How to get this chrome off?

crsavage1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
I am starting a project to paint match by chrome on my 2021. I bought an extra side badge to work on to ensure I do it right BEFORE tackling the rest of the truck. Interesting finds. Everything I read said to scuff the surface, plastic adhesion (in my case Bulldog) 'optional' prime (Bulldog acts as a primer for plastic) base coat and then clear coat.

I did step one several different ways to test. First I scuffed it with maroon scotch pad, primed with epoxy primer and let dry. Primer did not dry or stick at all. It would peel up easily.

Part went into brake fluid (paint and primer stuff off overnight) cleaned, re-prepped and tried a different epoxy primer. Results were the same. Repeated the steps to remove everything, cleaned prepped and used 400 grit sandpaper and try again. Same results.

Tried again but this time, just Bulldog, no primer. Paint seemed to stick much better. So, 2 medium wet coats of base, let dry a bit and begin clear coat letting it flash as appropriate for a total of 4 coats. Felt pretty good, but the orange peel was there but was not worried as could cut and buff it out. I decided to let the part flash out for 48 hrs to see how to the clear flashes and if dry enough, cut and buff it out.

Today, check on the part and several large bubbles appear. Dig into the bubble to see what is happening and sure enough, the chrome has almost "delaminated". This is what I wanted actually...couldn't figure out how to get the part to base plastic. End up peeling large strips of this off. Pictures of part below.

So a few questions:

Anyone know what Ford is doing to these parts? I am guessing aluminum in metallized vacuum with clear coat on it.

How to get this off and is this the same as the grill and rear Platinum panel? My concern is, scuffing it and painting it is not going to work long term. The pain will chip and come off. Base plastic would be worlds better to start with. I am wondering if the brake fluid managed to eat at the "film" or whatever it is and got the adhesive working but that seems like it would take weeks to get the rest of the film to release. Picking at it will inevitably scratch the plastic underneath. Sand the clear coat and hope over cleaner takes of the aluminum? I heard industrial bleach works for emblems and such...but people have done this. Just painting over this film? Paint just will not stick to it. Least in my experimentation.

I should clarify. Truck is black agate. So top of piece is base coat. Middle of piece is where the chrome film peeled off. You can see the remaining chrome film on the sides of the pieces.

Ford F-150 How to get this chrome off? IMG-3031

Ford F-150 How to get this chrome off? IMG-3030

Ford F-150 How to get this chrome off? IMG-3029
Sponsored

Ajzride

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21Mach-E / 65Mustang / 21PB 502A 157"
Occupation
C&A
Maybe etching with a fine grit media blast?

Bee5ting

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 FJ Cruiser, 2013 Suburban
Sorry, I’m not much help. But I’m interested in doing the same thing if you figure it out.

OP
OP

crsavage1

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
Due to it being metal on these and having to try and get through the strike coat, decided to wrap instead. We will see how that goes

JHForman812

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F350
chrome on plastic can be stripped using bleach. if you go to a pool store and buy liquid shock(bleach) it is closer to 12% vs store bought which is usually 5-7% it takes a long time to strip and you have to change the solution out once its done reacting. works good for small parts i wouldnt suggest doing it on the grille like i tried to do on my super duty.
Sponsored