Sponsored

How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete)

Dunthupl

First Name
Hunt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Platinum
Several videos on how to remove the grille. Some pictures of that also, but tried to show how to remove the four 'stainless' and chrome parts of the grille for painting.

Ford F-150 How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete) 001

Ford F-150 How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete) 002

Ford F-150 How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete) 003

Ford F-150 How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete) 004

The tolerances of these parts is insane. Snug is an understatement, but they are removable (I did break one). There are two different style retainers, the first being easier. I'm not sure the standard reinforced plastic trim removal tools will get you there, I'd recommend metal. Clip type 1 : I bought this and used a grinder to shave the ears a bit thinner as well as gapped the opening larger (very tight fit). Start at outtermost clip working inward - use some paint stirrers (or trim removal tools that wouldn't work) as a wedges between grille housing/panels and work down the line of clips.

Clip type 2 : I tried a bunch of different tools and almost gave up. The best thing and small enough to fit was a metal awl to help pry the grille housing (female-black) while at the same time tapping the panel (male-chrome) down maintaining leverage with the awl. These things are tight tight. Side note: maybe its tool paths/milling, but it almost looks the the grille housing was 3D printed.

The alternative is just cutting one side of catch on the grille housing and gluing it back for assembly.... I wasn't interested in vinyl wrapping these. Waiting for the paint cure fully before adding a coat of selant then reinstalling. Total cost for the body shop to prep & paint the 4 grille pieces and tailgate aplique was $630. I'm going to see how things look reassembled, but if I don't like the look of the infill chrome accents, I may try these precut wraps.

Ford F-150 How To - Disassemble Platinum Grille (chrome delete) IMG_2561
Sponsored