Sponsored

AMG

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 PLATINUM POWERBOOST 2022
I finally figured out a way to use Carplay via a wired connection. My goal was to skip the wireless Carplay feature so that I could stream lossless audio to the B&O unleashed audio system in my truck.

As usual the eager salesperson at the dealership initially connected my iphone via the Bluetooth based wireless Carplay. Bluetooth degrades the audio quality and currently is not capable of transmitting lossless audio.

I had to start all over. First I went to the iphone settings and deleted the truck from the list of Carplay devices. Then before I turned on my truck, I connected the Iphone to the B&O system via the front USB input. Pressed the start button to turn on the truck. In a few moments the new Carplay setup was completed. It asked me for permission to grant access to the iphone- which i did. The next question was- do I want to continue with USB input or switch to wireless, I chose USB.

It was a instant upgrade to the audio quality. I do have lossless and spatial audio enabled in my iphone. I do use apple music as my streaming service.
Sponsored

air2mag

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum
Thanks for sharing this. I plan on the same setup if I ever get my truck. It amazes me how many people complain about the audio system, but feed it compressed signals.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
if you simply turn off bluetooth and wifi on your iphone then plug in the phone it’ll connect automatically to Apple Carplay Lol.

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
CarPlay is not bluetooth based. It's wifi based. Bluetooth cannot support the bandwidth required for CarPlay. Blue tooth is only used to discover the head unit, after that the phone and the headhunt use wifi to communicate.

Mladen5375

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 lariat powerboost, 2018 G80 Sport 3.3T
Occupation
Engineer
CarPlay is not bluetooth based. It's wifi based. Bluetooth cannot support the bandwidth required for CarPlay. Blue tooth is only used to discover the head unit, after that the phone and the headhunt use wifi to communicate.
My man, hook me up with the drugs you're using, seems like they really work!

Sponsored

OP
OP

AMG

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Apple support has stated on its Apple music support forums that wireless Carplay does not transmit lossless audio, so the actual methodology of how Carplay works does not matter to the unwashed masses.

OP
OP

AMG

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
if you simply turn off bluetooth and wifi on your iphone then plug in the phone it’ll connect automatically to Apple Carplay Lol.
Is this a one time and done solution or will one have to perform these steps everytime one gets in the truck?

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
I finally figured out a way to use Carplay via a wired connection. My goal was to skip the wireless Carplay feature so that I could stream lossless audio to the B&O unleashed audio system in my truck.

As usual the eager salesperson at the dealership initially connected my iphone via the Bluetooth based wireless Carplay. Bluetooth degrades the audio quality and currently is not capable of transmitting lossless audio.

I had to start all over. First I went to the iphone settings and deleted the truck from the list of Carplay devices. Then before I turned on my truck, I connected the Iphone to the B&O system via the front USB input. Pressed the start button to turn on the truck. In a few moments the new Carplay setup was completed. It asked me for permission to grant access to the iphone- which i did. The next question was- do I want to continue with USB input or switch to wireless, I chose USB.

It was a instant upgrade to the audio quality. I do have lossless and spatial audio enabled in my iphone. I do use apple music as my streaming service.
To add on to this, I run my audio the same way (USB-C to Lightning) and for a while I felt that while the sound was good, it didn't have quite as much top end volume. Turned out I had "Sound Check" enabled on my iPhone for Apple Music. That does volume leveling so all tracks sound equally loud. Well I must have one or two really loud tracks because it was pulling down the volume on everything. My "normal" listening volume on the truck went from 21 to 11 after the change. :)

Just putting it out there if someone else is feeling that it is doesn't have enough kick.

bgalakazam

First Name
Lubo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 500A Lariat 4x4 5.0L
How to listen to lossless on your iPhone or iPad

What you need
You can listen to lossless on an iPhone or iPad updated to the latest version of iOS or iPadOS using:
  • A wired connection to headphones, receivers, or powered speakers
  • The built-in speakers
  • To listen to songs at sample rates higher than 48 kHz, you need an external digital-to-analog converter.
Can I listen to lossless audio using CarPlay?
You can listen to lossless audio with CarPlay using a USB connection. Streaming lossless audio in a car over a cellular network will consume significantly more data.
Stick to wired if you want lossless, or plug in a USB stick with lossless tracks.

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
To add on to this, I run my audio the same way (USB-C to Lightning) and for a while I felt that while the sound was good, it didn't have quite as much top end volume. Turned out I had "Sound Check" enabled on my iPhone for Apple Music. That does volume leveling so all tracks sound equally loud. Well I must have one or two really loud tracks because it was pulling down the volume on everything. My "normal" listening volume on the truck went from 21 to 11 after the change. :)

Just putting it out there if someone else is feeling that it is doesn't have enough kick.
I see what you did there. 😉

thudnblunder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Occupation
Cloud Software Architect
Is this a one time and done solution or will one have to perform these steps everytime one gets in the truck?
One and done, you plug in the cable and unlock the phone to start Carplay.

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
What about Android auto? I was so excited for wireless but the sq is better wired?

RocketFistMooga

First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
I am going to try this today. I have really been enjoying the unleashed system and I am floored that I have not been using it to its full potential. I have lossless and spatial enabled and figured it was working without problems. Very Excited. But also.....why can't they make the necessary updated to make it work wirelessly? If I can stream 4K video via wifi I would think a lossless audio file wouldn't be a problem.
Sponsored