Sponsored

How to get into accessories mode with push to start?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I actually think they are doing it for the battery health and capacity retention. With a normal EV or hybrid you have an expectation of "range". With the BP there is no expectation set. Its meant to boost your power with some added extra benefits (like "idling" for long periods of time with little gas usage).

The range they chose is the range most battery companies will tell you is about optimal to retain capacity for almost forever. Charging over around 65-70% and discharging too low has a detrimental affect on batteries. For an EV it's an accepted trade off as it's your only power source. I assume for Hyrbrids it's for mileage numbers so same acceptable tradeoff.

Ford has no need to make that tradeoff for something meant to "boost" your power if and when you need it. So the added benefit is in theory the batteries should last a crazy long time. I would guess far longer than the 8 year warranty they carry.

And don't get me wrong. I think a plugin-hybrid F150 would be amazing. I just don't think a traditional hybrid is or every will be in the plans for Ford as far as the powerboost is concerned.

of course, with the small capacity, maybe the sheer number of charge cycles will have a big effect, even if each cycle in and of itself is not so bad. I'm just spit-balling here :)
But that's just it, the SOC range on the Powerboost is basically 45%-55%. Some specific circumstances can get it to charge a little higher and discharge a little lower but for the most part it operates in a ~10% range.
It's also a very very small battery by EV, Hybrid, and Plugin standards, so it's not a $10,000 behemoth to replace.

Imagine a Powerboost with an EPA of 28mpg? It wouldn't take much "on paper" to double the EV miles and still have a battery that is far from being abused or shortening its life.
40-60 is my chant! Lol
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
I just went out to test this, cause it sounded a little too good to be true. I can confirm, at least on my 21, this is not the case. Only fan, no air conditioning unless the ignition is on with the “ready” light
Maybe I'm wrong then. I swear when I was doing my forscan updates I had full ac cause it was HOT out when I did them and I remember having ac. I don't normally start the truck fully when doing forscan edits. I'm gonna test on my '22 tomorrow.