First Name
J.F.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
Occupation
Director, Software Development
If Ford is to be successful at this, they need to hire someone with some Software development/delivery experience. Tesla just dumped 10% of their salaried employees. Pick up some of them so they can do it better (esp if any upper management was let go).

Or better yet. Just scalp someone from Tesla.
i would jump at leading a group to fix these issues! I’m no Tesla alum but some would say I’ve been known to “get sh1t done” 😂

Kidding (kinda) - I do love my current job though!
Sponsored

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Three tries from dealer and nothing would take. Got a new APIM installed and updates are scheduled and on Truck in garage about 8 feet from router. Almost three weeks and NOTHING.
I just wonder "If Ever."

2drunk2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost XLT
Well, technically you never miss an update if they don't send them... I had my first set of updates in what feels like forever come through this week, with yesterday being 2.7.4. Seems like I am still behind on a few updates. 21 job 1 truck.

• Haha
Reactions: GDN

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
A Job1 truck that was otherwise uptodate today would now be eligible for the APIM update released just moments ago.

It will catch the 2021 up to the current 2022 Job2 trucks coming off the line.
Alexa
Full screen Android Auto and Car Play

Don't know when that might be pushed out OTA? It's hefty ~6Gigs and would require a very healthy battery.

apMechorse

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A 5.0L FX4 & '15 Audi A5 T2
Occupation
Aircraft Maintenance Technician
A Job1 truck that was otherwise uptodate today would now be eligible for the APIM update released just moments ago.

It will catch the 2021 up to the current 2022 Job2 trucks coming off the line.
Alexa
Full screen Android Auto and Car Play

Don't know when that might be pushed out OTA? It's hefty ~6Gigs and would require a very healthy battery.
Something for me to look forward to over the next year then! Considering I'm sitting at 2.1.0 and that was my only OTA update since new, I'm not exactly holding my breath. Would be nice though, considering when I check it says I'm up to date.

Sponsored

towpro

First Name
will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat Powerboost
am I the only one with a May 2022 truck not receiving this update with the new Screen?

I know OTA works because I received one 9/17 for the one that says "this update makes your truck ready to receive more updates".
I have special rules in my home firewall (palo alto) so I can watch the updates
Ford is currently doing many upgrades on our 2020 Escape hybrid.
1/2 gig on 11/16, 1 gig 11/17, 32M 11/18, .5 gig, than 1 Gig on 11/19.
hell this should be a brand new vehicle by the time they are done (wish they could take the dent out of it)

all I ever see the F150 do is a couple DNS lookups than calling home to ford on 443 with a 10K keep alive
NOTE: the Escape updates are all port 80, (not encrypted) to amazonAWS network.
the F150 also makes calls on 80 to AWS but never more tan 2.5K.

I guess Ford just don't feel like updating my 2022 truck

Reactions: GDN

FordPrefect

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 F150 Platinum PB, R1200RT, Fuell Flluid
With stories like this, it is no wonder why these trucks have software updating issues.

https://www.teslarati.com/former-tesla-employees-new-home-apple-rivian-lucid-amazon-report/

"More than 450 employees of Tesla left the company in the 90 days that ended on June 30"

"According to LinkedIn statistics, 90 former Tesla employees have joined Rivian and Lucid Motors. Only eight ex-Tesla employees seemed to have transferred to more established automakers like Ford and General Motors."

1657272500490.png
Speaking as someone who once made that trek (though well before that time frame), it does have a lot to do with recruiting effort. I went from Tesla to Google in 2018. I was a program manager at Tesla (and in, fact, one of a very small group who authorized and pushed updates to cars). Google called me at the perfect time - I'd started to feel really burned out. Apple, Amazon, and Meta all have really good (and large) internal full-time technical recruiting teams. Ford? I have doubts.

There is quite an art to choosing which vehicles get OTA updates and which don't, when any given new version is released, and there's also an art to timing what gets what when. There is also a whole bunch of tech involved in crafting update packages that are vehicle-configuration-specific, so that you're not trying to send the same big fat payload to everything in the fleet, or putting the wrong code in a car. I can imagine Ford falling down on things like that. I had access to outstanding tools, infrastructure and technical talent that took pride in making sure any Tesla that would benefit would get the right updates. Ford? I have doubts.

Here's one I have no doubts about, though. At Tesla in 2018, I was personally sweating over the problem of addressing the then-small vehicle population that wasn't getting updates. I had facts from our systems, and created metrics. I did investigations, found common causes, and prioritized solutions, so that more vehicles would always be up to date. I led that effort, but I had ton of help and support. From reading this thread, it really doesn't look like Ford has anybody with the latitude (or perhaps the tools) to go after that problem. Yet, at least. C'mon, Ford! Help some of your folks step into OTA update reliability!

Doggy-Dog

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Pacifica Limited & 2021 Loaded Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Well, technically you never miss an update if they don't send them... I had my first set of updates in what feels like forever come through this week, with yesterday being 2.7.4. Seems like I am still behind on a few updates. 21 job 1 truck.
Really. Then when in hell is Ford going to send updates for my truck? It has been over two months since the new APIM installed and "supposedly" fixed the SYNC bug. Someone here that took my vin and checked stated the software is still screwed up and Ford says it is not. So I still get nothing.

BoilerTimmay

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 SCREW 3.5L
am I the only one with a May 2022 truck not receiving this update with the new Screen?

I know OTA works because I received one 9/17 for the one that says "this update makes your truck ready to receive more updates".
I have special rules in my home firewall (palo alto) so I can watch the updates
Ford is currently doing many upgrades on our 2020 Escape hybrid.
1/2 gig on 11/16, 1 gig 11/17, 32M 11/18, .5 gig, than 1 Gig on 11/19.
hell this should be a brand new vehicle by the time they are done (wish they could take the dent out of it)

all I ever see the F150 do is a couple DNS lookups than calling home to ford on 443 with a 10K keep alive
NOTE: the Escape updates are all port 80, (not encrypted) to amazonAWS network.
the F150 also makes calls on 80 to AWS but never more tan 2.5K.

I guess Ford just don't feel like updating my 2022 truck
What traffic are you watching for? Anything from ford.com or something more specific? Thanks.

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
Has it been verified that you need to have the truck locked to have an OTA be applied?? The non-drivable types??

I park in my own personal garage and never lock my truck, I take the key inside with me, but it's unlocked all the time. Should I be locking it in my garage to get OTA's??

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Has it been verified that you need to have the truck locked to have an OTA be applied?? The non-drivable types??

I park in my own personal garage and never lock my truck, I take the key inside with me, but it's unlocked all the time. Should I be locking it in my garage to get OTA's??
Not 100% sure, but anytime I have gotten an OTA, my truck has been locked, so I would lock it.

speedracercjr

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat EB
Occupation
O&G
Not 100% sure, but anytime I have gotten an OTA, my truck has been locked, so I would lock it.
I got an OTA today and did have my vehicle locked. I was away from it for about an hour, so it had plenty of time to download and install (or maybe it was already downloaded).

Big Cam

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Tremor 402a
Occupation
Support Engineer
I got an OTA today and did have my vehicle locked. I was away from it for about an hour, so it had plenty of time to download and install (or maybe it was already downloaded).
You didn't get a notification that there was an update? Or does it only do that for the big ones where you can't drive your truck?
Sponsored