• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How will you pay for your Lightning?

How do you expect to pay for your Lightning?

• Total voters

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So I just thought of something... what if you order your vehicle, and when you go pick it up you are denied for financing and you have no one else besides your spouse to help you out with the credit application.
Same as when you go to purchase any vehicle and can't afford it / can't get financing. The dealer keeps it and sells it to someone else.
Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I believe that's what the Wave Ordering process is hoping to avoid. They are matching orders to specific build capacity hoping to avoid the MME issues.
That would be great! Let's hope it works out.

OP
OP
SmoothJ

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Same as when you go to purchase any vehicle and can't afford it / can't get financing. The dealer keeps it and sells it to someone else.
Yea, I know... just would stink to wait all this time, and not being able to get what you waited for.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Ford Options, get all rebates possible (State, throw tax return at it, Ford Options?) and then finance the loan with DCU for 1.24% for 72 months.
I think that rate at DCU is good for up to 65 months. 72 month rate is 2.24%

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
Yea, I know... just would stink to wait all this time, and not being able to get what you waited for.
Probably lose your deposit too. Need to figure the affordability before signing the order agreement, but even so circumstances can and do change. Few people absolutely need a new truck/vehicle. I've gotten by buying mostly used cars.

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I can see the appeal of the Ford Options plan. It looks like a lease by another name with different ownership options to collect the tax rebate. I don’t want to pay the extra fees involved for the leasing option, but will look at the numbers when the time comes. If I were past the 200K to get the tax rebate I would certainly consider leasing a vehicle like this.

I’ll probably put 20% down and finance the rest at the lowest rate possible for no longer than 60 months and then pay it off in 1-2 years because I remembered how much I hate car payments. If the truck ends up being a dog on resale value maybe I’ll take my lumps, but hopefully I’ll be able to figure that out for myself while resale demand is strong. The key might be getting rid of it before Lightning 2.0 is announced.

So I just thought of something... what if you order your vehicle, and when you go pick it up you are denied for financing and you have no one else besides your spouse to help you out with the credit application.
If this is a significant concern you probably shouldn’t be buying a new $40-90K vehicle?

Last edited:

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
If it's anything like the MME, I don't see why everyone wouldn't use Ford Options. Get an extra amount off, then refinance out of/pay off if you want.
With ford options are they giving you the federal credit off the top or do we still file for it?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
If it's anything like the MME, I don't see why everyone wouldn't use Ford Options. Get an extra amount off, then refinance out of/pay off if you want.
The biggest downside to Options would be you end up paying more in interest. Especially if you carry it to the full term and then refinance the remainder for even longer.

jtownsend2266

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Whatever has the lowest interest rate/fees.
Same here. My local credit union's interest rate is half of what Ford is advertising on B&P

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
With ford options are they giving you the federal credit off the top or do we still file for it?
Currently, you will have to file for it. With the Options plan, you own the vehicle.
If things stay the same as with the mme, then Ford will not offer a traditional lease. If you lease through a third party you will need to find out if they will pass through the tax credit.

Tax credit is subject to change by the end of 2022 so things could be different come tax time.

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
Really depends on timing of everything and what's happening with interest rates. Will be trading in my current F150 and it's paid for. So that's a sizable down payment. I like the idea of Ford options (did a similar thing in the past with an Audi that I turned back in rather then pay the ballon payment, car was actually worth less on the market then the ballon payment, so it was easier to just walk away). Technology and options are going to change fast and in 3 years, I'm sure I'll be itching to get into a newer truck.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Same here. My local credit union's interest rate is half of what Ford is advertising on B&P
Don't go by B&P - that is known to be wrong. Ford is offering 1.4% for the GT and 2.9% for all else for the Mach-e

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
The biggest downside to Options would be you end up paying more in interest. Especially if you carry it to the full term and then refinance the remainder for even longer.
I don't know what is happening with it now, but when I was buying MME, Ford gave out either $1,000 or $2,500 rebate for people using Optons financing. That negated or significantly reduce difference in total interest.

gwrace14651

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Ford Excursion 4x4 PSD
Our last two vehicles were purchased with 60 month zero percent financing. I don't expect that with the Lightning or the Silverado EV. I do know I'm not paying 90-105K for any pickup truck. As Dave Ramsey says buying any vehicle is the worst investment you can make.
Sponsored