How much is your truck payment?

Bannerman

First Name
Johnson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tremor 402A, 2022 4Runner ORP
That’s people who want others to think they’re wealthy.
I’ve had many wealthy clients. Truly wealthy. Millionaires. They’ve taught me a lot.
One thing: never pay $150k for a new S-Class when you can borrow the money at 2% interest and then put that $150k in the market and make 5-12% back.
Millionaire doesn't mean as much as it use to these days, haha. I wouldn't pay $150k for anything with wheels, but I do pay cash for cars. I cut a check for my wife's 2021 4Runner Offroad Premium, my Bennington TriToon, and I'll cut a check for my Tremor whenever it shows up. While I will not argue the math, I will say I do enough additional investing every month/year that it's not really worth the hassle to fool with a car payment. Just my $0.02.
Sponsored

poodwecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302a
I’ll finance if I get an additional incentives and then pay it off the next month, otherwise I’ll just show up with a cashiers check at the dealer.
Not a fan of a truck payment.

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Financially it would be better to leave my money invested and do a loan at a low rate and make payments. I just cannot bring myself to do that, I have been loan free since early 2000. I think I would break out in hives If I had a car loan. Lol

Plus, you cain't take it with you...

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Financially it would be better to leave my money invested and do a loan at a low rate and make payments. I just cannot bring myself to do that, I have been loan free since early 2000. I think I would break out in hives If I had a car loan. Lol

Plus, you can't take it with you...
That's the dilemma – the idea of "debt" requires careful study. Interest rates are rising, maybe not much, but money borrowed today at 2% (iron and rubber) or 4% (dirt and sticks) is a 5 year or 30 year financial plan to invest that capital at market returns (well) above 10%.

One concept to consider is risk. When you're young (under say 40 years old) take risks (financial, entrepreneurial, not physical, not your health, not with the law.) If you're 20 something, don't throw caution to the wind, but don't fear risk in the way many people conflate "risk" with "reckless."

p.s. "can't take it with you" is true and sensible planning so long as there's nobody you're leaving behind. I agree with "die broke" but the asterisk is "so that your heirs pay no inheritance tax" … I look forward to taking millions in debt to the grave with me. Not soon, but eventually.
I tell my kids, when I croak, throw me in a dumpster, don't waste a penny on a grand funeral, and I've structured a family trust to prevent anyone including future spouses and relatives from squandering what I'm not taking with me.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I’ll finance if I get an additional incentives and then pay it off the next month, otherwise I’ll just show up with a cashiers check at the dealer.
Not a fan of a truck payment.
There's usually incentives and it's well worth "shopping" for those incentives. Whether it's "zero percent" or other heavy discounts connected to arbitrary shopping events (Labor Day or "Year End") … they're all just marketing, but they also indicate the "real" price of the consumer product. If Ford discounts an SUV or pickup by $10,000 because of a date on the calendar, then that's the real price of the vehicle year-round.

If you pay more than that number, you're paying a premium because you either didn't know or you don't have the option to wait to purchase a vehicle.

Of course, for the near future, maybe all of 2022, getting those discounts is unlikely. Just not paying a "market adjustment" gouge is about all you can expect.

Getting cheap financing is the thing I'll be looking for when the Lightning shows up.

I keep my capital in things like $TSLA, $F, $RIVN.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There's usually incentives and it's well worth "shopping" for those incentives. Whether it's "zero percent" or other heavy discounts connected to arbitrary shopping events (Labor Day or "Year End") … they're all just marketing, but they also indicate the "real" price of the consumer product. If Ford discounts an SUV or pickup by $10,000 because of a date on the calendar, then that's the real price of the vehicle year-round.

If you pay more than that number, you're paying a premium because you either didn't know or you don't have the option to wait to purchase a vehicle.

Of course, for the near future, maybe all of 2022, getting those discounts is unlikely. Just not paying a "market adjustment" gouge is about all you can expect.

Getting cheap financing is the thing I'll be looking for when the Lightning shows up.

I keep my capital in things like $TSLA, $F, $RIVN.
You won't see those kind of deals now because of the vehicle shortages. Many are lucky to just pay MSRP and maybe a low finance rate.

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Algorithms
You won't see those kind of deals now because of the vehicle shortages. Many are lucky to just pay MSRP and maybe a low finance rate.
"Of course, for the near future, maybe all of 2022, getting those discounts is unlikely. Just not paying a "market adjustment" gouge is about all you can expect.

Getting cheap financing is the thing I'll be looking for when the Lightning shows up."

qewrtyturdy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 PB Platinum (ordered)
When did you guys start shopping around for the best financing deal? I placed my order this month so I feel like have at least 3 months before they actually build the truck. Ford Credit is currently offering 0.9% APR + 1,000 for 60 months, but the offer ends this month.

poodwecker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT 302a
When did you guys start shopping around for the best financing deal? I placed my order this month so I feel like have at least 3 months before they actually build the truck. Ford Credit is currently offering 0.9% APR + 1,000 for 60 months, but the offer ends this month.
probably a week or two before you take delivery. This way you don't pull your credit too far apart and ding it twice.

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
There are still a few good dealers out there that do competitive pricing. Just gotta find em.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
There are still a few good dealers out there that do competitive pricing. Just gotta find em.
I'm sure and some area's a better supply.

I was very lucky for I ordered mine in Aug of 2020 and received it in Jan 2021. I got top dollar trade in. I had my order in before any of the increases. There were sever rebates and purchased for $1,000 below invoice, even received a $2500 PCO I was able to use. All total was $11,000 off MSRP.

I have look up my trucks trade-in value and was blown away for it was near my MSRP on my truck. Only have just over 4,000 miles and no plans to make money on it, it cannot be replaced for what I paid.

I don't usually fall into perfect timing on things but did this time I think.

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
Yup. At least two of my local dealers are not price gouging. One is doing their "no hassle $50 over invoice" pricing that they've done for years. And another is doing their normal "$100 under invoice" for retail orders (and they price matched 3% under invoice for my order). I suspect that several other dealers around here are doing their same deals as well.

CRFuzz

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat 3.5EB
Occupation
DBA
Yup. At least two of my local dealers are not price gouging. One is doing their "no hassle $50 over invoice" pricing that they've done for years. And another is doing their normal "$100 under invoice" for retail orders (and they price matched 3% under invoice for my order). I suspect that several other dealers around here are doing their same deals as well.
My dealer is one of the "no hassle" take it or leave it price places. They've been competitive enough that this will be 4th vehicle from the group. They guarantee a trade-in value on vehicle order and offered invoice pricing. Offered 18k trade in for my current Frontier (that I paid 21k for 5 years ago :O). Almost couldn't say no to ordering.
Sponsored