. It will not be recouped in the settlement. That is part of the problem with leases.
Be sure to get GAP insurance… it’s included with the RCL but not FO.

Deleted member 9341

i had a friend total a lease a few years ago. Insurance made the lessor whole and balance went to lessee. But maybe that’s changed.

Sponsored

Deleted member 9341

Mostly I was joking that the market is tanking badly last couple of weeks and index funds along with it. Haha. That said, rates have indeed been creeping up lately for sure and more increases in the hopper in 2022 as it looks today. By the time I get my truck I would certainly expect to be over 5%.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV

Deleted member 9341

Always ask for it.
I actually thought it was automatic now. Last few leases I had included it off the bat. Probably depends on leasing company, so yes always ask and get it. Came in handy when I had a leased BMW stolen awhile back.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You’re not accounting for the peace of mind and personal satisfaction that many people get from carrying no debt. And there’s absolutely no shortage of folks that have enough money such that saving a few grand as in this scenario is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme of their finances.
Debt for a week for $2,500? You're kidding, right? That's poor financial skills.
Sponsored