First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150, focus, corolla
Occupation
Software Engineer
I asked a few questions on the other forum and got responses from a couple of Ford employees. Nothing revelatory, but thought some of you might be interested in the responses.

Questions:
1. Given that my last update was Produced 3/17 and there hasn't been any update in over a month, is the best guess that my truck is built waiting for chips (or seats)?
2. There seem to be trucks built before, after, and on the same day as mine that made it to Ramp 59 (Origin Received) and have been stuck at that step instead of the Produced step. It sounds like these are also built but waiting on chips (or seats). Is there a difference between these groups besides the location that they are being stored (Priority/ETA)?
3. Does Ford really not know when and how they are going to get the necessary chips (and seat foam) to fulfill these orders (causing them to actually not have ETAs)? Or do you think the actual ETAs for these limbo trucks just being kept close to the vest to hopefully avoid people ditching their orders?
Response:
1. Maybe part of it, could have been wheel liners or something that started to get tougher to find around that time. You kind of fell into an odd period of these shortages where they knew more shortages were possible but didn't yet know the scope, and also before the next wave of DTP shutdowns. I suspect your truck may have been waiting for parts or something for a short period, but then they had the two week DTP shutdown, and it seems since that shutdown even trucks that were on the line are taking more time to get to Produced, which may be because they are playing catch up. Yours may have also NOT been missing anything, and it's just taken a while to get a shipping company that goes in the direction it needs to bring it to you. There has been a shortage of truck drivers as well that has impacted shipping and delivery of a lot of items.
2. Not sure on this one
3. It's way more the former. Without giving out details that aren't bad but not sure how public Ford wants everything to be, we funny enough had a company meeting yesterday and they answered some questions on this stuff, and while Ford has large and very engaged teams on part procurement and whatever else is needed, a supply chain is complex and large when it comes to building a truck like F-150 and things can stop at many different points even before the supplier Ford is directly tied to. Generally not an issue when things are flowing normally, because it's in the best interest of the supplier to keep things moving. But things aren't flowing normally. While I am not involved in main manufacturing decisions, I am pretty highly confident that Ford doesn't have ETAs down to specific trucks and is just hiding them. Keep in mind that you wouldn't normally have the info Pioneer is providing unless your salesperson provided an update, and if Ford wanted to keep things quiet they would be asking dealers to cover things up more, which I haven't seen any sign of.
Further response from Pioneer on #2:
Your truck is built but waiting on something. Ramp59 trucks have been transported to an offsite holding lot to wait for whatever they are lacking to become available. Yours hasn't been transported offsite.
Sponsored

rd50078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited & 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Corporate Sales Manager, part-time farmer, rancher & golfer.
Thought I would get a thread going for those still waiting on their trucks to be delivered.

I am currently at 150 days since I placed my order and still no ETA on truck.

My Truck was built in Deabourne and has been sitting on Ramp 59 since March 9th and not moved.
My Limited arrived the dealership this week, April 21. It was ordered on July 31 so that puts me at 264 days!

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I got all my finances together last fall, went in to my dealer to buy a new truck. At that time it hadn't occurred to me to "order" a truck. I intended to buy it that day.

He told me "there are no trucks even close to what you want, anywhere".

So I decided to wait & see if any popped up. He said he would keep checking around and let me know.

Finally, in March I decided to just go ahead and order one.

Now that I'm seeing all the people who DID order trucks last Fall & Winter getting trucks with undercarriages rusted to hell, I'm beginning to think I dodged a hell of a bullet.

It appears that those trucks sat around half built, outside in lots flooded with DOT salt soaked storm water.

Beware if you ordered your truck last year & are just now getting delivery.

"Surface Rust" is one thing but a lot of these trucks are showing up with deep rot. And apparently Ford is okay with that as long as you're willing to take delivery.

It would really suck to have waited close to a year for your dream truck only to have to walk away from it but if people keep taking, Ford will keep giving.

My truck hasn't even gone into production yet and likely won't for a few more months. I'm just hoping that by the time it does... Ford has a big shipment of chips sitting in stock and they can just build it and ship it without it sitting around rotting away.
?

TheGoodLife

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None yet
My Limited arrived the dealership this week, April 21. It was ordered on July 31 so that puts me at 264 days!
Wow, I didn’t realize there was anyone still left from July awaiting their order. That’s crazy - 9 months. I thought my September order was one of the oldest, and I’m at the point where I’m trying to find anything I can get my hands on from any brand at this point. Glad you got your truck! Hope it’s truly awesome.

OP
OP
Gman73

Gman73

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger, 2021 Ford F-150 on order
Occupation
Facilities Manager
Damn, but congrats. I am hoping mine doesn’t take that long

Sponsored

mxc27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Ordered on Jan 25, built on March 30 (Dearborn), truck is awaiting a rear camera module according to dealer, he thinks 6-10 weeks before it ships and another 3-4 for transport is a reasonably optimistic scenario, with a delivery late June to late July.

Pessimistic scenario is 12-18 weeks before it ships with a delivery of late August to early November.

saluki1969

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Ford Mustang GT500, 2021 F150 SC PB Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Ordered Rapid Red SC 4x4 Sport PB 502a with max tow, work station, power running boards, wheel well liners and some other options on 2/12/21. Still remains "unscheduled". Drawing interest on money to pay for truck!

rd50078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited & 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Corporate Sales Manager, part-time farmer, rancher & golfer.
I got all my finances together last fall, went in to my dealer to buy a new truck. At that time it hadn't occurred to me to "order" a truck. I intended to buy it that day.

He told me "there are no trucks even close to what you want, anywhere".

So I decided to wait & see if any popped up. He said he would keep checking around and let me know.

Finally, in March I decided to just go ahead and order one.

Now that I'm seeing all the people who DID order trucks last Fall & Winter getting trucks with undercarriages rusted to hell, I'm beginning to think I dodged a hell of a bullet.

It appears that those trucks sat around half built, outside in lots flooded with DOT salt soaked storm water.

Beware if you ordered your truck last year & are just now getting delivery.

"Surface Rust" is one thing but a lot of these trucks are showing up with deep rot. And apparently Ford is okay with that as long as you're willing to take delivery.

It would really suck to have waited close to a year for your dream truck only to have to walk away from it but if people keep taking, Ford will keep giving.

My truck hasn't even gone into production yet and likely won't for a few more months. I'm just hoping that by the time it does... Ford has a big shipment of chips sitting in stock and they can just build it and ship it without it sitting around rotting away.
?
I checked underneath and everything looks really good. Just waiting on a couple of accessories to be added and will pick up later this week.

Stubblejumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
My biggest issue isn't the delays, it's that Ford isn't being up front with the customers. If they can't deliver for several months, notify the customer, and let them know, so they can decide f they want to wait, or explore other options. And if Ford can't deliver an ordered truck within four months, offer the customer the $1000 rebate for a factory order, on any in stock truck.

Sponsored

UNIKRN150

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pinto SE 4x4
I doun
My biggest issue isn't the delays, it's that Ford isn't being up front with the customers. If they can't deliver for several months, notify the customer, and let them know, so they can decide f they want to wait, or explore other options. And if Ford can't deliver an ordered truck within four months, offer the customer the $1000 rebate for a factory order, on any in stock truck.
I doubt they're going to offer any money. They're already losing their asses on this chip fiasco. But it would be nice if they offered some sort of acknowledgment that we're waiting. Even an apology letter would be good PR if nothing else.

Pete6114

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2023 Lincoln Aviator
Occupation
Retired Ford employee
I don't think ford knows ahead of receiving a order from the Dealers on how long it'll be to deliver. Even if they think it'll be a 8 week turnaround, the supply chain keeps braking an many levels, just like others are everyplace. (try buying plywood, ABS pipes, Circuit Breakers and etc...etc...Whatever you can find has gotten way more expensive) It doesn't do Ford any good to sit on it's produced and ordered vehicles and isn't done intentionally just to piss everybody off...
Read someplace that the shortages will get worse before they get better, so if you're thinking of cancelling your order, think again..

MDH

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I don't think ford knows ahead of receiving a order from the Dealers on how long it'll be to deliver. Even if they think it'll be a 8 week turnaround, the supply chain keeps braking an many levels, just like others are everyplace. (try buying plywood, ABS pipes, Circuit Breakers and etc...etc...Whatever you can find has gotten way more expensive) It doesn't do Ford any good to sit on it's produced and ordered vehicles and isn't done intentionally just to piss everybody off...
Read someplace that the shortages will get worse before they get better, so if you're thinking of cancelling your order, think again..
I have an ordered F-150 Lariat Powerboost that was build the week of March 25, 2021. It has been sitting on Ramp 59 since. Stopped by the dealer yesterday and after they did some digging and pulling reports they told be the ETA for delivery was 9/1/2021. Not very happy as the truck is build awaiting chips, has a VIN and will still be a model year 2021. They are going to to more checking on Monday to see if the estimated delivery date is indeed accurate. My truck was ordered 18 weeks ago.

GreggT

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Screw, SRX Cadillac
Occupation
Retired
I have an ordered F-150 Lariat Powerboost that was build the week of March 25, 2021. It has been sitting on Ramp 59 since. Stopped by the dealer yesterday and after they did some digging and pulling reports they told be the ETA for delivery was 9/1/2021. Not very happy as the truck is build awaiting chips, has a VIN and will still be a model year 2021. They are going to to more checking on Monday to see if the estimated delivery date is indeed accurate. My truck was ordered 18 weeks ago.
How does one know that a truck is sitting on Ramp 59?

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
87 days so far, out of KC, Ramp 6U, for Socal.
I believe my truck is finally in Mira Loma, Ca (LA) today so another week or 2 maybe.
Unless it didn't actually get on the rail car they said it di. LOL
Sponsored

Last edited: