First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker

Of the many new features present in the 2021 Ford F-150, the truck’s ability to receive over-the-air updates is undoubtedly one of the most intriguing. Thanks to its new FNV electrical architecture, the new Ford F-150 can receive constant updates without ever leaving the garage, adding features and getting better over time. And for those who are curious about how these over-the-air updates will actually work, Ford has released an informative video explaining all of that.

Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video 150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-001-1024x519

The updates are delivered to the 2021 F-150 through FordPass Connect, via the truck’s onboard modem or Wi-Fi. Updates are set to download automatically by default, which is the easiest and quickest way to ensure the truck remains up-to-date at all times.

However, if the feature is switched off, it’s pretty easy to turn it back on. To do that, navigate to settings on the infotainment screen, then select system updates, then verify that the automatic updates slider is in the “on” position.

Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video 150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-002-1024x526

Automatic over-the-air updates require that the vehicle be parked with the ignition turned off. When an update is ready, the infotainment screen will notify owners within 24 hours of a scheduled update. Another notification will arrive via email or through the FordPass app 12 hours before the update is applied.

Then, owners simply need to ensure that the truck is connected to Wi-Fi, and can schedule the update to occur at a time when the vehicle won’t be driven, if needed, such as overnight. To set the schedule, go to settings, system updates, and schedule updates. Here, a specific time and date can be set for the update to occur.

Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video 150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-003-1024x520

After the update has installed, the vehicle will notify the owner and provide information about the update. If for some reason the update doesn’t install properly, the vehicle will also notify the owner, at which point it can be rescheduled.

However, if the owner doesn’t want to perform over-the-air updates at all, the 2021 F-150 can still be updated at a Ford dealership, the good old-fashioned way.
Sponsored

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
Very first thing I’m doing is turning OFF automatic updates. I don’t trust Ford to not brick my truck ?

I’ll always wait awhile after an update launches before I let it get pushed to my f150.
Agashi25 - I can tell you from firsthand experience that the OTA updates which Tesla provides have changed the way I look at cars. We're essentially driving computers with all of the new safety features - on all new vehicles. And the Tesla engineers' ability to tweak, correct, improve, add easter eggs, etc., has made their cars not only safer, but more fun to own.

Here are some examples of OTA updates to Teslas, just off of the top of my head (I'm sure they are all available on the Tesla.com site): changing speed of auto wipers, ability to raise and lower windows remotely, acceleration, battery adjustments, the ability to record and playback from all of the cameras while the car is unattended (sentry mode) - which is huge in catching and deterring idiots who may seek to harm your ride, adding Spotify to streaming services, adding Netflix (only while parked), adding the ability to keep the ac running while away from the vehicle to keep your four-legged friends cool, updating maps.

Do I trust Ford's engineers as much as I trust Tesla's? Not a chance. And I'll probably turn off the auto-updates too, until we're certain, as a community, that Ford's people are up to the task. I'm excited about it, however. The idea of no longer needing to go to the stealer-ship to get an update is the way all cars will be, soon enough. The all -electric F150 will really gain from this (like Tesla).

Exciting stuff.

2017 Silver Lobo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 XLT and 1988 Mustang GT
Occupation
Machinist
Very first thing I’m doing is turning OFF automatic updates. I don’t trust Ford to not brick my truck ?

I’ll always wait awhile after an update launches before I let it get pushed to my f150.
I agree with you here. While I had a 20 Fusion Hybrid for a loaner whilst they did warranty work to my 17 XLT F-150. Right after I got a hybrid to do a small burnout the car alerted me that OTA update was turned on and it was collecting data. Kinda spooked me, a great idea for rental cars though.

futuretrunks

First Name
Jewelrean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
honda accord ‘18 ford bronco ‘21
Occupation
manager

Of the many new features present in the 2021 Ford F-150, the truck’s ability to receive over-the-air updates is undoubtedly one of the most intriguing. Thanks to its new FNV electrical architecture, the new Ford F-150 can receive constant updates without ever leaving the garage, adding features and getting better over time. And for those who are curious about how these over-the-air updates will actually work, Ford has released an informative video explaining all of that.

150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-001-1024x519.jpg

The updates are delivered to the 2021 F-150 through FordPass Connect, via the truck’s onboard modem or Wi-Fi. Updates are set to download automatically by default, which is the easiest and quickest way to ensure the truck remains up-to-date at all times.

However, if the feature is switched off, it’s pretty easy to turn it back on. To do that, navigate to settings on the infotainment screen, then select system updates, then verify that the automatic updates slider is in the “on” position.

150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-002-1024x526.jpg

Automatic over-the-air updates require that the vehicle be parked with the ignition turned off. When an update is ready, the infotainment screen will notify owners within 24 hours of a scheduled update. Another notification will arrive via email or through the FordPass app 12 hours before the update is applied.

Then, owners simply need to ensure that the truck is connected to Wi-Fi, and can schedule the update to occur at a time when the vehicle won’t be driven, if needed, such as overnight. To set the schedule, go to settings, system updates, and schedule updates. Here, a specific time and date can be set for the update to occur.

150-Over-The-Air-Updates-How-To-Video-003-1024x520.jpg

After the update has installed, the vehicle will notify the owner and provide information about the update. If for some reason the update doesn’t install properly, the vehicle will also notify the owner, at which point it can be rescheduled.

However, if the owner doesn’t want to perform over-the-air updates at all, the 2021 F-150 can still be updated at a Ford dealership, the good old-fashioned way.
Can you decline an update completely? Also, if you need to drive the vehicle during the update, are you screwed or will the update pause?

Sponsored

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Maybe is just because I’m used to either a 4” infotainment screen or none at all in my vehicles, but damn that Sync4 user interface looks gorgeous!! I think it’ll probably be a new standard when compared with other manufacturer’s operating systems!!

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Can you decline an update completely? Also, if you need to drive the vehicle during the update, are you screwed or will the update pause?
I’m guessing you probably can decline an update, but if it’s anything like gaming systems or computers (which it probably is), you won’t have access to hardly any of the Sync features and internet related apps, i.e. navigation, satellite radio, Apple/Android Auto, etc., until you decide (are forced) to update.

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
There may be warranty issues with declining an update. Guess we'll need to read the fine print. No. you can't drive during an update. Most OTA updates arrive at night, or you can schedule when the update will occur (speaking from Tesla experience). The take 20-60 minutes, depending on the update. The first few times it happens, it's actually exciting to get back in the car and read the release notes to see what they've done to make improvements.

OP
OP
snoshuu

snoshuu

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT FX4/Sport(302A) -5.0- Velocity Blue
Occupation
Troublemaker
From page 597 & 598 of the Owner's Manual.....

Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video OTA01
Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video OTA02

Should answer most questions posted so far.

Last edited:

Mrtosh

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150 powerboost
Do you have to be connected to wifi for the system to update? Or will it notify you to connect to wifi for an update? Hate the idea of having it connected to wifi the whole time at home.

Sponsored

rpeterslll

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat FX4 Sport
Occupation
IT Professional
has anyone found where Ford publishes the release notes for the OTA updates? Or are we just stuck with "bug fixes" as an official description of an update?

Bo15

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch 4x4, 2010 F-150 Platinum 4x4
I have left mine in Manual. Still haven't seen any update icons. Check for updates and it says up to date.
Ford F-150 How To Use Over-The-Air (OTA) Updates In The 2021 Ford F-150: Video IMG_2029.PNG

Jack in Prescott

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat PB, 2014 Mazda3
Don't have the Lariat yet...so could someone please describe how one 'connects the vehicle to wifi' from within Sync4. I've yet to see that explained. Many thanks.

Jack

mmdpg

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Bullitt Mustang, 2021 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
CONNECTING THE VEHICLE TO A WI-FI NETWORK
Select the settings option on the feature bar.
1. Press Connectivity.
2. Press Manage Wi-Fi Networks.
3. Switch System Wi-Fi on.
4. Press View Available Networks. 5. Select an available Wi-Fi network. Note: Enter the network password to connect to a secure network.
Sponsored