First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
And they say it’s not compatible with a PB? What an elegant solution it might be though. We just need a little more cooling capacity on the margin for heavy power train load situations, and increasing the coolant volume along with air/water heat transfer surface area without any additional modifications could do the job.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I don't really see an aftermarket pan doing anything of note. If it were to make any difference under high-heat towing, it'd also be poor in winter. At best a couple of degrees assuming the larger surface area isn't collecting more exhaust radiant heat. Need 15 degrees or better to really make a difference here.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
I don't really see an aftermarket pan doing anything of note. If it were to make any difference under high-heat towing, it'd also be poor in winter. At best a couple of degrees assuming the larger surface area isn't collecting more exhaust radiant heat. Need 15 degrees or better to really make a difference here.
https://www.mishimoto.com/media/cat...it=bounds&height=980&width=980&canvas=980:980
This one requires 2 additional quarts of ATF. Wouldn’t the increase in fluid volume help slow temperature changes?

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
https://www.mishimoto.com/media/cat...it=bounds&height=980&width=980&canvas=980:980
This one requires 2 additional quarts of ATF. Wouldn’t the increase in fluid volume help slow temperature changes?
2 quarts isn't going to do much on a 210lb transmission. The trans is flanked by exhaust which is radiating heat. I would expect at best marginal results. Nothing is going to beat a front mount air/oil radiator.

As for the mishimoto main rad fitting, not sure why it wouldn't. There's nothing special about the PB's setup. Pull up its radiator part number and see what it says it fits.

The 'big' rad fits just about everything
Ford F-150 How to improve PB cooling??? 1697043632511

Last edited:

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
But you DO get a drain port!
If I ever drop this pan, I will seriously consider replacing it with one that can drain.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
But you DO get a drain port!
If I ever drop this pan, I will seriously consider replacing it with one that can drain.
I'm already setup for vac extraction that I personally couldn't justify the pan replacement unless it's not sealing properly / warped. Every 30k isn't at an interval that the 5 minutes or so saved can justify it for me at least, especially with the 60k replacing the filter.

It's a decent looking pan, but outside of a drain plug and looks that aren't seen, just not sure it brings $300 of features to the table. I didn't see anything mentioned in regards to just how exactly the extra fluid capacity does anything when it's not changing the pickup location. It's deeper and can hold more fluid, but without an extension of sorts to go further into the deeper pan, it's just marketing fluff. I understand such, I write it :ROFLMAO:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
2 quarts isn't going to do much on a 210lb transmission.
Isn't it whether 14L is an improvement over 12L? Are we saying increased fluid capacities are inconsequential?

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Isn't it whether 14L is an improvement over 12L? Are we saying increased fluid capacities are inconsequential?
Here, with this particular application, it's providing immeasurable utility. Let's say you cut open a trans line and run it until no more fluid comes out. Sitting in the bottom of the pan will be 2 quarts of fluid. Let's say the argument is slightly longer life proportional to the additional fluid. If fluid servicing is happening earlier than the manufacturer claims is needed, is any utility added? If someone believed that argument, which I don't see being made, why not just further reduce the maintenance interval period?

Replacing the contents of the pan every 30k and the filter every 60k well exceeds recommended servicing. Putting the funds into keeping temps cooler provides tangible benefits. The pan, outside of a drain port, I see no there, there.

Besides, if it's just a drain port you're after, there's cheaper options
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-265-897-Transmission-Compatible-Lincoln/dp/B0CGGJGNCY

Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
The extra volume is just going to reach a steady state more or less the same as the slightly smaller pan did because you're not really changing influx or efflux of heat. Now if you had intermittent bursts of heat followed by much longer periods where the item can cool back down (like, say a machine gun barrel or a brake disc), then more thermal inertia is an absolutely perfect solution. However, the situation where these transmissions overheat is sustained heat into the system beyond what the cooling system can extract, as in towing up or down a big hill with thin, hot dry air. The additional thermal inertia will slightly delay overheating, but in practice that won't do much good because the heat imbalance typically lasts so much longer than the tiny delay.

I do want to install the aluminum pan because I want to be able to exchange my own fluid, so the dipstick install is a big part of that. I also don't trust hot, oily plastic which kills my transmission if/when it warps.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
So the larger radiator is still solution number one.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The extra volume is just going to reach a steady state more or less the same as the slightly smaller pan did because you're not really changing influx or efflux of heat. Now if you had intermittent bursts of heat followed by much longer periods where the item can cool back down (like, say a machine gun barrel or a brake disc), then more thermal inertia is an absolutely perfect solution. However, the situation where these transmissions overheat is sustained heat into the system beyond what the cooling system can extract, as in towing up or down a big hill with thin, hot dry air. The additional thermal inertia will slightly delay overheating, but in practice that won't do much good because the heat imbalance typically lasts so much longer than the tiny delay.
Had to take your post up a notch :ROFLMAO:

The augmentation in volumetric capacity will asymptotically approach a thermal equilibrium comparable to its smaller predecessor, largely due to the invariant thermodynamic parameters governing heat ingress and egress. In scenarios entailing transient thermal spikes followed by protracted cooling intervals—akin to the heat dissipation challenges in automatic firearm barrels or vehicular brake rotors—increased thermal inertia serves as an efficacious mitigation strategy. However, in the context of these transmission systems, the prevalent overheating issue arises from a sustained thermal input exceeding the cooling system's heat rejection capabilities, often exacerbated by conditions like towing up steep inclines in arid, low-density atmospheres. While additional thermal inertia may momentarily postpone the onset of thermal overload, its utility is marginal given that the duration of the thermal disequilibrium typically far exceeds the transient delay effect.

Polo08816

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 BMW 335i
Had to take your post up a notch :ROFLMAO:

The augmentation in volumetric capacity will asymptotically approach a thermal equilibrium comparable to its smaller predecessor, largely due to the invariant thermodynamic parameters governing heat ingress and egress. In scenarios entailing transient thermal spikes followed by protracted cooling intervals—akin to the heat dissipation challenges in automatic firearm barrels or vehicular brake rotors—increased thermal inertia serves as an efficacious mitigation strategy. However, in the context of these transmission systems, the prevalent overheating issue arises from a sustained thermal input exceeding the cooling system's heat rejection capabilities, often exacerbated by conditions like towing up steep inclines in arid, low-density atmospheres. While additional thermal inertia may momentarily postpone the onset of thermal overload, its utility is marginal given that the duration of the thermal disequilibrium typically far exceeds the transient delay effect.
I constantly troll my coworkers by telling them I'll apply for the same (internal) jobs they do using ChatGPT.
Sponsored