Sponsored

How long from ordering (in Jan 2021) until a VIN is created?

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Here take a look at my built nothing special that’s why I’m so surprised that the truck i order back in Aug is not parked in my driveway.
This is what mine looks like. Ask him to give you a printout with the Invoice column displayed as shown on mine to the right of the MSRP. Interesting how different or the lack of process is for the two different costco dealer referals. I have some questions for my dealer.

Attachments

charliecbp

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F 150 Limited PowerBoost
I ordered January 6th, in less than 7 days had a vin and build date of 2/14, hoping that this build week holds firm, it should put delivery in mid march during Ford Truck month and hoping for some good incentives

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I placed my order back in Aug-28 got a vin# two weeks ago. Production schedule for Feb-22. I feel like FORD screwed up on mine.
You and I ordered “brother” trucks. 301A, 8’
I did not get the max tow HDPP or the 3.73

I did order the HDPP wheels tho, but my dealer forgot to order the basic tow package.
Not too concerned, but I will bring it up when I go get it.
As for timing—I ordered on 8-14, and the truck was finally built on 1-25.
Should arrive here mid Feb
My order was also scheduled on Dec 1, like many others, that’s when I got the VIN.
It was also accepted at Ford within 2 hours of me leaving the dealer
I’m not sure “Ford screwed up” is quite accurate.
We both got scheduled on the first day of OKTB.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
I placed my order back in Aug-28 got a vin# two weeks ago. Production schedule for Feb-22. I feel like FORD screwed up on mine.
I believe Ford messed me up also. This week,4 months into waiting, my dealers Ford Rep committed to contact the scheduling dept to expedite my build. We shall see!

Sponsored

cogatti

First Name
david
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 King Ranch
Occupation
retired
I ordered my truck on 1/16/21. Retail priority code of 10. Anyone know about how long it takes for a VIN to be created recently (obviously pre-orders from before the trucks were in production would have taken longer)? Would like to be able to monitor the status of my truck without having to call/email the dealership. Thanks for any help!
Well, good luck....I ordered my "Platinum" from a dealership in Kentucky and still waiting for a VIN Number....so, don't hold your breath!....this is getting rediculous!!!!!

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
I'm totally looking forward to the options!

Do me a favor. Ask for the Costco price and see what he says. Then we can compare notes. I'm always looking for the best deal and will swing either way.

The four Costco Reps at Penske are
Brian Wilbur
Jeff Pembleton
Richard Kresge
Fabian Roybal

I'm expecting a no hassle, dealer invoice pricing plus any incentives. Go into the configurator and it will show a splash screen. Up to $2,750 plus $500 student, first responder or recent veteran. Problem is, most of them deal with dealer inventory over 60 days old. Good luck on that! But you never know. There is what appears to be a current financing incentive. Never say you're going to pay cash. That's old school from what I've read and there is no such thing that you must carry a loan for a certain amount of time. I plan on paying mine off the first month. Most of the profit margin is in financing, warranty, add-ons. I also plan on going with Geico's 100,000 mi. / 7 year bumper to bumper MBI warranty. From what I can tell it seems like a great deal (I believe about $30 mo.).

Good info. I thought about Cosco but read about Mustang Club ($25) on other forum joined Dec 24 so X-Plan pricing valid after 60 days Feb 24 as long as I take delivery after that which works out. Best part is not much negotiating, flat discount up front. They can tweek a couple other numbers to make their margins I heard. I saw 3750 in incentives but cant find that again now? Now I see 2500. Thought it was good to Feb 2nd this Tues. We shall see. oh yeh just found the one you said 2750 _ 1000. Planning to get 84mos 8.9% Ford Credit then go straight to credit union and refi it also. LOL
Yeh early pre orders and initial delivers seemed screwy but now the trucks seem to be moving along better. First stacked in lots by airport waiting, couldnt get max tow, spray in issues, parts not available, sunroof issues, etc, not suprising with new Gen and COVID. Toyota Tundra was shit out of luck after Texas plant shutdown.
Kinda surprised so many sales people don't really know much about options etc I kept asking about subdued flag and Detroit map and they were all clueless. God forbid you ask how the e locker works etc. LOL

Went to Carlsbad, Kearny, El Cajon, La Mesa , Chula Vista, Nat city.
Heard La Mesa was trustworthy, went with them. Like Huge Penske So cal/national volume backing for ordering and priority. We will see if it works.
Good we can comiserate cuz the waiting is hard.
Grody and El Cajon are Roush dealers but cant seem to get you anything like individual kits and install. Or even Ford performance Borla exhaust etc.
Cant even get them to order parts and install. Like 6" extended running board that aren't avail for Kansas Builds. ugh
Forget about all avail accessories. Have to wait some I guess.
I digress.

...sits in front of screen waiting for VIN...looking at videos of actual built trucks...lol

Attachments

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Searched and read on priority codes delays etc:
I'm no expert.
"10-19 are customer orders. 10 best, 19 worst. 20+ are dealer stock orders."
1 is absolute best, hard to get. Higher up the food chain.
So priority code dealer allocations regional stuff and corporate control etc etc have effect but not concrete.

Plus I heard delays on commodity availability or something and quality issues they were fixing, issues, for big sunroof, spray ins, max tow pkg etc caused some delays. Mostly all resolved lately...

Senior folks an forums seem to know alot more than average person. And way more than sales folks.
Like I got ticked off about, cant get skid plates without FX4 pkg, but configurator let me select it dealers system did not.
Dealer has no clue why but Senior Guy explains its a fleet only option to get skid plate only. So I'm OK with it now and I don't get skid plates. Get Sport 4x4 sticker not FX4 Offroad sticker. :)
Same with extended running boards restricted by paint color. WTF. Just a function of which plant has which options available to build. Space white only comes from KC but long boards only in Dearborn. Oh well. Now I gotta order with short boards and have to order long boards separately. Dealer doesnt even know how to do that.
Still learning as I go. Being informed helps the acceptance and serenity levels. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Good info. I thought about Cosco but read about Mustang Club ($25) on other forum joined Dec 24 so X-Plan pricing valid after 60 days Feb 24 as long as I take delivery after that which works out. Best part is not much negotiating, flat discount up front. They can tweek a couple other numbers to make their margins I heard. I saw 3750 in incentives but cant find that again now? Now I see 2500. Thought it was good to Feb 2nd this Tues. We shall see. oh yeh just found the one you said 2750 _ 1000. Planning to get 84mos 8.9% Ford Credit then go straight to credit union and refi it also. LOL
Yeh early pre orders and initial delivers seemed screwy but now the trucks seem to be moving along better. First stacked in lots by airport waiting, couldnt get max tow, spray in issues, parts not available, sunroof issues, etc, not suprising with new Gen and COVID. Toyota Tundra was shit out of luck after Texas plant shutdown.
Kinda surprised so many sales people don't really know much about options etc I kept asking about subdued flag and Detroit map and they were all clueless. God forbid you ask how the e locker works etc. LOL

Went to Carlsbad, Kearny, El Cajon, La Mesa , Chula Vista, Nat city.
Heard La Mesa was trustworthy, went with them. Like Huge Penske So cal/national volume backing for ordering and priority. We will see if it works.
Good we can comiserate cuz the waiting is hard.
Grody and El Cajon are Roush dealers but cant seem to get you anything like individual kits and install. Or even Ford performance Borla exhaust etc.
Cant even get them to order parts and install. Like 6" extended running board that aren't avail for Kansas Builds. ugh
Forget about all avail accessories. Have to wait some I guess.
I digress.

...sits in front of screen waiting for VIN...looking at videos of actual built trucks...lol
Yah I got Ken Grody to order my truck and the customs department are going to throw on a 4" BDS lift, 35" Nitto Ridge Grapplers, and some 20" Fuel Mavericks. Had the X-Plan walking in so no fuss no muss on the deal. Hoping for some better incentives when its time for pickup and maybe get lucky and get a PCO.

OP
OP
xXChartmanXx

xXChartmanXx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Explorer, 2021 VW ID.4, 2021 F150 Lariat
Occupation
CyberSecurity Engineer
Well, good luck....I ordered my "Platinum" from a dealership in Kentucky and still waiting for a VIN Number....so, don't hold your breath!....this is getting rediculous!!!!!
Something has got to be up with their system for you man. My dealer got me my VIN yesterday. No build dates or anything yet, just "In Order Processing" but seems like yours is bugged out. Hope you get your VIN and Truck soon man.

Sponsored

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I believe Ford messed me up also. This week,4 months into waiting, my dealers Ford Rep committed to contact the scheduling dept to expedite my build. We shall see!
Same long long wait here. It appears as though the VIN is generated when they have a production slot. No VIN probably means they have a supply issue for a particular option. I would expect the dealer status screen to show a "production week" assigned since you have received a VIN. Customer tracking site does not show the production week.

Now that you have a VIN you can review your order on the tracking site. A window sticker link will appear on your customer tracking site screen a few days before your production week. My build is scheduled for 2/1/2021. It will be interesting to see if my status screen shows a "Built" status at the end of this week. Then I can only quess how long shipping takes.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
Same long long wait here. It appears as though the VIN is generated when they have a production slot. No VIN probably means they have a supply issue for a particular option. I would expect the dealer status screen to show a "production week" assigned since you have received a VIN. Customer tracking site does not show the production week.

Now that you have a VIN you can review your order on the tracking site. A window sticker link will appear on your customer tracking site screen a few days before your production week. My build is scheduled for 2/1/2021. It will be interesting to see if my status screen shows a "Built" status at the end of this week. Then I can only quess how long shipping takes.
I don’t have a VIN yet.

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
Nice. I just ordered mine from Penske La Mesa today. San Diego Shan Persaud sales guy.
Priority 10 retail.
Hope it all goes well. Im in no hurry just want it to be built right with options I want.

By the way they had a boat load of new 2021 F-150's on the lot maybe 20+?
I went nuts going through them all trying to see each option I ordered on one truck here another there, taking pictures. LOL
Just spoke with my sales rep at Penske Ford. He said their business model is to be a low price / high volumn dealership and for them to be the low price leader in the San Diego region. They are all paid a flat salary and compensated on volumn not profit margin. He says I qualify for all current rebates except for the aged inventory rebate. By the way, since I'm a cash buyer, I will only need to finance $8,000 to get the finance incentive with no pre payoff penalties. Final incentives will be determined when the vehicle is delivered to the regional distribution lot (there are two in the San Diego area) not the dealership. He is going to work up the bottom line on Tuesday with the caveat that incentives may change by the time it is delivered to the distribution lot.

MikeOnTheMove

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 F-150 Supercrew
Occupation
Retired
I don’t have a VIN yet.
Bummer. Ask the dealer what the "production week" is. If it dosen't show in the dealer display then you have not been slotted for production. The customer tracking site does not show the production week, nly the dealer can tell you! Have him email the Ford Rep and ask what's going on with your order.

tommywingard

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
Retired
I ordered on 1/19/21 and have already received a VIN. I'd imagine you already have one or it's coming very soon!

My dealer sent a screenshot of his tracker which says "scheduled" and shows a dealer ETA of 2/22. I'm not seeing this on the Ford website tracker so I'm still a bit skeptical of that ETA and believe it may be a build date vs an actual delivery date in PA.

F-150Tyler
1FTFW1E81MFB06277​
SCHEDULED​
02/22​
R002​
W1E​
501A​
E7​
HB​
2021​
I ordered my Platinum 9/28/20 and have yet to get a VIN.
Sponsored