Sponsored

How much can a 2.7 Ecoboost Tow? This chart only confuses.

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Ford's towing guide shows the following towing capabilities for the 2.7 Ecoboost. However nowhere does it explain how to achieve that 10,100 lb towing rating. Usually there are footnotes stating how to achieve a specific tow rating.

Does anyone know how to decipher this so that I know exactly how much a Supercrew truck with the 2.7 will tow by looking at its window sticker?

Ford F-150 How much can a 2.7 Ecoboost Tow?  This chart only confuses. Screen Shot 2021-05-01 at 6.35.10 PM
Sponsored

OP
OP

docprego

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Read the chart. You need the axle ratio, wheelbase, and 2wd or 4wd.
With all due respect I figured I needed that but how do I find the axle ratio from a specific Monroney?

I am looking for a Supercrew in either 2wd or 4wd with the 145" wheelbase.

tardman91

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 STX
With all due respect I figured I needed that but how do I find the axle ratio from a specific Monroney?

I am looking for a Supercrew in either 2wd or 4wd with the 145" wheelbase.
Mine is listed on my window sticker under optional equipment/other.

Super Guest

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F350
With the 2.7, to get to the 10.1k tow rating you will need several options; the 3.73 rear end, the tow package(s) (trailer tow pack or trailer tech pack), and the 2.7 payload package. I actually test drove one at a dealer near me that had all three options to get to the 10k rating. The payload on the truck was 1744 (still have the pic I took), which still seems low for having an upgraded payload package. I don't tow anywhere near 10k, mostly in the 6-7k range and this truck almost certainly could have done it without issue. I didn't end up buying just due to the cost- it was a 2021 stx and they were firm on a price on 46k despite it having sat on their lot for almost three months and I didnt want to spend that much on what was basically a base model truck with very limited options. Went used instead and got everything I was looking for, except power rear window.

You have to be careful with the Ford tow guide, they are very good about the fine print, and laying out that trucks are only rated to pull those numbers with very specific options combinations.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
It looks like the payload package automatically adds the trailer tow package and the 3.73 gears on the 2.7 but not the other way around. So as long as the sticker reads 2.7 payload package on the window sticker. You should be good.

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
The above two posts touch on this but just to call it out...

10% - 15% of the trailer weight ends up on the hitch. That weight is going to chip away at your payload capacity.

Once you add people and cargo to the tongue weight it becomes easy to hit the lower payload capacities before you max the towing capacity.
Sponsored