Sponsored

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Mine generally has worked, but not recently. I keep getting messages in FordPass that say “you’ll get an update on Sat night” but then it doesn’t happen. I then get another message that says “you’ll get an update Sunday night” and so on, but they never happen. I have auto updates enabled and, as I said, they always worked in the past and I haven’t changed anything. I also should mention I have enterprise-grade WiFi that is rock solid and very fast. Any ideas?
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN

Lpetters84

First Name
Landon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum FX4 5.0
Just to confirm. Is it possible to receive all Bluecruise updates without actually going to the dealer? Because I’m on vacation this week and planned to drop off my truck so they could have it all week for the scheduled Bluecruise update and yesterday as I’m dropping the thing off they said they cant do the update yet because they are having issues with the update. Not a total loss because I had 3 recalls so I went ahead and left it. I would just prefer not to have to drop it off for another week.

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT Scab 3.5 EB 6.5 Carbonized Grey Metallic
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have no beef with Sync4. I like it. And with Alexa, me and the grandkids are having a good time in the truck. (Although listening to Let It Go & We Don't Talk About Bruno, are both getting old for Pawpaw. :)

And Android Auto works very nicely with Sync4, so I'm already "Android", so to speak.

If Ford was to ask me personally what I want, I'd tell them an agnostic touchscreen that let me cast to it.
Of course there would still need to be all the native vehicle features and UI.
Speaking about Android Auto.... Wife and I were out this morning, having a conversation, when Android Auto spoke up and said it could not help. The thing is, I did not have it connected to my phone nor did I say the wake words. It was in to the dealer on Tuesday for a few issues but no updates that I know of. They did have FDRS connected to align the rear camera, which they found was loose, for the Backup Assist. Can someone check and see what they did, if anything? My VIN is 1FTFX1E81MKE01710. Thank you in advance.

Ford52Pu

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1952 Ford F1
Occupation
Retired
Hello everyone
I have had a very basic XL on order since March, one of these I’ll get it. I’ve been reading a lot of these posts trying to learn things like this. Do these updates occur on all new F150’s? I’m getting the 5.0 not a PB or hybrid. My last new truck was a 97 F150 and I currently have a very basic 2013 Frontier so I’m way out of touch.
Any tips?
Thanks

platinum17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Just to confirm. Is it possible to receive all Bluecruise updates without actually going to the dealer? Because I’m on vacation this week and planned to drop off my truck so they could have it all week for the scheduled Bluecruise update and yesterday as I’m dropping the thing off they said they cant do the update yet because they are having issues with the update. Not a total loss because I had 3 recalls so I went ahead and left it. I would just prefer not to have to drop it off for another week.
From what I understand, yes you can get it via OTA. I believe that a few members have already received the updates OTA. I'm currently still waiting and will wait until I receive the updates OTA.

Sponsored

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Never miss a software update!
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.

MORE INFO ADDED BY @flip at Bronco6G.com

Depending on the update the vehicle requires, there are two installation processes:

Driveable Updates
  • Some updates can complete seamlessly in the background. They replace a part of software without impacting the rest of the system
  • SYNC 4 Technology is fully functional while the update is downloading
  • If the Automatic Updates are On, a message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen informing the driver of the update and if Wi-Fi is required
  • If Automatic Updates are Off, a message will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen asking the driver to confirm the update and if Wi‑Fi is required
  • The update will automatically complete in the background. If consent or a Wi‑Fi connection is required, an icon will appear in the touchscreen's upper status bar
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the update or view details on the FordPass App or owner.ford.com
  • If the update fails or if Ford decides to revert to a previous software version, the system will go back to its previous version. Customers will be notified if the update fails, expires or is canceled in-vehicle
Non-driveable Updates
  • The majority of Ford Power-Up software updates will be considered non-driveable updates (parked with the ignition off). This means that the update will erase the system or module and replace it with the latest version of the software
  • The vehicle will not be driveable during this time and the update may take up to 45 minutes to complete. Any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when customers find it most convenient
  • When a recurring schedule is set, customers will receive an in-vehicle reminder notification at first key cycle within 24 hours of the update. The vehicle will display another notification two minutes before the update begins
  • Scheduling is required to ensure that the updates occur at a convenient time when the customer chooses and when the vehicle is not in use
    • If the vehicle is in use, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. Customers will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful
    • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during the updates
    • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the updates
  • Customers can also check the status of an update in their FordPass App or on owner.ford.com

Manual Update System Details
Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
If Automatic Updates are Off, updates are not installed automatically and require the customer to review and approve each update. The vehicle may require important Ford Power-Up software updates, therefore, this method is not recommended.
  • When a new update is available, the customer will see an icon on the in-vehicle touchscreen status bar. To review the update, tap the icon for details to proceed
  • Once the update is reviewed, a notification will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen with information about how long the installation will take. After that, an "Update Ready Install" icon is accessible on the status bar
  • The driver can tap "Update" on the in-vehicle touchscreen to begin installation
  • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during non-driveable updates
  • Preconditions may be required for certain updates. If the preconditions are not met, the customer will be notified and the update will not complete
  • If the updates were completed successfully, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen when the vehicle is restarted. The customer can click the notification icon to read details about the update
What button do I need to press to get you to send the updates regularly and reliably?

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
SYNC OTA notifications / updates are always hit or miss.

It’s best to just check via the Owner.Ford.com website.

Doofus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat
  1. Set a recurring schedule: For more complex software updates, your vehicle cannot be driven during the installation (typically up to 1 hour). We recommend setting a recurring schedule for a time when your vehicle is not needed (like overnight).
  2. Confirm you have Automatic Updates ON: Most software updates happen in the background while you are driving as long as you have automatic updates toggled ON. This setting is ON by default but we ask that you check your settings screen to confirm.
Both actions can be completed from the settings screen in your vehicle. Click here for step by step instructions.

Depending on the update the vehicle requires, there are two installation processes:

Driveable Updates
  • Some updates can complete seamlessly in the background. They replace a part of software without impacting the rest of the system
  • If the Automatic Updates are On, a message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen informing the driver of the update and if Wi-Fi is required
  • If Automatic Updates are Off, a message will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen asking the driver to confirm the update and if Wi‑Fi is required
  • The update will automatically complete in the background. If consent or a Wi‑Fi connection is required, an icon will appear in the touchscreen's upper status bar
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the update or view details on the FordPass App or owner.ford.com
  • If the update fails or if Ford decides to revert to a previous software version, the system will go back to its previous version. Customers will be notified if the update fails, expires or is canceled in-vehicle
Non-driveable Updates
  • The majority of Ford Power-Up software updates will be considered non-driveable updates (parked with the ignition off). This means that the update will erase the system or module and replace it with the latest version of the software
  • The vehicle will not be driveable during this time and the update may take up to 45 minutes to complete. Any updates that may require the vehicle to be parked can be scheduled to take place when customers find it most convenient
  • When a recurring schedule is set, customers will receive an in-vehicle reminder notification at first key cycle within 24 hours of the update. The vehicle will display another notification two minutes before the update begins
  • Scheduling is required to ensure that the updates occur at a convenient time when the customer chooses and when the vehicle is not in use
    • If the vehicle is in use, the system will not update and will automatically postpone to the next scheduled time. Customers will receive a notification that the update was unsuccessful
    • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during the updates
  • When the vehicle is restarted, an "Update Successful" icon will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen. The customer can tap the notification icon to read details about the updates
  • Customers can also check the status of an update in their FordPass App or on owner.ford.com

Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
If Automatic Updates are Off, updates are not installed automatically and require the customer to review and approve each update. The vehicle may require important Ford Power-Up software updates, therefore, this method is not recommended.
  • When a new update is available, the customer will see an icon on the in-vehicle touchscreen status bar. To review the update, tap the icon for details to proceed
  • Once the update is reviewed, a notification will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen with information about how long the installation will take. After that, an "Update Ready Install" icon is accessible on the status bar
  • The driver can tap "Update" on the in-vehicle touchscreen to begin installation
  • If the vehicle is not in use, a “Preparing Updates” message will appear in the in-vehicle touchscreen and a two-minute countdown will begin. Customers will be prompted to exit the vehicle and lock it, as it will be disarmed during non-driveable updates
  • If the updates were completed successfully, an "Update Successful" icon will appear on the in-vehicle touchscreen when the vehicle is restarted. The customer can click the notification icon to read details about the update
No way in hell’s half acre am I turning on OTA updates. Ford’s history with software and electronics is pretty atrocious. Dealer will do all updates. Then, if Ford bricks my truck, it’s on them and already where it needs to be for repair.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Not me. My mission in ownership of this truck is to avoid, with extreme effort, the dealership service department.
At least long enough for them to get some experience.

Of course warranty repairs could have me eating crow, but that's not going to be software related. I'll handle those things myself, thanks to this forum.

Cincy150

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SC Sport
Occupation
Application Engineer
Mine generally has worked, but not recently. I keep getting messages in FordPass that say “you’ll get an update on Sat night” but then it doesn’t happen. I then get another message that says “you’ll get an update Sunday night” and so on, but they never happen. I have auto updates enabled and, as I said, they always worked in the past and I haven’t changed anything. I also should mention I have enterprise-grade WiFi that is rock solid and very fast. Any ideas?
Do you have it set on a schedule? One of the recommendations I was given is that if you set a schedule, not to set it at exactly Midnight.

Sponsored

don.mullins

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 3.5 Powerboost Platinum
Huh, never seen this before. Good to know it’s not all pixie dust!
The reason we are prompted on this particular update is because the vehicle is not able to be used during the update process. It does not happen for updates that can happen seamlessly while using the truck.

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Oh you lucky people that have a fixed sync 4 system. My dealer has tried twice to get mine fixed. They ordered another new cable and I will be checking with them this week for a third attempt. I guess if this one does not take I will tell Ford to just send my dealer a complete new unit since mine is without a doubt a lemon.:mad:

hardlyevr

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Retired

Driveable Updates
Non-driveable Updates

Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
I have followed this

Driveable Updates
Non-driveable Updates

Non-driveable Updates

NOTE:
I have exactly followed this procedure, but remain stuck on version 2.1.1. Can you please tell the group what the most current version is, and why most of us do not update.

blackhawkrider

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' F-150 PowerBoost
I have followed this

I have exactly followed this procedure, but remain stuck on version 2.1.1. Can you please tell the group what the most current version is, and why most of us do not update.
I'm in the same boat. I'm in a 500a Powerboost 4x4 SCREW with 7.2 generator. Is your rig similar?
Sponsored