Sponsored

How to get into accessories mode with push to start?

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
"ON" only existed on older vehicles because the key cylinder had to go somewhere once the starter was no longer needed. It couldn't go another notch to "ACC" or you would just shut off the engine. "ACC" didn't go away, "ON" as a physical key position did go away since it is no longer needed...or you could say it is engaged automatically once the engine starts.
Sponsored

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'07 Pontiac Solstice GXP, '22 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Solutions Architect
BAP has nothing to do with it. My truck is a BAP.
Ok-- I still don't understand fully. I've got the Powerboost Lariat 501a, and also love the idea of full Air conditioning while no ICE is running. To do this, I start the truck (with foot on brake). Questions:
1) 1a) IF I run the full Air conditioning with only accessory mode on, what happens? 1b) Will the starting battery eventually drain (like my parents warned me about in the 80's)? 1c) Will the large hybrid battery drain? Or would the ICE kick on to top-off the batteries, like it would in generator mode?

2) Depending on the answer to #1, shouldn't I just always crank the truck fully, so that the ICE can keep the hybrid battery charged?

3) What's the message "low-power accessory mode" or "high power accessory mode" mean, that I occasionally but unpredictably pop up? (I think a lot of us who can't tell if the truck is "on" or not are stuck with these questions-- or maybe just me).
For me I just make it a simple rule: If I want A/C or I know I"ll be sitting in the truck more than a few minutes, I just turn the truck on. I don't know what will happen if you leave it in ACC mode with the A/C on. I assume perhaps at some point it will stop. With the PB, for me, turning it on most the time is in electric and so is basically ACC mode with it turning on the engine if it needs it.

The only exception to this is if I only need to do something really quick in the truck. Like check a setting or something. I then just put it in ACC mode and figure the 1-3 minutes I'll be in the truck won't drain the battery enough to worry about it. I'll also do this sometimes between forscan changes instead of a full start.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Ummmmm, one of the MOST remarkable things about the Powerboost IS sitting in it for hours while working. Who needs accessory power mode with the Powerboost? :)

It's not uncommon for me to have a 1-3 hour session "working remotely" from my Powerboost. I used to look for a restaurant with WiFi that would tolerate me sitting in a booth and drinking coffee/tea.

Not anymore! An amazing office on wheels. Insanely comfortable and barely sips fuel while it keeps me nice and cool and even entertained while I take care of desk tasks.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
"ON" only existed on older vehicles because the key cylinder had to go somewhere once the starter was no longer needed. It couldn't go another notch to "ACC" or you would just shut off the engine. "ACC" didn't go away, "ON" as a physical key position did go away since it is no longer needed...or you could say it is engaged automatically once the engine starts.
“ON” on the older vehicles is more than just an extra accessory.
Before electronic ignition, “ON” turned on all ignition controlled accessories.
The actual ignition system circuit was choked down to about 8vdc via a resistance wire or ballast resistor.
But, 12-14 vdc was still required to get the engine fired.
This was accomplished thru the starter solenoid that dropped the 12 volts once the key was released.
With GM’s HEI, full voltage was supplied under all conditions.
The ignition circuit was still required on the solenoid as the ignition switch completely dropped power to the coil while cranking.
Pretty sure Ford did the same when the electronics came along.
Chrysler did the same thing with a separate relay on the fender.
cannot have Start and Run both on the same circuit.

Early cars, when on accy, turn signals, wipers and guages will not activate.
Nothing that was tied to the ignition circuit would come on preventing a coil overheat, points welding, or a coil explosion.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I miss my older Ford sometimes. Everything I ever needed was available at Tractor Supply. Simple has it's own kind of luxury.
Ford F-150 How to get into accessories mode with push to start? IMG_0124

Sponsored

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB Mid Front Bench, 2013 E350 4x4
Ummmmm, one of the MOST remarkable things about the Powerboost IS sitting in it for hours while working. Who needs accessory power mode with the Powerboost? :)

It's not uncommon for me to have a 1-3 hour session "working remotely" from my Powerboost. I used to look for a restaurant with WiFi that would tolerate me sitting in a booth and drinking coffee/tea.

Not anymore! An amazing office on wheels. Insanely comfortable and barely sips fuel while it keeps me nice and cool and even entertained while I take care of desk tasks.
Yeppers. This was the #1 or 2 reason for the truck. Add the interior work surface (the rare 40/20/40 version), and it's a totally different (better) mobile office experience.

Guess I won't worry about what happens w/ ACC because I'll never use it. It would be nice to configure the battery to drain more between ICE top-offs. @Snakebitten you sound like somebody who may have tried to figure that out.

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Yeppers. This was the #1 or 2 reason for the truck. Add the interior work surface (the rare 40/20/40 version), and it's a totally different (better) mobile office experience.

Guess I won't worry about what happens w/ ACC because I'll never use it. It would be nice to configure the battery to drain more between ICE top-offs. @Snakebitten you sound like somebody who may have tried to figure that out.
that rare 40/20/40 version is the one that swings around, right? after having worked in my truck, I think I might prefer that. It's nice to have a flat space to put the laptop, but I'm left handed and even then, I'm not typing on my laptop while it's on that thing.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

It's not that I have tried to figure out how to expand the SOC of the high voltage battery, but rather I wanted to know what the SOC range is with Ford's onboard management.

It's remarkably narrow. Much narrower than I expected, which made me marvel even more at what the truck accomplishes. Ford is being incredibly protective of the health of this tiny battery. I swear it is so small that I would be willing to buy a new one every 5 years if they would just let me have 10-15% wider range. 40-60 would probably add another 4-5mpg. :)

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
It's not that I have tried to figure out how to expand the SOC of the high voltage battery, but rather I wanted to know what the SOC range is with Ford's onboard management.

It's remarkably narrow. Much narrower than I expected, which made me marvel even more at what the truck accomplishes. Ford is being incredibly protective of the health of this tiny battery. I swear it is so small that I would be willing to buy a new one every 5 years if they would just let me have 10-15% wider range. 40-60 would probably add another 4-5mpg. :)
At some point along that slope it becomes an electric vehicle with a gasoline auxiliary power unit...which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Ok-- I hadn't spent any time researching this b/c I assume it falls in the category of things I can't change, but it seems really, really narrow. I, too, would be willing to replace the battery often if it were wider (or better yet, configurable). I'm thinking of the use case of powering our RV while we sleep, which we're doing later this year, and this whole mobile office thing. Hope that our Forscan / other hacking brothers will find a way.

Sponsored

scuba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
that rare 40/20/40 version is the one that swings around, right? after having worked in my truck, I think I might prefer that. It's nice to have a flat space to put the laptop, but I'm left handed and even then, I'm not typing on my laptop while it's on that thing.
Yes, swings around. Liked it so much in theory that I tried really hard to find one to install in my 40/20/40 tahoe and avoid buying a truck altogether. In practice, it's almost as good as I hoped.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok-- I hadn't spent any time researching this b/c I assume it falls in the category of things I can't change, but it seems really, really narrow. I, too, would be willing to replace the battery often if it were wider (or better yet, configurable). I'm thinking of the use case of powering our RV while we sleep, which we're doing later this year, and this whole mobile office thing. Hope that our Forscan / other hacking brothers will find a way.
Man would it be amazing if eventually there's a discovered AsBuilt entry that altered the SOC parameters!

I'm not begging for anything crazy like 20%-80%. Just 40%-60%.

Hypothetically it would nearly double the EV mileage. I like to think Ford is just keeping it close to their vest with intentions of expanding it as an "update". :)

FrankThompson

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Solutions Architect
Man would it be amazing if eventually there's a discovered AsBuilt entry that altered the SOC parameters!

I'm not begging for anything crazy like 20%-80%. Just 40%-60%.

Hypothetically it would nearly double the EV mileage. I like to think Ford is just keeping it close to their vest with intentions of expanding it as an "update". :)
I actually think they are doing it for the battery health and capacity retention. With a normal EV or hybrid you have an expectation of "range". With the BP there is no expectation set. Its meant to boost your power with some added extra benefits (like "idling" for long periods of time with little gas usage).

The range they chose is the range most battery companies will tell you is about optimal to retain capacity for almost forever. Charging over around 65-70% and discharging too low has a detrimental affect on batteries. For an EV it's an accepted trade off as it's your only power source. I assume for Hyrbrids it's for mileage numbers so same acceptable tradeoff.

Ford has no need to make that tradeoff for something meant to "boost" your power if and when you need it. So the added benefit is in theory the batteries should last a crazy long time. I would guess far longer than the 8 year warranty they carry.

And don't get me wrong. I think a plugin-hybrid F150 would be amazing. I just don't think a traditional hybrid is or every will be in the plans for Ford as far as the powerboost is concerned.

of course, with the small capacity, maybe the sheer number of charge cycles will have a big effect, even if each cycle in and of itself is not so bad. I'm just spit-balling here :)

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
OK, so I just went out and 'tested' on my '22 Lariat 500A (3.5l Ecoboost, not Powerboost); when I get in the 'cold' vehicle and do nothing other than push the 'start' button once without touching the brake:
  • I can listen to the audio system, no problem
  • I can run the climate control fan at whatever speed and vent outlets selected, no problem
  • I cannot get actual cooling AC of course (the engine isn't running to drive the AC compressor)
It does take a moment for these things to become 'active'.

The green light on the Start button blinks rapidly; I see a message on my info screen saying "Full Accessory Power On" which can be dismissed by pushing the "OK" button on the steering wheel. Everything keeps working without interruption no matter how much I open / close the driver's door.

All above with my keyfob in the vehicle of course.

Not sure why the OP can't replicate that, but IMO the behavior I'm seeing on my truck is exactly analogous to a 'traditional key-start vehicle' with the key in the "accessory" position.

One might wonder if, for whatever reason, the OP's battery is below the level that allows all this to work due to its 'battery saver' feature (only a wild guess)?
The OP can replicate that, but it’s not what he’s looking for. He’s looking for the old accessory mode, which only powers the radio. That has been replaced by simply allowing one to press the radio power button without touching the ignition

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Just an addendum, if you have a powerboost, you get full ac in accessory mode
I just went out to test this, cause it sounded a little too good to be true. I can confirm, at least on my 21, this is not the case. Only fan, no air conditioning unless the ignition is on with the “ready” light
Sponsored