Sponsored

How to improve PB cooling???

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I constantly troll my coworkers by telling them I'll apply for the same (internal) jobs they do using ChatGPT.
multimodal is tits. Here it reading wiring diagrams, told it to ignore the grounds
Ford F-150 How to improve PB cooling??? 1697064119494
Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I didn't see anything mentioned in regards to just how exactly the extra fluid capacity does anything when it's not changing the pickup location.
Missed that important note there. Now I'm wondering what I missed during the meeting while I was reading your post? lol

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Missed that important note there. Now I'm wondering what I missed during the meeting while I was reading your post? lol
You should look into meeting tools that record and summarize it all for ya so you have more time to play.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Indeed. The F150's radiator is marginal because they want you to buy a 250 that's not required for what can be done. Toyota doesn't have another more $ truck to sell you so they went ahead and put an adequate cooling package for all conditions, not 'most' conditions. The weight / balance / power of the 3.5, particularly the powerboost is sufficient for its ratings.

Funny thing, the police interceptor XL has the raptor's dual mode transmission thermal management system with front mounted air/oil and frame mounted oil/water.
The raptor and police XL with aux coolers have them mounted where the PB's aux HV loop cooler is present. The radiator seems to be the best option. I've spent many hours looking into this. Even w/ the raptor's lines (raptor and XL police same thing) to the heat exchanger on the K area of the frame (where coolant and trans fluid meet for heating), the oil still needs something that you'd have to come up with for mounting of an aux oil rad below the HV loop. There's no bolt on solution in that regards though I imagine it won't be too difficult to come up. Thus as such for the time / money / effort / parts / and tinkering, the silver bullet here, despite being $800, is still the logical solution of the larger rad.

As for compatibility, yes it will fit. The PB's rad is the same as the others. Even the the HV loop is sitting where the raptor / XL-P is, mounting in the same holes. The trans plate heat exchanger isn't bad, it's just limited by the fact the coolant is hot because a 3.5L TT getting 4mpg is creating 1.3mil BTUs.
It would be interesting to see if someone ends up doing a DIY retrofit for a non-PowerBoost F150. I wonder what the parts cost would be and whether any programming modifications have to occur (or whether this is purely a mechanical upgrade).

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Gros Ventre

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Powerboost
Had a recent transmission overheat. Was climbing over South Pass in Wyoming. Had the truck in Manual & gear 8. Had not seen a problem in the past so had the gauges on oil pressure and boost pressure. After I topped out from the 3rd peak, I selected the boost back to transmission temperature. Wow... the transmission temperature was red and the needle pegged. Since I was on the flat now I just let it cool down and it was back to normal in less than 5 minutes. Pulled into a rest stop and idled for 10 minutes or so. When I checked there was small puddle of transmission fluid, maybe 2" diameter. nothing abnormal from there on. Ambient temperatures were maybe 70ºF and had no real load in the truck. So lesson learned on selecting gears and gauges. Still this makes me wonder about the OEM cooling arrangement.

Last edited:

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
Had a recent transmission overheat. Was climbing over South Pass in Wyoming. Had the truck in Manual & gear 8. Had not seen a problem in the past so had the gauges on oil pressure and boost pressure. After I topped out from the 3rd peak, I selected the boost back to transmission temperature. Wow... the transmission temperature was red and the needle pegged. Since I was on the flat now I just let it cool down and it was back to normal in less than 5 minutes. Pulled into a rest stop and idled for 10 minutes or so. When I checked there was small puddle of transmission fluid, maybe 2" diameter. nothing abnormal from there on. Ambient temperatures were maybe 70ºF and had no real load in the truck. So lesson earned on selecting gears and gauges. Still this makes me wonder about the OEM cooling arrangement.
@Gros Ventre , I too am concerned. I noticed at times I get north of 220F, as high as 230F, when not even towing and similar ambient! Watching this thread to see if anybody had ideas how to prevent this, keep the transmission cooler.

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
I wandered into an Expedition forum going down the rabbit hole on the cooling topic and one particularly believable poster said routing the oil after it leaves the turbos to an external cooler, bypassing the tiny heat exchanger so it can’t dump heat into the coolant had a dramatic effect on temperature control. Everything else he tried (most of which has been covered here) either just postponed the inevitable temp rise or nibbled at the edges for little gain vs cost.
That’s adding an external engine oil cooler plumbed in after exiting the turbos and bypassing the little heat exchanger (not the PB exhaust one).

Last edited: